The Wise-Sayings of the Tribunal

JoanOfArc

The Wise-Sayings of the Tribunal

Written by Kathivmor

Dedicated to Beowulf the Betrayed, The An-Gho, and Serinath

GIIDQkLe2v1wuNt-Sqz8Hvu-0dvjK-ripombTkarIvOuH3gI9UqeytPOictRzJK8Y1GeYf3ueFRvvHF-QBFKZOWlUkrcNkpWiQlfv_ww6T6P8cCFchKST7ZbAF-gmmW4MIhsJ0lsmzNYXt5hVHLdnCjdEpA9QWdTvDdyGeJoBO8iXa7z-g5K1jUURJ59TQ

An depiction of the author and their friends resting on a beach in Savoy, 1905.

Here is a collection of thoughts, sayings, and proverbs offered by teachers far beyond my own wisdom on life. While incomplete, I hope they offer you a deeper understanding of life as they did for me.

[An excerpt of 'The Wise-Sayings of the Tribunal']

"How may a race be won if the runner yields before it is done?"

The An-Gho

"The Lord God provided two miracles for which we should forever rejoice: that we were born and that we have a protector in the Titan."

Serinath

"To war is to purge. To purge is to purify. To purify is to be godly. To be godly is to be like our father in the skies."

Beowulf the Betrayed

"The only thing more frightening than a lie is an elf speaking the truth."

Beowulf the Betrayed

"Individuality is the death of love."

Serinath

"Death is a lie."

The An-Gho

"Trust not the words of the poet, for their words are empathetic, but to be so, they are half-truths."

The An-Gho

"Death is the ultimate reward for a warrior."

Beowulf the Betrayed

“No matter how far the fire is spread, all flames are alike, and all fires burn the same, the only difference being the scope of that fire. So there is no difference in fire, all is unity - even in strife. So here the An-Gho wonders, how it is that it can be Arbiter, when itself is a flickering flame, among rows upon rows of flickering candles - just as he. So what is a man? So what is a man? A man is nothing.”

The An-Gho

"Have you ever considered the birds of the sky?"

"No, I have not, teacher."

"They were free the moment they were born. How I envy even birds for their lack of shackles!"

Serinath to Beowulf the Betrayed

"Serinath was a teacher and a friend to me. Bringing me truths I had never known as a king. But he never let me know peace while he taught. He trained my mind while sword fighting, making me recite lessons, beating me whenever I messed up a proverb or hit.  I scowled at these beatings and his yelling when I did not meet his standard. However, when I slayed ten combatants in a trial and solved endless riddles, my teacher revealed this to me. ‘The teaching of discontentment is paramount as it breeds a desire for refinement. Refinement is the path of our Father, for the world is constantly being refined to be in his Image.’"

Beowulf the Betrayed

"Beware of enlightenment, for knowledge will be all our undoing."

The An-Gho

"Nothing haunts my dreams more than a peaceful life in idyllic fields."

Beowulf the Betrayed

"Peace is the only state of being we may pray to achieve in this life."

Serinath

"Existence is a pitiable thing."

The An-Gho

"In the end, I will forgive you where you failed to forgive a crime you imagined I had committed- and had destroyed me for it."

The An-Gho in reference to the righteous. 

"To yours, I am terrifying. To mine, I am beautiful. Will you judge mine based on our appearances however? Will we be nothing but a testament to the descendant preference of aesthetic beauty rather than the heat of our hearts and our aspirations to make better this troubled world."

The An-Gho

"Self-control is understanding you are nothing but a piece in the Titan’s plan."

Beowulf the Betrayed

"Do you consider yourself a warrior?"

"I do, teacher."

"Then know war in itself is futile. I learned this too late. While we revere the physical, never forget that the spiritual is where the Deceiver triumphs over us. Fight, then, with prayer always."

Serinath to Beowulf the Betrayed

"By accepting this charge, you acknowledge that you will die. Your purpose is to die. You will become mighty, you will wield powers beyond your comprehension; but this power is borrowed, and its price is your death at its master’s command."

Beowulf the Betrayed

"As if we were busts or statues for kings, the Nephilim are icons for our father. To represent the Warden of the world, there is no greater honor."

Beowulf the Betrayed

The An-Gho, intercede for us.

Beowulf reads over the parchment, before looking towards his newfound scribe in a silence. He did not realize she was actually listening. 

Helinathe and Eluitholnear frolick in the fields of the underworld. 

Sike. 

They are tortured statues.

Vothdrem sits in his hole and rambles to his hoard of riches about how the skygods suddenly deleted the conversation he had just had with himself in an attempt to cover up their ineptitude.

Somewhere in the eastern regions of Almaris lays a copy of these wise sayings, annotated to death, inevitably to be sealed into a notebook of philosophical ramblings and eclectic findings.