The Battle of New Brandthof | A Soldier's Perspective

Javert

The Battle of Neu Brandthof

By Louis Owyn Haverlock

The Urban Warfare that swept New Brandthof, circa 111 S.A.

f7si4pF0e1hMQNNdqrI1Z2vFYNQmdoFjd6lDsJtMYkIvARGtvMeftZ3e-VTICwrXv7j8GwGlZbcStNl06bcrlnpET0_4hv3rU4U-GSvYCcmhnAIvV5jVoAi6duLF4XgYbMdjVHJ9_zf_Y7KKIUgkHCtvVGxU4-wb1UgYJiiqSMDgFcSO5TkljhlwxsjAmg

It was a rather normal saint's day. I was returning home from a visit to New Vienne and had just walked through the gates of Minitz. I walked by the statue of Sir Brandt Barclay that stood proudly over the town center, then I heard shouting coming from the City's southern gates. I turned my head and suddenly there were what seemed to be 600 to 800 Ferrymen bearing their teal bandanas and masks, crossbows and bows primed. I turned and darted to the Tavern for cover, shouting out: "Ferrymen! Ferrymen in Minitz!"

The people of Minitz had already been dealing with a criminal inside the tavern, whos name I frankly do not recall. Upon hearing that the Ferrymen had arrived in the city, the inhabitants of the Tavern dispatched of the criminal and withdrew their own ranged weaponry. Among these men was my old friend, Ottomar von Alstreim. I pat him on the shoulder with a confident smile as I withdrew my bow, asking if he was ready. He was either too nervous or too focused to respond, as he didn't reply to my inquiry. Nonetheless, I heard the Ferrymen commander give the order to open fire on us within the Tavern.

f7si4pF0e1hMQNNdqrI1Z2vFYNQmdoFjd6lDsJtMYkIvARGtvMeftZ3e-VTICwrXv7j8GwGlZbcStNl06bcrlnpET0_4hv3rU4U-GSvYCcmhnAIvV5jVoAi6duLF4XgYbMdjVHJ9_zf_Y7KKIUgkHCtvVGxU4-wb1UgYJiiqSMDgFcSO5TkljhlwxsjAmg

Spoiler

Monk-E, who I think was a metal creation of sorts, was immediately caught in the crossfire. Three to four crossbow bolts struck the poor creature, leaving it disabled and knocking it out of the fight. Immediately I stepped out from cover, took aim at a Ferrymen who I believe was their leader, and loosened my arrow. By this point the Ferrymen had neglected to take cover, so I was able to get a shot on either his upper arm or shoulder. It was hard to tell as he immediately dived for cover afterwards alongside his comrades. 

What came next was nothing short of brutal, chaotic, and unforgettable Urban Warfare. Arrowfire was exchanged between the Ferrymen and the ordinary Citizens of Minitz - most of us taking cover in the Tavern. I believe Ottomar had been struck once or twice by this point and had to take cover. I got another few shots off, two of them aimed at a Ferrymen who I believe is named Livius (Based on the shouts of his comrades and himself). I remember after peaking out to get another shot, a crossbow bolt struck me in my left thigh and caused me to have to duck behind cover and lean against a wall. A bit later another arrow struck me in the ribs and I fell onto my back, thankfully being dragged away by one of Minitz's medics whom I have unfortunately forgotten the name of.

The Battle kept raging for at least two more Saint's Hours with several injuries sustained on both sides. I believe at one point both sides began to run low on projectiles, so some of our comrades rushed out to meet the Ferrymen in a melee. I grabbed my sword in my left hand (My right arm had been shot by an arrow) and joined in this melee, fighting as hard as I could in my wounded state in the streets of Minitz. Yet, while we had the advantage of ranged combat, the Ferrymen were phenomenal fighters in melee combat. Watching them cut down my comrades, although morbid, was as if I was watching an artist paint using only the color red. Nonetheless, once the melee began we were severely outskilled. I was forced to make a run for it out of the Minitz gates with a few other comrades, all of whom were progressively shot down or cut down as we attempted our escape. By the time we made it to the fields, it was me and one other. We made a run down to the Vienne bridge but were then separated, I believe the comrade having lost his life to the pursing Ferrymen. I do not know, I did not look back to see. I turned and fired a few arrows at my pursuers to attempt to buy me time to run, but it was for naught. After jumping into the water and swimming a considerable distance to escape, two Ferrymen still managed to pursue me and attacked me near the eastern banks of the Vienne coastline. I fought for a few more seconds, but my wounds overcame me and I was easily subdued by the skill of the two ferrymen. 

I expected them to kill or capture me, but for some reason they spared my life. I remember them saying "You have fought with Valor. Run." I wasn't one to think twice, so I did just that. I ran into the forests near Vienne, where I eventually stopped to start a small fire to cauterize my wounds. After I'd made sure my wounds wouldn't be infected, I made the long trek back to Minitz. I count myself extremely lucky to have survived the Battle of Neu Brandthof.

Spoiler

OOC: This is an IRP writing about an encounter between the Ferrymen and Minitz, which my Persona took part in. I want to thank the Ferrymen for being good sports and giving us a killer CRP battle, even if at the end it turned to PVP because of the numbers. Let it be known that CRP urban warfare is actually pretty fun.

Spoiler

Very based fight, I think everyone rlly enjoyed it for the most part. Should do more.

The Scallywag Petyr smoked a cigar, “Those who fight with valor have nothing to fear. Those who oppose us with indignity and seek to one-up us have everything to fear. Fighting is all in good fun!”