First-time negative CRP experience- should I try again?

TopazTheMagi

Hello. I hate reading complain-y posts on here, because this is supposed to be a place where we all share in a good experience together, so if you're like me and you fall down rabbit holes of people complaining and it makes you mad yourself then this is your sign to turn around and go do something that makes you happy. For those who unlike me can read this stuff with a level head, here's another complaint post. (I didn't see any better forum for this nor a rule against it, so if there is let me know and I will take this down immediately.)

I had my first honor CRP experience today. It was... bad. Really bad. I know it's about highs and lows in RP, and I'm supposed to be able to roll with it, but it really knocked me out. ...literally. I felt a bit targeted by the dm- I was forced to fail a very simple attack that by and large should have hit (just "stab a large thing right in front of me", more or less), allowing it to bite me, which made my character unconsious in six rounds (and weakened to uselessness within them), leaving me out of the rest of the fight and basically just sending me home afterwards. None of the other characters suffered any damage. I know my character was inexperienced, but that shouldn't have made me fail that attack. We were using honor CRP- the DM decided I would fail that attack. I'd be fine if anyone else suffered anything, or it had happened once I'd actually seen the rest of the fight- but it was more or less the first thing that happened! I won't name the DM because I guess they were just doing their job, but it was the first player-versus-DM encounter I'd ever had, and it feels kind of ruined for me now. The one thing I can credit the DM for is not killing me because it was my first time, but to me it still felt like much of the same thing, because I missed out on getting the same experience as the players around me. (And if I ever bothered again, he'd surely kill me that time.)

Should I bother with combat on this server again, or is it the same thing every time? Immediate knockout by a low-level grunt if I'm not already a terrific combatant? I am asking genuinely, I know you lot are very gatekeep-y and I'm wondering if it's even worth it to try again or if it'll just be more of the same and I should just go play something else.

As someone who has engaged in far too many CRP duels on this server, I'll give you my two cents.

Most CRP fights that you'll take on the server will never end up how you expect them to. You'll often find yourself disagreeing with attacks your opponents make or defensive maneuvers they take. In this case, I think you'll find it useful to reach out to them in the OOC chat or through /msg and politely ask them to further explain their move. If they don't convince you, I'd suggest trying to find a middle ground and if not that, asking a server moderator what they think.

I know you currently feel discouraged about the CRP system, but it is a part of the game. Undoubtably, your first experience seemed horrible but I'm sure you'll eventually run into other players who just want to create a prestigious narrative and will be much more amenable in combat. Don't let this one experience ruin one of the most exciting elements of the server for you.

10 minutes ago, satinkira said:

If you didn’t enjoy an event due to unfair CRP, the problem lies with the DM, not general honour CRP.

this

honor CRP is very different from event combat given the DM can literally play god and force things, no matter how outlandish, on your character for any number of reasons

but that doesn't make your disappointment any less valid. players are still deserving of fun and enjoyable RP even in an environment as controlled as an event, and even if you weren't killed, the frustration is understandable. nobody likes doing *is unconscious* RP for 6 rounds

no combat encounter you have on the server will be the same. much like any other niche of RP, it has its highs and lows. some combat is subpar if not torturous, but if you find the right players who are willing to reciprocate a narrative, it could end up being one of the most memorable encounters you have on the server

hmu if you ever want to RP, jade#7537

never crp. powergame then force a modreq so a mod's time will be wasted. frustrate your enemy into agreeing to pvp you.

activate the chuckaboo whirlwind and slaughter all and reform.

Yes, I think you should!

I am TheBeagle, otherwise known as the person who has a mental breakdown whenever her character dies, and she starts frantically dming people for emotional support.

CRP sucks a lot sometimes and I will openly admit that I suck at it. Well, TBH my emotes are alright but i'm afraid of my character dying or having a major personality shift forced on her.  For example- watching your character randomly and stupidly die out of nowhere.  I got no advice for this other than to stay out of unwanted CRP by avoiding roads, always riding a horse, wearing armor all the time, staying in gated cities, always having a friend nearby, etc etc etc.

