Cool idea I thought of: A.I generated minecraft skins

megavoltar

I am not good at making skins, neither is the majority ~300 people that log in a months time, new or not.   Majority of new players, they get their skins from either groups they join, characters that people ask them to play, or from the new player commissions.  After that, they are on their own if they want a new thing of clothes, either farming mina or getting rid of 20 or 30 buckeroos for a suit of armor or a pretty dress.   

https://aymen-furter.medium.com/teaching-creativity-building-an-ai-that-can-new-draw-minecraft-skins-f738e2aee0a2

Some articles I looked at had the same idea in mind, but not very many.   I had the cool idea, that one day, we could have an A.I that is capable of getting a batch of specific minecraft skins like 'Orc head' or 'Plate armor', even more complicated things like 'Kimono with xyz pattern' or 'Frilly white and blue dress'.   The problem I see with most of these articles is that the range is too wide, so narrowing down the approach that the A.I. takes, since Minecraft pixels are harder to discern then a blank canvas.

Over all, it sounds like a good idea, could make skins a whole lot more accessible and easy to use.

this is gonna be epic

Assuming it doesn't generate horror shows, it'd be neat. Sure.

it's over skinner bros

My only concern of this is the AI ripping off current skinners already existing on the server, by stealing their styles or "building off of" their work.  Similar issues already exist with artists and AI with their styles and assets of their artwork being stolen from without their permission and mashed into something else.

4 hours ago, UnBaed said:

My only concern of this is the AI ripping off current skinners already existing on the server, by stealing their styles or "building off of" their work.  Similar issues already exist with artists and AI with their styles and assets of their artwork being stolen from without their permission and mashed into something else.

not how ai art works btw

On 1/19/2023 at 8:14 PM, UnBaed said:

styles arent copyrightable, all your skins are owned by mojang under a license anyway, ai art generators do not "steal" art of artists they were just trained on it -- they dont "build off" your work or "mash it up" theres no way any element from your original art is going to end up in a ai generated artwork unless someone specificaly instructs it to create something that is similar to your work (in which case, it just followed instructions, not 'copied your art'

also the problem with this is largely the training of the ai, because someone would have to go in and classify each skin with text descriptors and to get a ai that produces desirable skins it would take 10,000+ training datas atleast and thats a small estimatation. you could obviously do a ai based image 2 text of minecraft skins from renderings but how well thatd track would be questionable at best

3 hours ago, Priceflash said:

styles arent copyrightable, all your skins are owned by mojang under a license anyway, ai art generators do not "steal" art of artists they were just trained on it -- they dont "build off" your work or "mash it up" theres no way any element from your original art is going to end up in a ai generated artwork unless someone specificaly instructs it to create something that is similar to your work (in which case, it just followed instructions, not 'copied your art'

also the problem with this is largely the training of the ai, because someone would have to go in and classify each skin with text descriptors and to get a ai that produces desirable skins it would take 10,000+ training datas atleast and thats a small estimatation. you could obviously do a ai based image 2 text of minecraft skins from renderings but how well thatd track would be questionable at best

Priceflash is right, most of the time, you do not own the rights to your images as you are using someone else propriety or have accepted terms of service while using something.

AI is so misunderstood by a lot of people, what you see these days is not even AI as most people think about it. I would rather call it pattern recognition but that's not really fancy for the news, it reads data, recognize what the item should be. The text AI and image stuff seems really impressive but if you ask a text ai to give you a text about what happened in 1955, it's gonna give you a formulation of the same text 10 times if you want it to.

AI in it's current form is not even dangerous lol, it's never gonna go around and start feeding itself data from the lord of the craft forums but that would be funny AF if that stuff started happening tho. The parameters are well human defined and very restrictive.

Lots of people attracted to AI think they know about it and never open tensorflow or any technologies in AI. The news make it seems like we're gonna get controlled. Fairly understandable that most people think it's gonna ruin our lives.