[✗] 🧙[Transfiguration Addition] Arcane Sculpting

z3m0s

Spoiler

rheuvV8gXuSDNSMJfsUk8VdKAFTdQ4e0JWhBkJCtelxqTFdhnzRhFKrAXXdbGVBQAm6qkyPrEEiI890yaqHuI-J9SxOZkrxKmn6eDiRNNOUJoqRDcCoix7AzrqnfvDzbI8V6KZnG1CRKpXvyrS2tc6NqjO58jg8b9TjbnJM5G_c79Tr1YTFRdk36KNd0eA

Arcane Sculpting

Whereas the magi of yore once conjured domes to defend cities, and harnessed pure beams of arcane energy to smite their foes, such potent arts have been lost to the annals of time, whisked away from the world at the fickle whim of the void. Nonetheless, attempts to recover such an art has been the aspiration of many magi since then, seeking once more to harness the esoteric force known as Arcanism to fuel their profound machinations. Such was the work of a small congregation of magi in the realm of Almaris, who in their desire to reattain the great works of Rivel, brought forth an art similar to that which had been lost. This, Arcane Sculpting, was the sculpting of mana to form objects of pure evoked energy, allowing mages to employ the art of "Arcanism" in their artificery’s.

Explanation

Arcane Sculpting is the process of altering and sculpting liquid mana to create a solid in which can be used to shape into a variety of things. This process enables the magi to form all manner of art, furniture, and even tools and weaponry by means of artificery.

• Arcane Sculpting requires a valid Transfiguration MA.

• Arcane Sculpting can be self-taught upon reaching T5 in Transfiguration.

While sometimes contending with the likes of the more strenuous abilities to learn within Transfiguration, it doesn’t overreach similar study times to firmly grasp the ability to Sculpt the Arcane. One needs only a firm grasp upon the many concepts of transfiguration before first learning it, enabling one to teach themselves at T5 Transfiguration over the span of at least one IRL week, though likely over the course of multiple lessons. The process can at first be exhausting, though it may become more familiar over time, the ceilings of creation limitless.

Altering and Sculpting Liquid Mana

The process of altering Liquid Mana is a rather simple but tedious one for that of an experienced Alterationist, able to be done alone, with the aid of a greater source of mana (Obelisk, Tear, etc), or within a group for a greater outcome. Concentration is essential for this process, for should one's attention falter, it would sour the mana, using too much of its resource without completing the transition leaving it almost entirely useless. Its basics consist of utilizing Liquid Mana, whether conjured by the user or procured at an earlier time to fortify its state from a liquid to a solid via the Alter Density spell. Once the solidifying process has begun it is now ready for it to be molded to take the form of the casters will. This process often results in the Arcane Sculpture taking the color of the caster or lead casters’ aura, some finding the sculpture even pulsed this color. As the mana is woven into a solid form, the mage may begin to shape it as they wish, binding it as either Soft or Hard Sculpted Mana as expanded upon below. 

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/08/ba/09/08ba09fda164dc5bfdc416d573763b4c.jpg

Soft Sculpting

Soft-Sculpted Mana is generally much more malleable and translucent, ideal for basic enchantments or shapes, such as a vase, a hovering light, a musical instrument, or other artistic and aesthetic objects. In most cases It has the general consistency and durability of regular glass, and thus, may be shattered with relative ease, making it less than ideal for combat weight bearing objects. Soft-sculpted mana can appear with fine detail, though any visible “sharp” points would not do much to cause damage even if it was deliberately used to do such, at most only scraping against the skin, resulting in breaking itself. Finally, the process of altering soft Mana can also be elongated to create a liquid form much like its original appearance, capable of being utilized similarly in artistic and aesthetic objects, manipulated to appear thicker or more translucent alike it’s more solid counterpart, though it’s fragility similarly affects it’s inability to be used in any way to cause harm, resulting in it dissipating similarly to were it not first bound upon forming.

Soft Sculpting Redlines

Spoiler
  • Soft-Sculpted Mana cannot be used combatively and is meant for minor aesthetic objects. It can be bound via enchantment requiring the creator’s signature/approval. This type of mana cannot be stronger than clay or glass, and will easily shatter, the liquid form being no stronger than a flowing tap, easily dissipating upon mild disruption.

