[PK] Karl III: A Crown of Scars

GMRO

Breasal poured a cup of ale in the ground then filling up his cup again, he'd drink it in one go " Agh.... C'eers tae ya mista King, A 'ope yar spiri' res's in peace, ya were a kind frien' tae us Weefolk an' A t'ank ya fer t'a' ".

A mali ker read the missive from deep within the confines of a fur tent. The burning crackle of a fire accompanies the man as he examines the parchment before him.

Once a Lord Marshal of the Kingdom, a light smile escapes Hieran Melphestaus.

"That monarch really was something, one of the few humans who seemed to be as old as I."

From within their home Gwendel Vilac would light a candle hearing of the passing of the late King Karl III, uttering a prayer for his soul now that it would journey to the Seven Skies..

Johanna sat in a cabin within the seven skies, happily milling about among an evergreen forest. The Palatine had walked through some of the later accomplishments of Karl’s reign; she stood alongside him as they drafted missives and architecture planning together. When the ripple that was Karl’s death echoed throughout the Seven Skies, she stepped out onto her front porch and looked to the clear skies and forest that resembled that around Karosgrad so closely, she smiled.

“Allow yourself the peace you are owed,

And watch the world you have built continue.”

Wandering home from the Brotherhood of Saint Karl’s barracks, a small girl cloaked in a bear pelt looked up from the square of Karosgrad. She saw something that others could not, and she waved as she saw another soul ascend. “Goodbye, safe travels.” She watched for another moment before continuing to walk.

Roui would be stood within the clinic, the news reaching his ears rather quickly. Loss was not something the elf was unaccustomed to, but this one hurt. On Roui's hip was his light-weight sabre that was gifted to him from the King himself. He rested his hand upon the pommel, gazing out the entrance to the pretty day outside. He allowed his feet to carry him outside, so that he may stand under the sky. 

Turning his gaze up, he'd speak in a low voice. Only enough for himself and whoever was up there to hear.

"I wish we would've been able to speak one more time. My heart hurts for the loss this Kingdom has suffered, and my heart will continue to hurt with the tone of our last conversation..

After he had concluded, the elf would then allow silence to linger around himself as he made way back into the clinic, breathing some final words. "May you rest well, King Karl III..."

As the news came to the Lord Marshal, his expression grew uneased, though tormented by the news he was halted by faint disbelief. Laying the missive down, the corner of his eye still however gazed upon it. He remembers what Karl had done for him, Jaroslav and his kin. "My service is everlasting vyr Majesty" was all the man could utter before folding the paper, letting a moment of silence pass.

There, in a quiet nook within the alleyways of her Kingdom, a woman should listen to a crow - through it's ramblings and cries, it'd speak of a death. Through veiled and obscured eyes, a weep was in order, or at the very least a few fallen tears - to at least attempt to honour the man she shared so little blood with.

Her efforts turned to naught, as what was sadness only came through in a wallowing empty pit. So she sat, and she listened. 

Far in the deserts oasis of the south, a wandering pilgrim walks barefoot through the sands. Coming to a stop at a passing caravan of merchants and traders, the grave tidings of his homeland is brought before him swiftly. The Koeng was dead.

Later that eve, where the starry canvas of the nights sky gleamed the brightest, Kazimir Ruthern comes to sit upon a rock, staring upward in meditative prayer. He recalls the monarch who had chosen to spare his life that fateful day, and set him upon the righteous path of GOD.

Stony gaze settiling upon one lone constellation in particular, the Grand Inquisitor signs the Hussariyan fervantly.

"May GOD keep him, and grant him the rest he deserves in the Seven Skies. He has done his duty."

Spoiler

Ratibor Kazimir Sarkozic heard of the news within his cave somewhere in the outskirts of Adria, merely shrugging. "Eja! Another zhenya Tsar who thought he could stop us with Adrija am gone! Dobry Godani!" He then turned to his pancakes that he baked, paying too much attention to the death of the late King. "Oh niet! Moj blin! Cyka!"

The former Lady Palatine, Isabel of Valwyck, hobbled around her forested cottage with a grunt.

Upon hearing the news of Karl’s passing, she let out a few quiet cries that did not quite echo into the night, but only the confines of her wooded cabin.

A tender somberness swept over the small holding as she remembered.

Spoiler

thank you GMRO for allowing me the opportunity to be your palatine for the first three months of your reign!! we did pretty good :) and thank you for your service towards Haense!! 

"When I had to put down my wife the man was one of the first people to hear me out and understand. When Ser Jakob was whipped for trying to carry out testing His Majesty stood by us, trying his best to not scorn the knights when he had the chance. He gave us towers, allowed us to continue to flourish, stood by the order. His Majesty was a warrior and ally to the Order of the Crow. I expected death in battle but I am glad you found peace either way." Conrad lit up a cigarette, going to take his first drink of carrion in years in memory of the late king.

Adele Ludovar bows her head solemnly for her King that night, reminiscing on the many meetings they had held together. As a young lady of the Kingdom, she had watched after the Grand Prince with interest, though never really speaking with him until her father's passing. 

Years later, he had generously granted her the honour of being his High Justiciar and graciously accepted her advice from that point onwards. She was very grateful for that honourable man, and thoroughly indebted to him for his kindness. 

A candlelight shines from the aged woman's office window that night ...

As his father took hold of the missive from the messenger boy, Audo looked over. A stillness had come about the Brotherhood's hall; a thick tension.

"Nie - nie, he was getting better." Felix muttered. 

The tone, the words, the shake of his hands was enough for Audo to cue in on what grevious news the missive contained.

Godan, why?

As Sierra approached her father, Audo collapsed onto the seat he had just stood from, folding his hands behind his head and craning his face towards the table, a beautiful nothing to gaze upon.

Did vy niet hear us?

Vaguely aware that Felix had begun to cry, Audo did nothing for him.

Everyone here, we prayed!

Another two entered the room - conversation - noise.

Shut up. Shut up. Shut up.

He moved to drag his hands down his face, rake his fingers against his cheeks at the insufferable interference.  

In a split moment decision, Audo straightened himself up and marched himself out of the room. Though his head did not actively think of where he was going, his feet just took the initiative. No mind was paid to those in the square or his family. Nobody bothered the boy. Perhaps that was best. His mind caught up when he found himself outside of the back gate of Karosgrad, when he climbed the steep bank and when he sat himself atop the marred ground that nature had reclaimed since the siege with now-covered dips, divets and scars that would forever mark the land. He couldn't say why he has gone there and yet,
there was comfort.

After some time, Audo raised his face to the sky. The rain smuged his lenses, washed his vision in a blur of grey skies. Times were changing, and they would always change. People told him everyone had their time but that did not mean he wanted to face it.
"Ea hope vy at least heard the rest ea had to say..." He whispered. 

"King Karl may have not held de iure the title of Fidei Defensor, yet during his reign he has acted de facto as the Defender of the Faith, for he has managed to keep the peace amongst Canondom and be the shield that guards the realms of men. For that reason, His Majesty the King Karl III of Haense has my respect." Lord Lucius, now bedridden, would have said to Marcus Galbraith almost ten years ago from now "I pray that his royal successor continues to embrace the union of humanity over strange alliances with other races, for nothing is more important than the supremacy of man and our Lord GOD." he concluded.

Aleksandr Leopold knew that if he just looked up at the stars enough, he would find memory of his dear grandfather.