[PK] Karl III: A Crown of Scars

GMRO

“It goes on”

His voice seemed to echo for ages, Amadea stood motionless upon the balcony after Karl drew his last breath, his final words replaying in her head. There is no telling how long the aged woman stood upon the ledge, whether minutes or hours had passed, she was unsure.

What had started as a beautiful day had turned quicker than one could take a breath. As if God had decided to play a joke upon the woman, as the King fell, it so seemed that the sun followed suit, the clouds closing in upon the sunny sky as snow rapidly began to fall. The cold, that could not be ignored. The cold, the cold would sink in, but the passing - his passing, would not.

Spoiler

lots of love, you actual schizo x

Marius Audemar wept, for his father was gone.

Had  it  been  so  long?  Since the times of his father burying him beneath the powder-snow of the Rimeveld along with  his  sister  to  teach  the  Princeling  discipline.  Since the times of drawn out politicking, upon the matters of foreign affairs, the management of the Kingdom. Since the times of Warfare where his father stood tall among all, as a beacon to remind each soldier valiantly that the fight goes on, that the battle was not lost- victory was ahead.

He wondered if all had been in vain, if all had been for naught. His father gave him life, education, his father gave him fight.
It was he who crafted him from a young boy to a prospering man, meticulous in his lessons and word. He battled the thought of if life would continue, if it could all go on, if he could continue to be the man his father expected of it. The final words between Karl and Marius offered the boy closure, words he would look back upon:
"Live without me, Marius. That is all I shall say. Your legacy is your own."

Marius was his sword, his ears, his advisor.
Trumping everything, Marius was his son.

This life of his, goes on, so Marius smiled.
"Rest now, father. Your final triumph."

Spoiler

it was so good. would absolutely relive the past 8 months of your reign without hesitation. one of the best i've seen mister jim rowe.

The clock ticked in the office of the Barclay Bargains office, where Wilheim Barclay had spent many hours of late. An unfinished catalogue, lists of the current stock, as well as many diagrams of potential weapons to forge all lined the establishment's desk, though all works were buried under the missive announcing His Majesty's death. His eyes lingered on the words, though none went through to the man, his mind blank as he simply stared at the paper before him.

Rather than words, his mind turned to memories of himself in the Morrivi's meeting room with the King, specifically the time his advice was requested once or twice. He never knew if Karl took the advice to heart or if he simply asked for the sake of it - Wilheim never could read the man, no matter how hard he tried - though the request from the ruler had done much to raise the young Duke's confidence after that day.

Eventually, he then stood up, taking a bottle from one of the desks's drawers, labelled Duchess' Secret Whiskey. The cork was removed from the top before he'd open the window of the top floor, then flipping the bottle upside down as he allowed the contents to empty on the streets below. Whether he committed a crime or not, he didn't know, and perhaps it might not have been a grand gesture, but it was the only way he could think to honor his late liege in such a short time. The final drops of the whiskey were spared from a fall onto the streets below, and instead they lined Wilheim's throat. A grimace befell his lips, before he'd finally speak on the matter; "Wer Rastet, Der Rostet. Und GOTT knows du didn't do either."

The sounds echoes off the mossy walls of the stairway, as he slowly crept down into those tombs of ancient kings long past. He skanned those names that he had seen a hundred times, not only on the metallic plaques, but also racing across his innermost thoughts. 

Borris had remembed talking with Karl during Lifstala... his cousin that had now fled back into the darkness. With age and sickness there comes death. "My friend- It was an honor to write for you... your wedding, your coronation, your great deeds and your legacy... I will miss you, cousin, for I fear it shall be a long time pass before I join you in the skies. Farewell my King,, Karl."

Iulius Vernhart, the long since departed scholar sat with a soft smile upon a hill just outside of the entrance to the Seven Skies. Iulius just smiled as he saw his first pupil- that once young boy that the King trusted him with teaching. "Vy did quite well, Vyr Majesty. Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life."

"May vy rest in peace vyr Majesty and rest well in the Seven Skies." Stanimar Kvazyev would murmur beneath his breath as he signed the Lorraine Cross and gave the now deceased Monach a few moments of silence as a sign of respect.

An orderly ran to inform the Lord-Captain as he sat in the hall of the BSK keep with his children. 
The young man had tears in his eyes. Felix took the missive and scanned it. Quickly, the man fell to his knees on the floor. 

"Nie - nie, he was getting better.." He muttered. He slammed his eyes shut. 
In that moment, he remembered the first day he'd met his old friend, and everything he had done for Felix's family. 

And he wept right there. 

Branimar Kvazyev mourns the death of his favorite monarch.