• The liquid form of Soft-Sculpted Mana cannot be utilized for the same properties as Liquid Mana, as it has been stretched to the limits of its use, now effectively a useless aesthetic liquid.

• There is no maximum size for Soft-Sculpted Mana creations, though the maximum creation size of a singular voidal mage at one time is 4 meters cubed, extending by 2 meters per additional voidal mage assisting.

• Soft-Sculpted Mana can be created twice per IRL day.

• 1 unit of liquid man is required per cubic meter of Soft-Sculpted Mana.

RP Example

[1] Algrimmor’s eyes lit ablaze with blue voidal light as he began to channel forth his ability.

[2] The old dwarf waved a marred hand over the bottle of liquid mana, pulling it forth from its rest into action as he weaved and sculpted it into its destiny, the rough shape of a dagger forming before he then focused upon solidifying the Mana in place.

[3] With the shape now formed, the surface of the mana bubbled and rippled as it was solidified, soon hardening into what would appear to be a vaguely translucent glass dagger of blue hues, unsuitable for combat, though perhaps a fitting letter opener. 

XOKjfjM7iS527gt5gkOHabP1EJ9oPnl9Yoomc0XSKqAT32EB-d4a6tIEq5DykBxJ6sh7dZTurzvAPeyJFlWYXBJGk4_frk-DDPmi6uMqiXF5D1kA18gWal1cDH4qjVsrABuhZ6iyAqJEdsKws9LwPlRNWxAA4Jug75WJJVtX9ZRP0TBVgu8QXmUVKCWI3A

Hard Sculpting

Hard-Sculpted Mana requires much more effort to perform, and requires multiple mages in a ritual, depending on the size of the project. Mana in this form can be made to take on the texture and durability of steel, making it ideal for Tools and weaponry, along with larger structures. Being as durable as regular steel, hard-sculpted mana can be as heavy as steel too. It is oftentimes less translucent than soft-Sculpted mana, though does glow slightly brighter as well. However, to bind this type of mana to the material world would necessitate greater aids, such as mage-gold or Arcanium, to effectively hold it. These applications of sculpted mana will require ST approval in order to be valid, with objects like swords requiring signing, and larger structures requiring ST approval or potentially an accepted MArt application.

Unique Effect

The reasoning one might wish to fashion a Hard-Sculpted Mana piece over an Arcanium piece would be the additional utility available to the user through the added purity of a piece pure of mana over what is effectively an alloy in Arcanium. That utility being the added ability to enchant additional lesser enchantments onto the piece alongside the regular single enchantment one would be capable of putting on any item. While an Arcanium enchantment can contain a maximum of one T5 enchantment within itself, the Hard-Sculpted piece would allow for an additional two lesser enchantments, often used for greater utility to suit the creator's needs as opposed to requiring additional items to fill such needs.

Hard Sculpting Redlines

Spoiler
  • Hard-Sculpted Mana, though usable combatively if made beforehand, requires magegold or Arcanium binding, able to be bound to a suitably sized object comparative to the creation. (e.g A magegold handle for a Hard-Sculpted Mana tool, or an Arcanium tower for a cities dome shield. All of these items must be ST signed/approved. This type of mana cannot be stronger than steel on its own, and will require moderate to significant equivalent force to break. 1/4th of the comparative object must contain either magegold or Arcanium.

• The creation of structures requires one additional mage (two total) allowing for a maximum creation size of 3 meters cubed, extending by 2 meters per additional voidal mage assisting.
    Structures larger than 5 cubic meters require the acceptance of a MArt application.

• Hard-Sculpted Mana items can only be created once per IRL day, leaving those involved drained akin to Arcanium forging..

• Hard-Sculpted Mana can be utilized as both protruding from a solid base, such as a Mana-Sculpted sword from a solid hilt (provided magegold or Arcanium is present in the object) OR can encompass atop an existing item, such as forming a Hard-Sculpted Mana form around the head of a hammer, protecting the solid form beneath.