If you're worried about stupid stuff happening to your character during an event that you want to attend, however, I dont think you should be.  Simply avoid that DM in the future or talk to them about your experience.  I think most DMs try to give a realistic experience.  IDK, but it could also be possible that you got bitten in order for the DM to create a sort of a story with the encounter "first, they watch their friend die, then they get revenge!"  Personally, I haven't had a really negative encounter with a DM yet. In fact, I think events are generally pretty fun because you get to decide to go to them, and so you're mentally prepared for everything and it's on your own terms.

CRPing events with people you already know should be fine, especially if they know you don't like unrealistic injuries/deaths.  And ST are normally very good at handling events since, well, that's kind of their job. And CRP with friends is good because it means both of you don't really want to see eachother's character die, but instead you both know you're all just trying to follow the communal story.

2 hours ago, High_On_Math said:

I got no advice for this other than to stay out of unwanted CRP by avoiding roads, always riding a horse, wearing armor all the time, staying in gated cities, always having a friend nearby, etc etc etc.

this is not behavior you should be encouraging on new players

As someone who's ran CRP events for communities before, sometimes it can be hectic to keep track of what's going on. Even if that's not really what happened, it's possible your character just wasn't in a good position, etc etc during the event.

Ive run events where people get "targeted" just because of their positioning, and even though it's possible it was ooc, I doubt it was. Reach out to the DM, talk in the community that it was hosted in about it and such and you'll get more of a flow with it.

In short, you shouldn't refuse to crp because it went wrong, just look back at what happened and change your approach irp or stay in ooc contact with the event dm and other players just to have a good scope of what's going on. Either way, my brain is jumbled right now it'd be easier to explain things another time.

I have an inkling of what event it was and I'd be more than happy to talk about it or other server related event things. (Discord is Aehkaj#6620)

2 hours ago, Unwillingly said:

this is not behavior you should be encouraging on new players

tbf

If someone really did want to avoid getting murdered
irp and irl

this is good advice.

Thank you for the help, everyone. I've decided I may crp again- though probably not another event. (And thank you for the mass response- i'm surprised even one of you answered, let alone seven!) I hope you all have a good day, and thank you for your time! :)

On 12/28/2022 at 1:33 AM, Borin said:

tbf

If someone really did want to avoid getting murdered
irp and irl

this is good advice.

good thing that "advice" is neither a character based fear nor irl circumstance. we shouldn't shove our characters into a metal box and do everything in our power to avoid interaction in a world built on interaction, because at that point you're guaranteed to be an OOC headache to anyone who tries to do something with you in a way that negatively impacts your character. and at that point it's not about an IC paranoia of being murdered, it's an irrational OOC fear

Let's not argue, folks, everyone wants to play their character a different way and that's fine. If someone plays their character a way you don't like, do what tumblr do and just avoid them. I too care a lot about my characters, and my misguided sense of justice does make me irrationally upset at times, so I try not to bother it. While I disagree for other reasons, I see where she is coming from. Aren't we supposed to create the RP we want to see here? Make friends with players like you, and if someone plays a way you don't agree with, you are rarely under obligation to interact- much less argue with the way they play. You won't like everyone you play with, and not everyone you play with will like you. It's the way it is.

...and I guess I've just explained my own problem to myself, huh? Thanks for letting me walk myself through that. I'll be unfollowing this topic now, but have a nice day, everyone.

Its a game my friend.  i will give you this advice in that you should not take what happens to your character too personally or to heart.  think of a powergamer like your first time fighting a souls boss.  its aggravating, but its also just a game and you’re not gonna quit on the first try are you?  No.  

all in all.  people here already know who’s - who and its up to you to, to be able to roll with the punches and continuously provide quality rp in the face of idiocy.  there comes a certain point when someone starts to realize their actions when you are reacting positively and outplay them purely through your ability of writing.   

trust me.  the single emote, triple back flip naruto elden ring movesets shine bright amidst true and honest roleplay.  just keep doing your thang fam,  hang in there!  :)