THE ROYAL DUANA OF BALIAN: THE GREAT ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES OF THE BALIANESE

HIGH_FIRE

THE ROYAL DUANA OF BALIAN

THE GREAT ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES OF THE BALIANESE

pa-s0qUX8IlDx3cLa921sfqmOQAsUlsFEicjo5Dt69MHaHo6YwEMhs-qQOitQiL2pp_BJW8ntv-HbYFgdpm_-mbMONGuctO-d9PT_zEsFX9n291GlVuQNkqiUsJMTjrmOdQBCL0F4S25n1FjnFm7NuoTVDNNjU5kN-nxSIESdtvyG_52jlvicgsgmfPN1g

oOSdk-gSx4MQLNqWp3gYBCSU9BOIhNXe91V2VukkvSyUVawFzLPTFbuLI5veJgvKnHsqOuFoVuidmjI4aDlFO41JiNnOZoYISKoT9P2jKCfliKtNjAVoT0hwe0XkgJaKaVIYcjDfttWBm7Ii_AhEiuER9U1ufmd53i9jW6m-aTfapIuBTnzApVhAVeC0ow

pa-s0qUX8IlDx3cLa921sfqmOQAsUlsFEicjo5Dt69MHaHo6YwEMhs-qQOitQiL2pp_BJW8ntv-HbYFgdpm_-mbMONGuctO-d9PT_zEsFX9n291GlVuQNkqiUsJMTjrmOdQBCL0F4S25n1FjnFm7NuoTVDNNjU5kN-nxSIESdtvyG_52jlvicgsgmfPN1g

The Kingdom of Balian has long been a prosperous and peaceful realm, but after the reign of John I, many called for meaningful administrative reform that would better reflect the evolving Balianese identity. The fervor and zeal of King John’s age had come to an end, and with it left a melting pot of Petrine, Rhenyari, and Qali identities that sought a stronger executive government that uniquely belonged to Balian.

As they considered the matter, John I’s successor, King Alexander, and his council were inspired by the eastern administrations of Rhen and the Petrine administrations of the fallen Holy Oren Empire. Both had developed advanced systems of governance that were efficient, effective, and unparalleled in the modern world. He saw the potential for similar reforms in Balian, and with the blessing of the people, he set about the task of forming the Royal Duana - a Petrine perversion of the eastern Diwan that was known to rule in states such as Ba’as. 

Like the Petrine governments of old, the body is made up of various secretaries that head government offices much like the model of the Basrid Ministry. However, the Duana itself maintains some cultural distinction by utilizing eastern titles such as Duana, Amiratus, Procurator, Legate, and more, along with adding a ministry devoted to maintaining positive relationships with the clergy.

AMIRATUS OF THE ROYAL DUANA

dFp18PkJOYaEvwMyFQXn_U0xBbFrh8eoSUL6o87eIYxxseQN9DsCF5zXF9aHv01EoitcV0IOo0dokyT9tJfFGLphtn7Hm817uZmMI_18LI6lRvV8mi_QhuF_D5OZa-AWaRElfYUIX5g3GC9uygL5ktaSmXhvDlay_YsgP4mvYlB8dpx-EFdYblVIw-gVfw

The Mesa of the Crownlands, 109 SA

Heading the Duana is Balian’s Amiratus, who serves as penultimate authority in the realm. They can appoint a Vice-Amiratus to serve as their deputy, and are in charge of staffing the Duana as well as leading the executive government of the country. 

The title of Amiratus is notably found in the east, filling the role of Chancellor often found in the Wilvenland human kingdoms. However, it is also tied to the history of the Balthalites, or the people of Old Balian. The first recorded Amiratus in history was Edgar of Jrent, a priest who served as chief minister to the mythic hero Balthier, founder of Old Balian. Their legend can be found in the Second Tablet of the Lothar Stones.

The office of Amiratus is the most prestigious and influential political position in the Kingdom of Balian. They are responsible for the maintenance and governance of the realm, wielding penultimate authority and tasked with the preservation of the Balianese Crown, including in matters of succession. Colloquially, the Amiratus can be addressed as Chief Minister of Balian, and he or she also maintains the honorary title Seneschal of the Crown.

The current Amiratus is Ledicort Vuiller, who presides over the 1st Vuiller Duana.

THE FIRST VUILLER DUANA

G0i99XlNNUitPVsemxWwvr3QRmyCmwkSDOBYZwWJPQuNMJ6BsQ9tWU4EcjuuQhfgCWJvNmxE-lk7kej6WYevT5zyMaO6BaumJPq9yD0Watnvr4p6FfRiUHK07nkIT7gTBehteM4LErQBZVKwCO6bn9z26-sloSSEFlC-_d_uV42UI1dp-TB4pNiL8Ucjig

—-Ledicort Vuiller in Petrine Dress—-

"Ledicort has not only filled the shoes of his father Rev Vuiller, but has gone beyond to forge a legacy of diplomacy and undying service to the people of Balian." - John the Founder on the appointment of Ledicort as Seneschal.

