[✗] [Misc Magic] Chi Rewrite

Spindle

I cant wait to eat chicken biryani with my homies doing Chi! (i am not racist, go away snowflakes! But other than that, amazing job on the lore. I love it alot)

7 hours ago, Spindle said:

Ardha Chandrasana [C]

Will the arm stay stretched or snap back? If they can't change direction mid cast can they deflect it off walls? 
I also think range is way too much, for reference 8 blocks is the same as full on movement sprint + no casting allowed. It should be shortened to 6 or 7 blocks max, given the fact that its movement can be nerfed.

Temper

should be at least 2 emotes, 1 charge + 1 cast. otherwise you'll just have people doing passive senator armstrong rp where nothing hurts them lol

Balsana
Should be force to a linear path or stick to one path, 8 block + all around in a dome is an insane amount of range even with 4 emote casting since not every part of a human body can be armored properly. 

Overwhelm

overwhelm is just insanely op, especially if you're fighting a mage - a lot of ppl also dont take into account that not a lot of ppl fight one on one. even initially people will join in and emote * leans on sword "oi oi what's goin' on here??!?!" and join in before crp lock.
personally id just cut it out but if you want to keep it id recommend having it be a state with a duration. so basically once a day you can focus ur chakras or w/e and then for a 5 emote duration u have the ability to poke them out. 

Bellows

strength of an orc’s punch.

wouldn't really label it 'orc punch strength', its a bit tiring since it looks like literally everything here is orc strength or olog strength, very repetitive
just have it be a strong wind blast 
you also breathe out of your nose so having the option to have it come out of your nostrils would be funny too lol

Dhanarasuna
Does this take place for the rest of the encounter? the point at which the voidal poisoning effect leaves should be specified if i didnt miss it 

Anja
can this be maintained indefinitely outside of combat? if so does there always have to be a tell? 
bright lights + head blows or blows to the eye should be the weakness, there's no point in a tell if it cant be used against you 

A Chi Art MA is a 2 slot magic. 

should be way more imo, at least 4 or 5
this is just gonna become a magic stack accessory rather than an aesthetic which is just really gross to me to think about lol
like you're gonna see this stacked with things like kani

overall i think it can be fixed but it just needs to be severely powered down, group fights and movement emotes of other people need to be taken into account, and loopholes/vagueness need to be wiped away
vagueness as in:
can certain techniques be dualcasted? what isnt compatible with what?
can things like bellows be stored? so like you do the initial charge emotes, and can keep the air in your lungs and hold your breath and just cast whenever you want?

Tadasana

Okay so i like Eight Gates naruto rp as much as the next guy but this is just insanely op considering all of the points i made prior. 8 blocks run normally, and 16 blocks sprint, + 1 emote off charge on ALL abilities. its basically a free pass to kill someone's character

cost should be that you cant make another Chi MA indefinitely on other characters, or at least for 6 months. 

1 hour ago, Xx_BloodStalk_xX said:

Will the arm stay stretched or snap back? If they can't change direction mid cast can they deflect it off walls? 
I also think range is way too much, for reference 8 blocks is the same as full on movement sprint + no casting allowed. It should be shortened to 6 or 7 blocks max, given the fact that its movement can be nerfed.

Temper

should be at least 2 emotes, 1 charge + 1 cast. otherwise you'll just have people doing passive senator armstrong rp where nothing hurts them lol

Balsana
Should be force to a linear path or stick to one path, 8 block + all around in a dome is an insane amount of range even with 4 emote casting since not every part of a human body can be armored properly. 

Overwhelm

overwhelm is just insanely op, especially if you're fighting a mage - a lot of ppl also dont take into account that not a lot of ppl fight one on one. even initially people will join in and emote * leans on sword "oi oi what's goin' on here??!?!" and join in before crp lock.
personally id just cut it out but if you want to keep it id recommend having it be a state with a duration. so basically once a day you can focus ur chakras or w/e and then for a 5 emote duration u have the ability to poke them out. 

Bellows

wouldn't really label it 'orc punch strength', its a bit tiring since it looks like literally everything here is orc strength or olog strength, very repetitive
just have it be a strong wind blast 
you also breathe out of your nose so having the option to have it come out of your nostrils would be funny too lol

Dhanarasuna
Does this take place for the rest of the encounter? the point at which the voidal poisoning effect leaves should be specified if i didnt miss it 

Anja
can this be maintained indefinitely outside of combat? if so does there always have to be a tell? 
bright lights + head blows or blows to the eye should be the weakness, there's no point in a tell if it cant be used against you 

should be way more imo, at least 4 or 5
this is just gonna become a magic stack accessory rather than an aesthetic which is just really gross to me to think about lol
like you're gonna see this stacked with things like kani

overall i think it can be fixed but it just needs to be severely powered down, group fights and movement emotes of other people need to be taken into account, and loopholes/vagueness need to be wiped away
vagueness as in:
can certain techniques be dualcasted? what isnt compatible with what?
can things like bellows be stored? so like you do the initial charge emotes, and can keep the air in your lungs and hold your breath and just cast whenever you want?

