Whats up CT?

Jihnyny

2 minutes ago, Xarkly said:

literally what

Isnt this one of the main points of.CT

If they don't ask for help how are we meant to know? Sometimes people want to work things out for themselves, or they'll want their friends to help them. Each person wants a different experience. We can lead the horse to water but we can't make it drink. 

8 minutes ago, AnimeWolf0080 said:

If they don't ask for help how are we meant to know? Sometimes people want to work things out for themselves, or they'll want their friends to help them. Each person wants a different experience. We can lead the horse to water but we can't make it drink. 

Surely when a player joins for the first time it's suitable for a CT to try offer guidance? Putting the onus on the player to reach out seems really silly - a lot of these players struggle to figure out which channel to talk in, nevermind take it upon themselves to figure out that they can ask for help, much less how.

36 minutes ago, Xarkly said:

Surely when a player joins for the first time it's suitable for a CT to try offer guidance? Putting the onus on the player to reach out seems really silly - a lot of these players struggle to figure out which channel to talk in, nevermind take it upon themselves to figure out that they can ask for help, much less how.

When I was on CT, there were quite a few of us who did reach out, myself, hope, mady07, laeo, etc. However, we could not give them help unless they asked for it nor could we show them the ropes ICly without them making a c-req (so we can get on our monks) or people looking down on us for trying to assumedly snipe players. Also, I will just say it is hard to rp on a monk properly in order to help new players as there is no character growth - ever, so everything is pretty much one note. 

Cuddling new players never works really. It takes hours with no result. CT has improved greatly lately.

When I joined on Arcas just having a CT fella waddle along with me and my friend from CT along the road that went past Helena, Haense, the lot was great. Didn't ask for it. Just happened. We sat and he explained the mechanics, how chat worked, and answered any questions. Waddled along and then we got into some spontaneous RP and he stuck around for a minute or 2 then dipped when we were sat immersed in the RP. will always be grateful to that CT member.

application to lotc used to be a lot harder and it didnt filter out poor roleplayers, someone else just ended up writing their application or they got in after 10 tries. 

we need new players to have easy access so the community doesnt die

23 hours ago, Xarkly said:

When new players join we give them the following information, What they do with it is up to them.
Discord account, Lotc discord link & what chats to use, Minecraft account (I give my alt for the rare days I’m on that), How to contact us in game, how to make a ticket, at least four links. (Two player guides, a settlement guide, lastly a nations & major settlements guide) ect. I get it, reaching out to staff can be intimidating, but if we don’t know. How are we meant to help, how are we meant to guide & hold their hands. Walk them along the dirt/cobblestone paths if we aren’t asked for help. Even when I’ve reached out to help 8 out of 10 times I’ll never hear back from the players. After reaching out via the forums & discord. On the server if I see a new player and reach out. 9 times out of 10 I will hear back. We can reach out our hands, we can try to help. However, we can’t do anything if our hands aren’t taken. The best we can do at that point is watch if we see what’s going on, try to reach out to other people to help them. Even then sometimes that won’t work. 

When I see new players, esp ones who struggle to type, I do the following: 

1. Hang out with them, and make them feel accepted.

2. Bring them to the tavern or some other activity. Ask em what their story is, get them into the mindset of who they're playing as.

3. Give them a job. Use this to gently guide them and help them improve their capabilities as a roleplayer and community member. If they make mistakes like messing up the chat system, discreetly message them and tell them how to avoid it. "Yeah I know the chat systems a little wonky. Here's what I did to overcome it when I first joined-"

4. Invite them to friend discords, include them in things, make them more than a player, but a friend that feels wanted. 

Both parties win. They get to roleplay, I make a friend. Make this the standard everywhere and good things will come from it. It's a philosophy I got from @Xx_BloodStalk_xX and @GMRO, and I will keep doing it until the day I die because at the end of the day they aren't just 'new players', they're friends you haven't made yet!

I did CT briefly and all I remember is that we could RP on monks to help people, so I'd walk new players to cities and introduce them to people we met there.

Was cool. Nice skin too.