• hard-Sculpted Mana is able to hold 3 additional lesser enchantments in addition to the 1 regular enchantment, meaning a total of 4 enchantments are capable of being placed upon one item in total.

• 2 units of liquid mana are required per cubic meter of Hard-Sculpted Mana, though a minimum of two mages and a greater source of mana are required to sculpt and harden the mana.

• Follows all redlines of Transfigurations Enchantment beyond maximum enchantment number.

RP Example

[1] Balgrimmor took center stage at the altar, glancing amongst his peers as they prepared for the coming ritual, their eyes upon the item at the center of the altar, a large Arcanium hilt. As each member of the ritual honed their connection, they each began to funnel forth their energies for the main magi to utilize.

[2] Beginning to work away, the magi central to the ritual called forth a strong flow of liquid mana, twisting and weaving the excess at their disposal, molding it vaguely into the shape of a blade that originated at the Arcanium hilt.

[3] Fatigue began to set in amongst the group as the ritual further heightened, the ghostly blade solidifying slowly with great ripples and bursts of energy, its form hardening and solidifying both to the hilt and to reality itself.

[4] Winding down now as the remainder of the gathered energies solidified the blade, those present felt the great weight of their efforts pull at their muscles, a taxing but worthwhile process as they now gazed upon the Arcane Sculpted Blade.

General Redlines

Spoiler
  • Without enchantment, sculpted mana will fade away once connection is broken.

• Sculpting Mana cannot be performed in any combative scenario. It should be emoted as an exhausting process that demands a significant amount of the mage’s attention.

• Follows general Transfiguration redlines as far as magegold and Arcanium requirements for enchantments.

• Self-Teaching upon reaching T5 Transfiguration is intentionally kept vague and free-form, though takes similar beats from regularly altering the shape of an object for Soft-Sculpting, and similar beats from Arcanium Forging for Hard-Sculpting.

• Suitable sources of “Strong Voidal Power '' capable of being utilized alongside or in substitute of other mages are Mana Obelisks, Voidal Tears, Voidal Hearths, Voidstalkers. Mana Obelisks count for 1 additional mage, while Tears, Hearths and Voidstalkers count for 2 additional mages.

• Larger structures may be connected to power sources from long distances via mana leylines, focus crystals or the radius of a Voidal Tear.

• All forms of sculpted mana are weak to general forms of mana-dispersion, including thanhium, resonance, abjuration, Auric Oil and so on, which will cause them to break/disperse.

• Although likely triggering Afflicted, they could not utilize the liquid form of Soft-Sculpted Mana or any form of Sculpted Mana for that matter as Soft-Sculpted Mana would dissipate before consumption, and Hard-Sculpted Mana would not be desired as Liquid Mana given it’s cumbersome and altered form,

• Any structures made from Sculpted Mana are limited to their regular mechanical functions, including bridges, gates, and lift structures of any kind.

• Reasonability and discretion are required. Particularly large projects or structures, such as domes encompassing entire cities, etc. require MArt Approval.

• The aesthetic nature of Arcanium works seamlessly alongside Arcane Sculpting as long as neither obstructs or conflicts with one another.

Purpose and Citations

Spoiler

The purpose of this lore is fairly simple: to revive the niche of arcane structures and objects in the absence of Arcanism, without necessarily bringing back what was otherwise an overly versatile and over shadowing magic. It is my hope that through trial and error, this can be a building block for future arcane developments both in terms of lore and RP creations.

I’d like to say a big thank you to Sorcerio, as this is entirely based off of the foundations he had already laid with his previous attempt and is merely a recreation and rewording of his work in hopes of having some semblance of what once was available to us again. Been sitting on this since he last attempted which is probably a few years ago now, just thought screw it I guess. . . Do let me know if there are any inconsistencies anywhere that need to be addressed as I'm sure I've missed something.

Should also mention the addition of extra lesser enchantments on the Hard Sculpted pieces is intended to be a minor buff  of utility to give them purpose, while also not invalidating the use of Arcanium.