From the Seven Skies, Queen Emma likely had begun a new enterprise of bakeries in order to feed the wandering souls who rotated through her doors. With Haeseni delicacies, attempts at childhood favourites as well as home-crafted recipes, one needed only to follow the wafting smell of burning to pinpoint the Queen’s efforts. With a sixth sense only a mother might possess, as Karl expelled a last breath a small smile etched itself into her expression.

That night, one more place was set at their table. They were to welcome a son, a brother, a friend, home.

The Morrivi was cold – colder than usual – and though she sat before a raging fire, Ophelie could not keep herself from trembling. Honesty was all she ever sought in this world, but the practice of that showy ideal was more than she could bare. “I know my son,” were the words echoing through her mind, a cruel taunt and a divine kindness all the same, as she sat rigidly still in one of the palace’s myriad antechambers. 

This place was her home – Karl had said so himself – but it felt distant and chilly. She scarcely recognized it now that the truth had so shattered the illusion she had created for herself. The King spoke out of kindness, not cruelty, but there existed an unshakeable feeling inside of her that the ailing man had acted out of malice – that he left her thusly as a wicked method of ensuring he was remembered. She knew it was nonsense, but what was she to do other than rebuild the fortress of delusion she had once sat so loftily atop? 

“You are Haeseni,” the King had said. It was all she ever longed for: an admission that, although her blood was Orenian, her heart beat along with the drums of Haeseni war. And though the words should have brought her comfort, they brought only the familiar sting of shame the woman had known all her life. She was a coward and a fake, relying on the kindness of others to prop her up: Georg, Valdemar, Marius, Karl. Each of them had provided fleeting comfort – fleeting warmth – but perhaps she would never quite recover from that frigid trek from Guise to Karosgrad all those years ago. Perhaps no amount of warmth could sate her. 

She knew that Karl would be dead within the day, and even that she tried to deny. He is strong. He is mighty. He is King. But even the mightiest among men must die, and no one, not even a King, was God. Karl had assured her that God would be merciful to both of them, but something in her wished it were not true. Karl certainly deserved His grace: he had created something beautiful, he had strengthened Haense, and he left behind a family who loved him dearly. What had she done? She wished, perhaps a sign of her lingering naivete, that she could take his place. She wished she could die in his stead -- face God's wrath for all her sins -- and that he could go on living and ruling. Marius could live without her, but not without his father. She wished that she were strong enough to do it – to spare her love the pain she knew so well – but she knew in her heart of hearts that she was not. King Karl III died a matter of hours after their last words were spoken: "Krusae Zwy Kongzem," and Ophelie lived on.

Sigrun Ireheart was shocked as he had talked to the man just a couple hours prior. "Yeh wereh good son, real good, maybeh even taeh best."

Wilfriche Sigismund cried. "May the king rest, long live the king." He said through wet eyes and shallow breaths.

"Karl-dono is dead.. horry shittu. Must be elven spy." The man stated with a dour tone, sharpening a piece of wood.

Wolfgang de Vilain stood alone atop the old hills of Acre, watching over the silent town. He smiled, reminiscing about his time there, then looked up and watched the sun go by. 

"You gave me a chance to fight for my land. Something I never would have had if you never bothered to hear out this young Heartlander. And even when that did not go to plan, you still welcomed me and my family with open arms into your home when we had no where else to go. I wouldn't have been the man I am today if you did not share your kindness with me, and I am forever grateful for it all."

Wolfgang let out a heavy sigh. As if this was something he was wanting to get out for a while.

"I will not let your kindness go to waste. I have decided to care and fight for the nation you once ruled. The one you let many call home, even if they were not born in it. I will protect the thing you fought so hard to build up."

Wolfgang got up from his spot on the hill, taking one last glance at the setting sun and flashing it a smile. He reached to a pouch on his belt, taking out a Carrion Black. He popped open the cork, looking at the bottle. 

"If only we had met sooner. Maybe we could have shared more drinks with each other."

The man took a swig of his drink, then pouring some out for his friend.

"Rest well, King Karl III."

Klara Elizaveta set forth a sigh she had been holding since the first announcement of her brother's ill health. Staring up at the terribly blue sky of Jerovitz, she did not weep. She had not said goodbye when she met him last, could not bring herself to think of spending years without the assurance of his presence in the world.

There were no words, nothing she could say. Nothing she could do, in the end. It seemed her siblings, one by one, were determined to leave her as the last of them. With a soft, almost wretched gasp, she penned in one word next to Karl's name in her private papers, redistributing items as needed. 

"Ea promised Ea would niet say dravi. Ea promsied." With that, the aged woman spoke no more for quite some time.

Josefina Barclay bowed her head in prayer, both for the old king and the new, and for her dearest sister, Esfir.