[Declassified] The Saffar Letter

Kingdom of Balian

HIaS5N81M8TBsVaENVzJfnu9q7a92LVj-mq_1iOYKU0drdbBQBSYziH7Jk065mM9XzwYJ0ZSYv0QUY2f26j7eF8yL4OAdZNdUhOSCyzzRyOZF-VKfHrFwMDxAWC9IlETBYn6M5bdjD_VC-SRKwh3jpSPOXj_L8l3d8axYF2DORgDO8E8_K-o7dYUGIsyaw

[Mood]

The following document has been declassified by the Office of the Principal Secretary of Balian on the 22nd of the Amber Cold, 109 SA.

A missive from a deputy minister of the Principality of Ba’as, it laments the condition of our state and proposes several administrative reforms to the Balianese government, while also inviting the kingdom into Ba’as’ sphere of influence via a marriage and military pact.

It is believed to have arrived in the court of Balian in the year 1902, and has been declassified roughly three years later.

__

sigil_of_basrid-removebg-preview.thumb.png.f257f9057f77177b4648261e8f5a344e.png

__

To the Chief Minister of the Kingdom of Balian,

It is with great concern that I, the Second Vizier of the ever-lustrous Principality of Ba'as, must address the state of your realm. It is my hope that this letter and the agent that arrives with it will serve as a guide for your reform, for the betterment of your people and for the good of the distant lands of Almaris. These lands are near to our heart even if they have fallen into a state of squalor, as they are where the father of our glorious prince Balthazar, Simon Basrid, once ended his legend.

As a civilized and advanced society, it is our duty to assist those who are less fortunate. However, we have noted the continued lack of progress among the successor states of Almaris as unacceptable and as an item in our diplomatic catalog that must be addressed. It is clear that Balian is struggling with low literacy rates, a lack of a firm cultural identity, and a weak central government with a poor and paralyzed decision-making process. Your attempts to ape the Akritian cultures of the east without basis are misguided and will only lead to further stagnation.

Myself and even our magnanimous Prince Balthazar believe that Balian possesses a unique potential among all the successor human states. Your kingdom is located away from the constant feuding of other primitive kingdoms, and holds the opportunity to embrace a new identity that combines the best of Petrine, Rhenyari, and old Balthalite cultures.

I implore you to strengthen your central government and establish a strong cabinet to improve decision-making. Embrace the rich cultural heritage of your own Petrine ancestors. Explore the lands that your people have settled to rediscover the lost civilization of the Balthalites and their champion, St. Lothar the Bannerlord. Strengthen your ties with Ba'as so that you may receive more Rhenyari influence and guidance to understand the Akritian ways.

The principality of Ba'as is also willing to offer further assistance beyond our advisors lending their aid in administrative reform. We seek a pact with Balian, and are willing to offer one of our princesses to wed the crown prince of Balian. Her dowry will be a priceless marble tablet we have recovered in your continent, an ancient Stone of Lothar that depicts his civilization. 

In return for the hand of one of our illustrious princesses, we ask that the kingdom of Balian aid us in our fight against the Rudran Samraaj by offering five carracks worth of men to besiege the island fortress of Manglagowda, where wicked Rudran sorcerers cast arcane storms to harass our supply lines.

One of our former spymasters, the elf known as Shalasannan Doxos, courier of this letter and appointed Emissary to the lands of Almaris, is here to serve you in your efforts to reform and negotiate any terms of our pact. I urge you to take this letter to heart and begin the work of reclaiming your kingdom's unique identity and potential. The Principality of Ba'as stands ready to assist you in any way we can.

Sincerely,

Theophilus Saffar, 

Second Vizier of the ever-lustrous Principality of Ba'as and Servant of the Silver Comet

Edited by Kingdom of Balian

Guillermo pours over the declassified document during one of his boring shifts at the front gate. The letter brought some thought provoking ideas to the front of his mind about the future of their kingdom.

A Rhenyari restaurant would be a most welcome addition to the bazaar or the tavern. It would be nice for some of his buddies to stop by for some snacks after a long shift guarding the city. 

"Indeed, a government reform is in order to revitalize the governance and institutions of the state. I agree, Marcus. I pray that His Majesty the King hears our voice."

Lord Lucius Galbraith, at that time Senator of Balian, would have said to Marcus Galbraith almost ten years ago. "I will bring my suggestions to King John, the first of his name." 

Princess Mariya of Balian glanced over the declassified letter with interest. Would her cousin take the Rhenyari Princess hand? And would Balian aid the Rhenyari in besieging the island fortress of Manglagowda with an Undead Dragon at their very doorstep? She thought on it immensely that day, wondering what decisions might be made.

After many years of silence, a letter is delivered to Theophilus Saffar.

To the Second Vizier of the Principality of Ba'as,

At first- let me give my warmest apologies for the years that have passed since this letter was delivered. I believe myself to be a man who would allow his children the option to forge their own futures, I will not pledge my Son and Heir to be wed to one of your Princesses- though I will accept them as guests in my home so that they might, on their own accord, develop a relationship with Hadrian. I can make no promises on their future- for I will not involve myself in their affairs. He is free to make his own decisions, as I was when I was his age. That is not to say that a wedding will not occur- for it very much could.

I take it that you and your Principality follow our progress with a very scrutinous eye- and I hope that the changes and reforms that we have implemented guide us on a path towards this new identity and culture that we have so desperately needed. Our findings on the Lothar Stones- and our mission in acquiring them, has so far been for naught. Though, we are intending on a reformation of our military that should help in this process, I wish not to get too much into the details in the case that this letter is intercepted by malicious parties- but know that I believe we are on the right path.

Shalassanan Doxos has been an immense asset to us- so much so that I fear we may have deprived yourself of a great mind, though his willingness to give us assistance where we need it- and his expertise with a pen is something I have seen very few able to accomplish to date. I appreciate your decision, as well as his, in aiding us in this continent.

We will send these five carracks you requested- in return for the possibility of a future marriage between our two Houses. I will, again, say it is no certainty- though given your aid through Shalassanan thus far- I feel the least I can do is help you with this issue you have been having. I look forward to meeting these Princesses.

Warmest Regards,

Alexander I, King of Balian