Tadasana

Okay so i like Eight Gates naruto rp as much as the next guy but this is just insanely op considering all of the points i made prior. 8 blocks run normally, and 16 blocks sprint, + 1 emote off charge on ALL abilities. its basically a free pass to kill someone's character

cost should be that you cant make another Chi MA indefinitely on other characters, or at least for 6 months. 

This is great feedback! I'll add in what I can

6 hours ago, NightcastorKitty said:

Would previous chi users have an option to be grandfathered in or is this considered a new separate thing? 

I've not yet considered this. I'm up for suggestions.

spindle.. lore.. plus one!!
v interesting lore v cool :)

3 hours ago, exoo said:

I cant wait to eat chicken biryani with my homies doing Chi! (i am not racist, go away snowflakes! But other than that, amazing job on the lore. I love it alot)

<3

Omfg can we please get grandfathered in?  Please let this happen. I miss chi souch. I miss the cool RP we did. ;-; I swear I will be active.

8 hours ago, Spindle said:

A thing of names can be changed, however this does tie in to the original chi lore and is not some unrelated entity. 

Perhaps the old Chi lore fell into disuse due to this exact reason of a tied-in and set-in-stone culture with the Oyashiman (being juggled between a certain few and characters related to).

Maybe this rewrite will spread easier as it is open to its own cultural development while also having a theme to follow. @Islamadon

It was more so tied into hou-zi and then Li-ren culture :nerd emoji: (in practice it was elf players with chi by the end and it didn't seem like any of the TAs could get through their students for whatever reason)

3 hours ago, Spindle said:

This is great feedback! I'll add in what I can

10 hours ago, NightcastorKitty said:

np i actually loved the chakra stuff, just be sure that its rp'd properly since i think some of it relies on good faith 

Looks great, I agree with prior feedback that this is HEAVY on the combat applications... Compare it to shamanism or voidal magic and you can see that the original ideas for this post just hit a lot harder and a lot faster...

Also, with the whole orc strength comparison what happens if an orc/similarly powered character has chi? Does the impact force not change? Are they even stronger?

34 minutes ago, Mannamannaa said:

Looks great, I agree with prior feedback that this is HEAVY on the combat applications... Compare it to shamanism or voidal magic and you can see that the original ideas for this post just hit a lot harder and a lot faster...

Also, with the whole orc strength comparison what happens if an orc/similarly powered character has chi? Does the impact force not change? Are they even stronger?

Another good thing to add, thank you!

This isn't really a comment on the lore itself, just that I think it'd be more interesting to create your own system for your chakra rather than copy-pasting IRL esotericism into the lore. I'd be much more intrigued if the chakra were say, placed in the hands, the feet and the heart, and each had different meanings from the IRL system. It's not really a critique, just a thought.

There's a lot of lore on LOTC you could pull from to justify your own, unique system.

Maybe it's believed that this point is "where lifeforce pours into and out of your body", and this one "is where your soul is anchored to your body", and this one is "where a connection is made through to other realms" (and maybe there's a connection to leaving the body whilst dreaming there).

3 hours ago, Aelesh said:

This isn't really a comment on the lore itself, just that I think it'd be more interesting to create your own system for your chakra rather than copy-pasting IRL esotericism into the lore. I'd be much more intrigued if the chakra were say, placed in the hands, the feet and the heart, and each had different meanings from the IRL system. It's not really a critique, just a thought.

There's a lot of lore on LOTC you could pull from to justify your own, unique system.

Maybe it's believed that this point is "where lifeforce pours into and out of your body", and this one "is where your soul is anchored to your body", and this one is "where a connection is made through to other realms" (and maybe there's a connection to leaving the body whilst dreaming there).

I understand, but I've tried to keep this piece as simple as possible. I found with my other projects they came too bloated. 

21 hours ago, Xx_BloodStalk_xX said:

i was gonna make a similar concern

this is gonna be a bit subjecctive but a lot of these spells feel just very bland if not boring. ork strength. ork punch. olog strength. olog punch. magic spells usable in combat should serve to make CRP interesting to engage with, and many of the spells here don't really accomplish that. they all feel the same and not that distinct from one another

bardmancy and demi djinn are both good examples imo of lore with interesting crp mechanics that don't serve to just almost instantly break your opponents ribs or jaw with one orc strength punch

also agree on the tadasanda thing with what cal said. could definitely use some balancing and clarification. is it a PK of the character? if not, could the character re-learn chi? there's also just a lot of implications with olog strength. the biggest redline with ologs is that they're mentally inept (even if most olog players dont RP it to truth), which this spell wholly negates so then you just become an essentially unbeatable tank for 10 rounds, and thats not even mentioning the increased speed and -1 emote count

high cost =/= balanced spell. it shouldn't be unwinnable, and 10 rounds of emotes is an extremely long time in a CRP encounter on top of every other implication of this spell