Since the founding of Balian, one of the few constants of the chambers was the presence of Ledicort Vuiller. Originally holding the title of Magister and overseeing the creation and maintenance of the judicial system of Balian, he later ascended to the title of Seneschal of the Royal Chamber after his father, Sir Rev. Vuiller.

It is the hope of this Duana to achieve a Kingdom of Balian of which prospers both economically and politically for the benefit of all. Due to his own work, the efforts of his father, and the efforts of King John I, Ledicort places great value on the education of the Balianese people to ensure that the scholarly nature of the old Empire is preserved. With the efforts of the nation, government and crown together, Balian will become a hub for culture, trade and academic brilliance.

OFFICES OF THE DUANA

SECRETARY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS

The Secretary of Foreign Affairs is responsible for the world view of Balian as well as the pacts and treaties that the nation holds. It is their job to foster goodwill and relations with any other nation or settlement. They accomplish this namely by appointing ambassadors, organizing events, and attending diplomatic meetings. They maintain the title of ‘Legate of the Crown’ in their styling from the old chamber.

The current Secretary of Foreign Affairs is Princess Persephone Vilac

“Working from a youthful age within the previous legate’s office, I picked up on many skills within the art of diplomacy. The goal I have set forth since the start of my time as Legate is to foster long withstanding goodwill with other nations. Many such nations in the beginning associated Balian with Oren. 

Whilst our pasts may intertwine heavily with that of the empire, it would be a disservice to ourselves and our people if I did not do my utmost in showing these nations that we are not as Oren was. It is the job of the Legate to paint the image of our nation to present to the eyes of the world. I can only pray that my efforts have shown the eyes of the world our true nature, the nature of perseverance against all odds.” - Princess Persephone, on her experience as Legate of the Crown.

To those interested in aiding the Duana in matters of Foreign Affairs, reach out to Princess Persephone or the Legate’s Office.

-[WIP] The Legate’s Office: Department of Foreign Affairs

SECRETARY OF WAR

The Secretary of War, foremost among the officers, is responsible for the maintenance and command of the national army. They supervise all military personnel, auxiliaries, and mercenaries in the country. They also are tasked with protecting the lands from invasions, raids and rebellions in times of peace and war. They maintain the title of ‘Constable of the Crown’ in their styling from the old chamber.

The current Secretary of War is Viscount Peter d’Arkent

“My experience sums up to constantly defending the Crown of Balian. In my time I’ve been sent on missions all over Almaris to further the objectives of Balian, my most notable mission being involved in the assault on Vienne, in which alongside our former Comrades in Acre, we ended the reign of King Frederick of Oren. 

But now we’re in a time of peace. The Kingdom of Balian works to continue building itself up, and towards a proper military force if necessary. Our people have suffered many hardships. But through our perseverance, we will succeed.” - Peter d’Arkent, on his tenure as Constable of Balian.

To those interested in aiding the Duana in matters of its national army, reach out to Viscount Peter d’Arkent or the Company of Balian.

- Company of Balian

SECRETARY OF THE INTERIOR

The Secretary of Interior manages the various holdings of Balian. They are responsible for the Ecumene, or land survey of Balian, ensure that the land as a whole is held to royal architectural standards, and approve new constructions made by the private efforts of noble and commoners alike. They also control the immigration into Balian, and are expected to maintain an immigration office and organize events and programs to help recruit new subjects into the kingdom.

The current Secretary of the Interior is [Vacant]

To those interested in aiding the Duana in matters of land management, traffic, and immigration, reach out to the Amiratus to see if you have what it takes to be the Interior Minister, or part of their office.

- WIP: The Home Office

SECRETARY OF THE TREASURY

The Secretary of the Treasury is the chief financial minister, entrusted with all of Balian’s financial matters, procuring more money for the Kingdom and looking over any spending of the nation. They ensure any debts paid, taxes collected and that all ministries are funded accordingly, along with organizing civil servants known as clerks that help them in these endeavors. They maintain the title of ‘Procurator of the Crown’ in their styling from the old chamber.

The current Secretary of the Treasury is Countess Johanne Vuiller

“Johanne Vuiller had become Balian’s treasurer at a young age, a shining example of the youth of Balian who wished to contribute towards the prosperity of their home. Keeping to that theme, with a firm belief that everyone earns their keep, she has set a new age of mentorship with the heavy inclusion of wardships. Economical and financial skills take the forefront of this state education, along with a vision of a fluid and ever-changing economy for Balian.”

