A Knight's Penance [PK]

grnappa

Sir Paul Montalt added an homage to one of his ledgers.

Dame Livia the Stubborn 

Sir Brandt the Unyielding

Civil war, it was a tragic thing. Paul had fought three of them in his long life. Now, the sister of his long dead friend Emilio at last joined her brother in the rich Petran soil, as did Sir Brandt - both loyal to their Archduke, and rebellious by nature. For that, Paul offered them his respect, but contemplated how many others would have to die before the enemy would sue for peace.

Paul said to his daughter, "Never take solace in war." He said from the ramparts, "Loyalty to The Penny Duke has cost too many already. Live a quiet life, a happy one. When I am gone, do not mourn my loss, for men such as me have shaped this ghastly world you children will inherit. I am sorry, my dear." 

"A noble and chivalric man, I am sure he fought bravely to his last." Yvian would speak frankly, frowning as he heard the news, signing the lorraine over his cuirass.

The Knighthood of Petra was highly regarded amongst the realms of Man, and in their annals of history, Sir Brandt Berhal will be known. An honorable advisor and confidant of Constanz, the men had been close since the day they met in Petra. The war had taken a toll on Constanz, but the news of the death of his friend stung the man to his core, filling him with rage. Looking towards the flaming vessel carrying his comrade's body along the River Petra, Constanz made a vow to his friend. He would see his home returned.

That child, the Montalt, she listened on to the words her father spoke, although the young thing could not quite comprehend them fully. Her legs bounced back and forth against the stone tower she sat atop of; thinking not of what she'd seen yet, but what she's yet to see.

Casimir Marius Vilac read over the missive again and again, pausing whenever he reached the mention of the Vilac brothers "I don't remember dying." he shook his head in disbelief "I was in Balian with my brother. I swear it" He unsheathed his longsword, running his hand along the dragon engraved into the blade. "This knight will be avenged and all those who have brought pain onto Petra will have their heads removed and placed on spikes" 

“A shame to see one fall so far.” Renilde sighed, putting away the memoir she didn't care to read of another Pretender-Petran. 

Spoiler

Sir 'Wings' von Draco finds himself standing alone beside the River Petra, his fists clenched in anger after hearing the news of Sir Brandt Berhal's untimely departure. The Ashford sun sets behind him, casting a warm orange glow over the flowing water. He throws his sword to the ground, its blade embedding into the soft earth. He rips off his gauntlets, throwing them into the river. He pounds his chest akin to an ape, as if trying to rid himself of the pain that's consuming him. The River Petra flows on, calm and unruffled by Wings' outburst. But the warrior's heart is a tempest, a storm of grief, anger and frustration. He sinks to his knees, tears streaming down his face as he sobs uncontrollably. "Blood for Brandt.. Blood for Arthur.." he uttered. 'Wings' then slowly regains his composure at the mention of his fallen brothers, wiping the tears from his face as he stands up. He takes a deep breath and looks out over the river, his eyes hardening instantaneously. He picks up his sword and replaces it in its sheath, the metallic sound ringing out in the silence. He takes another deep breath, and with a new resolve, he starts to make his way back to Vafleur. He knows that there is a greater purpose that needs to be served, and the Ferrymen are knocking at their gates..

Edited by MikhaiI

31 minutes ago, tilly said:

“A shame to see one fall so far.” Renilde sighed, putting away the memoir of another Pretender-Petran. 

Spoiler

pyI_QYBrP824qTMD3s4EengKzM-K1R8rDtrTxIU_fCoIKXEjWHnIDmdRY3Y1KooQVeIiOJRsrkCm8x6VBLditXP8GnZ1VPOVIHB3rsq02IFs8fyWNeJfr_MOGx9LhyXP_zWzyWRRd5GLuPbURTsNotHonVJmC9EurQC4ltYs1Y-rR6nWJG_MpNZwlVaghw

T3wbXc87d2r_dV8p4By32jtmGxK4CylrIJry-dhb-zWKzVSR3ST5149sGzCYdJYiBGLxqPA4GOGXFFV3OxW_7DFY3KA8nrArbz2pjAaYiKO7QWoUbT9j9hHDNTPv4lBPTT3IP1PptiO045-0wn5yvPFPpHomVV5EEkucuDgcwsu10mjxOBuKRuwP-t1j8g

Sir Brandt Berhal watched from the seven skies as he sighed, shaking his head. "I pray that Godan will forgive her transgressions. He looks after his own no matter the scope of sin. I just hope she might confess before that final day comes... Though I am happy she finally got around to reading my memoir!"

Nehtamo recalls the conflicts in Acre as he reads the memoir. The name was familiar- though he couldn't quite place it. Eventually, towards the end, he recalled. This was the knight, Ser Brandt...Ser Berhal, who had helped save Odille after the demon's attempted massacre. Memories of her burned, malflame cursed skull, came creeping back into the corners of his mind. "Godan be good to him in the Seven Skies, aenguls know he deserves such." He'd whisper, setting the missive away with a heavy heart.

Ser Sebastien of the Order of the Crow watched on. It was over as quickly as it had began. He stood over the water basin, cleaning the dried blood off of his armor. Gwendel, his friend for many years, now sat upon the opposite side. He prayed they should not meet upon the field of battle.

"An honorable man dying for an ignoble cause." The words of Sir Paul echoed so loudly in Livia's ear as she watched Brandt meet his end. "But who decided ours was so ignoble?" This attempt made to teach her, had in fact worked but not in the way the elder Knight had wished. She was certain now that she would follow her friend into that end, for we Petrans stand as one.

The news of yet another Petran's falling tugged at the heartstrings of Aviana. While she had not known Ser Brandt well, she anticipated his death would significantly weigh down her husband's spirits. Thus, she ensured his favorite dinner was prepared that night.

She was a good and faithful wife, unlike some

Vey Louk sent the poor soul off on the boat he burned the man on, the boat burning bright as he realized the man wouldn't be a wandering soul no longer, Vey Louk stared with their mask before removing it to reveal their grimace; The upset looking churning and edging across their face like molten metal. The individual stated in such a sad tone; 

"May their soul and legacy be known across Petra, they fought well as a Noble."

"So the King not only murders diplomats in rage, he pledges our soldiers to the harlot's cause. What good would if be if Renilde won when she will have no citizens left to rule over. I am curious why the King would send our soldiers in to battle for a Prince's mistress, perhaps the brothers share her, who knows." remarked Arold from his apartments.