Sorcerio / z3m0s - Author

Lhindir - For the original concept and Consultation

Squak - For Consultation

Isaac - Consultation for Sorcerio’s lore

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/198457-✗-voidal-feat-arcane-sculpting/

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/146712-the-arcanists-blade-a-flavor-addition-to-arcanism-and-transfiguration/

Don't ask me wtf happened to the formatting cause I don't know, I'm no @Werew0lf

Questions

Do you think it is necessary or would enhance RP to add a rolling system similar to Arcanium to this method? Or do you think the requirement of Arcanium as a potential precursor is sufficient?

Off the back of the last question, should hard-sculpted items exclusively require Arcanium to have a rolling system included in the process alongside at least a day of exhaustion? Or do you think it should be left open for lesser magi to utilize magegold?

Right now despite having example emotes, there isn’t a required number of emotes listed anywhere, do you think there should be? Or in the spirit of free form RP, should it be kept intentionally vague?

Although only Lesser Enchantments and almost entirely non-combative in use, do you think two extra on hard sculpted items is too excessive?

Nice ideas but for the love of god dont make black letters in the redlines this is barely readable.

Feels a bit op for a sword to be able to contain 3 enchantments, only require one person to make, and not really require rolls either. Makes Arcanium pointless besides for containing a t5 spell, no?

1 hour ago, Laeonathan said:

Nice ideas but for the love of god dont make black letters in the redlines this is barely readable.

Ah, I thought I had set them to white, I have a dark filter on my webpage so they were white for me, my bad, I'll change em.

1 hour ago, TreeSmoothie said:

Feels a bit op for a sword to be able to contain 3 enchantments, only require one person to make, and not really require rolls either. Makes Arcanium pointless besides for containing a t5 spell, no?

Four enchantments in total, but outside of the T5 enchantment, they're only small utility spells, which I didn't think were that big of a deal personally, just sort of non-combatively useful flavor there originally for people to have magelights in their house and light fires quickly etc. Perhaps I used the wrong terminology, I don't remember the name for the weakest tier of enchants off the top of my head if they're no longer referred to as lesser enchants. I considered making it exclusively require arcanium so it had rolls as a precursor, but I wasn't sure if that'd be too exclusive for lesser magi yet to learn of Arcanium forging. This is why I put up questions though, do you think one would be more suitable? Would exclusively making the hard sculpted items require arcanium (have rolls as a precursor) be more suitable?

P.S: The single person creation on Hard-Sculpting is an oversight and has been edited, thanks for that!

Hardlight sword, hardlight swords! Reduce enchantment buff from +3 extra on a weapon to just +2. A total of 3 - one Big, Awesome enchantment, and two supporting Lesser enchantments. This abides by the rule of 3, which is well known rule in fantasy.  

43 minutes ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

Hardlight sword, hardlight swords! Reduce enchantment buff from +3 extra on a weapon to just +2. A total of 3 - one Big, Awesome enchantment, and two supporting Lesser enchantments. This abides by the rule of 3, which is well known rule in fantasy.  

I like this, I'll edit it down to two additional lesser enchantments.

1 hour ago, z3m0s said:

Algrimmor’s eyes lit ablaze with blue voidal light as he began to channel forth his ability.

ah yes, algrimmor, a new dwarven mage

1 hour ago, Puglord said:

ah yes, algrimmor, a new dwarven mage

Second only to Balgrimmor

Glad someone is still messing around with my concept, hopefully this one dosnt get admin declined 

mana fire sord mana fire sord +1

Good concept, curious what people do with it if accepted.

Did I get it right that you need a greater voidal source to do this? Sorry I’m hungover and can’t read 

6 hours ago, Gemini said:

Did I get it right that you need a greater voidal source to do this? Sorry I’m hungover and can’t read 

Hey! Sorry, timezones, yeah so in my editing I seemed to of removed the base requirements for Hard Sculpting, but they're added back now, so you'll need two magi and a greater source as a base, and I believe in general redlines it has a list of "greater" sources, basically just an obelisk, voidstalker, hearth, tear, etc etc

This lore has been denied. You will be sent a forum PM regarding the reasons for denial within the next 24 hours.