“Through the experiences over the years, through interior projects or exports, the one thing that held true above all is that vision of a diverse market within the desert nation with the expansion of ever-changing goods to keep with the demands of the people.” - The Procurator’s Office, on the character of its captain, Countess Johanne.

To those interested in aiding the Duana in matters of its trade and finances, reach out to Countess Johanne or the Procurator’s Office.

- WIP: The Procurator’s Office

SECRETARY OF CIVIL AFFAIRS

The Secretary of Civil Affairs is tasked with the matters of government documentation. They take minutes of important meetings, organize the government press and the Royal Balianese Academy, push initiatives on government literacy and transparency, and maintain the census in order to administer effective elections. Their goal is chiefly in documenting and relying the efforts of the government outward, and ensuring that the Balianese are regarded as a literate and educated people. They maintain the title of ‘Censor of the Crown’ in their styling from the old chamber.

The current Secretary of Civil Affairs is [Vacant]

To those interested in aiding the Duana in matters of improving national literacy and census-keeping, reach out to the Amiratus to see if you have what it takes to be Censor, or part of their office.

- WIP: The Censor’s Office: Department of Civil Affairs

MAGISTRATE-GENERAL

The Magistrate-General is the head of the Balian Judicial system, organizing the prosecutors of the crown and certifying lawyers the ability to practice legal matters in the Kingdom’s realms. They also advise the crown in appointing judges within the kingdom. They administer and help oversee any cases that may come up.

The current Magistrate-General is Cesar Komnenos.

“I’m here for the creation and suggestion of laws to ensure the best safety of Balian and her people, and act as an officer of the law should the need for trial arise and of course, work as legal advisor to the crown.” - Cesar Komnenos, on his role as Magistrate-General.

To those interested in aiding the Duana in matters of its finances, reach out to Cesar Komnenos or the Magistrates.

- WIP: The Magistrates

PRINCIPAL SECRETARY

The Principal Secretary is tasked with collecting intelligence and making internal reports within the Duana on potential improvements that may be made within the Kingdom of Balian. 

Regarded often as the left-hand of the Duana, they follow up on particular departments for the Amiratus to ensure that the administrative offices are hard at work and initiatives are being adjusted and met. They also drive innovation within the kingdom by brainstorming new and novel ideas across departments, and hold the responsibility of declassifying government documents for public consumption.

The current Principal Secretary is Sarson Halgrim.

“I’ve spent decades in the east hunting plots, treasures, and beasts for a living. Besides the wretched paperwork, this isn’t so different yet. Anyone who’s got the guts to make a nation out of this little finger of God in the wretched desert - join me, and learn what it takes to be the sort of professional the world needs.” - Sarson Halgrim, on his new station in the Duana.

To those interested in learning about the organization of the Duana, or the various plots and initiatives the Duana is to pursue as a whole, reach out to Sarson Halgrim or the Office of the Principal Secretary.

- WIP: The Office of the Principal Secretary

AGENT-GENERAL OF THE CLERGY 

The Agent-General of the Clergy is tasked with promoting religious and cultural institutions within the realm. They help ensure that the Kingdom of Balian acts with the interest of the state faith of Canonism, as well as maintaining relationships with the High Pontiff’s Curia. They also help build relations with religious minorities and religious communities within the realm, ensuring their rights are protected.

The current Agent-General of the Clergy is Teodosio Cardinal Tyria.

“While having no formal government experience, I have experience within the church and hold positions of Cardinal Tyria, Bishop Tyria and Interim Auditor of the Tribunal. My goal is to make a more robust church within Balian that is not confined to the existing Highlander and Heartlander traditions, and is instead able to make its own traditions that better reflect the piety of our people” - Cardinal Tyria, on his appointment to the Royal Duana.

To those interested in supporting faith and culture in Balian, reach out to Cardinal Tyria or his agents of the clergy.

- WIP: Royal Agents of the Clergy

HIS ROYAL MAJESTY, Alexander I, by the Grace of GOD, King of Balian, Count of Monteres, Viscount of Eflen and Anatis, Baron of Brucca and Valens, Lord of Atrus and Monterosa, Protector of the Heartlanders and the South, etcetera.

HIS ROYAL EXCELLENCY, Ledicort Vuiller, Amiratus of the Kingdom of Balian, Lord Seneschal of the Crown and Chief Minister of the Royal Duana.

The Countess of Aquilae, and Procurator of Balian, Johanne Vuiller is glad the administrative offices are finally posted after having spent quite some time on this.

"I like it, however, I would have established a hierarchical superiority of the Principal Secretary over the other ministers and established that he is the Amiratus' understudy and right hand in the discharge of his functions, in a similar way as the Vice-Chancellor was the Archchancellor's right hand in the Petrine Empire." said the intellectual Lucien d'Azor in his modest house in the Commonwealth of the Petra after hearing of the new government reform in the Kingdom of Balian.