CAUTERIZING CHARACTER BLEED: Reevaluate Your RP

critter

I play to win because minecraft is a game and I want to win it

Another Critter post to restore faith in LOTC for a good day.

I love this post. 
Thank you very much critter.

The loathsome Dung Eater.

nTC2m9OmWVrp0BTkY2YP7xI9KRYE3G1_eBbOeBs9IAt_3eC0Zi7oFTMMJDAv85wjb59o5NELYwX6-nhhAWkfT6Y--4GhdVNoWi12UdwX0sZOE5oemxmswOH_s7V0rR0KySqyZ1DI2RmE3LFDhElk0FsRltpFZjMLmFYS0Z2LY38fH5smFxoBt2EQcsuOyw

Critter posts are so good that if you do the opposite of what they suggest you will turn into the most evil person imaginable.

🙌 Healthy rp healthy rp healthy rp healthy rp-

1 hour ago, critter said:

stop referring to your characters in the first person

this alone is very good advice. such a small thing that ive noticed so many people do (including myself at times) and making that little change goes a long way. good post.

what do u think about players who are the exception to the character/person separation? ive had my fair share of rp interactions with characters that turned out to be pretty similar/idealized versions of the irl player and their goals. im definitely not the only one whose experienced this. do u have anything for dealing w that?

19 minutes ago, Bonito said:

this alone is very good advice. such a small thing that ive noticed so many people do (including myself at times) and making that little change goes a long way. good post.

what do u think about players who are the exception to the character/person separation? ive had my fair share of rp interactions with characters that turned out to be pretty similar/idealized versions of the irl player and their goals. im definitely not the only one whose experienced this. do u have anything for dealing w that?

such a good question and also the thing that i struggle with the absolute most.

at LARP i tend to straight-up avoid these players tbh, but there's also a physical element there that we dont have online.

the most important thing is to encourage players, esp new players, to consciously and deliberately give their characters traits they, the player, do not have. a good persona tends to be a blend of relatability and contrast to its player (as most of us know, subconsciously or consciously), but obviously if you're already entangled with an idealized-self character that's not really an option. in those situations, distance and OOC check-ins to keep your boundaries steady + a line of communication/feedback open are probably the best moves, with more of one or the other depending on how things are going. alternatively if the player is not receptive to OOC check-ins re: the flow of rp/safety, forcibly keep everything wholly irp.

i wish i had more concrete advice, but i'm still navigating this one myself! thanks Bonito!

the server isn't advertised as a place to build a collective narrative. if it was, we'd likely get far better new players more interested in developing the story. instead..

image.png

7 minutes ago, satinkira said:

the server isn't advertised as a place to build a collective narrative. if it was, we'd likely get far better new players more interested in developing the story. instead..

image.png

Yeah, when writing this I had to refer to the community guidelines where it states

Together, we write a story. We write it in such a way that no single person owns a chapter, or even a full page. Gradually, as we discover more of this tale it reveals the exceptional appeal of our server: Thousands of people contributing verses to a grand narrative—simply by playing their own character.

to make sure I wasn't about to outright and utterly contradict the server mission. Putting the "collaborative" side first in advertising would be a huge relief to me, for one.

On 1/5/2023 at 10:36 PM, satinkira said:

image.png

I don't think our mission statement as any bearing on the quality of new players, nor is this necessarily incorrect, it's just promoting the freedom aspect of LotC's RP, which is definitely one of the server's most marketable traits.

Ultimately, it's essential to remember that most people who come onto the server as noobs are young people who will have to go through the usual growing pains.

this post is wonderful and so are you critter ; now as a collective we gotta prioritise not only recognising the bleed but countering it actively.

last thing i wanna see is people going 'so true so based!' and then immediately reptile-brain returning to exactly the mentality they had before as soon as they encounter mild inconvenience. 

think we can all say we're guilty of reading some good advice on good rp but spur-of-the-moment discarding it when we feel spited by others not taking such good faith; first step to changing community attitude is, even when encountered by bad faith, allow it - can rly make an impact on not only you (might feel like it sucks, letting 'some upstart newbie powergamer play-to-win self-insert' inconvenience your mighty lvl100 grizzled soldier-mage , but trust me - situations with some element of loss is fun rp, and really forces you to engage more with the story being built!! winning always doesn't let you incorporate actual character into your character, its setbacks that do so.) but also the other player. when other players encounter good-faith rp, especially in the long-run it encourages them to also participate in good-faith rp by creating an atmosphere of such.

On 1/8/2023 at 10:01 AM, puffables said:

....first step to changing community attitude is, even when encountered by bad faith, allow it - can rly make an impact on not only you (might feel like it sucks, letting 'some upstart newbie powergamer play-to-win self-insert' inconvenience your mighty lvl100 grizzled soldier-mage , but trust me - situations with some element of loss is fun rp, and really forces you to engage more with the story being built!! winning always doesn't let you incorporate actual character into your character, its setbacks that do so.) but also the other player. when other players encounter good-faith rp, especially in the long-run it encourages them to also participate in good-faith rp by creating an atmosphere of such.

this is absolute gospel truth. asking lotc players to be willing to lose is not my effort to ask them to stop having fun; it's to begin a deeper process that enables us all to have better, more consistent fun, and to share that fun with others

thank you Puffables for this addition