[✗] [REAGENT ADDITION] Honey & Beeswax

exogens

APIARY ALCHEMY, VOL 1
HONEY & BEESWAX

roxCJ6MsotMPb3TthnuAaLOVyJYMsaFQqK6he91EfCYuFM5uTNUmq5YCuhDlLdPZ25vDYJe2SmwBB8KYqA7pSUn0TnaS0ANOd8l41AmpQLaIrFPkR_ctRLnpBN-J0FqsUmMQock1rgI8YCbn9mkWnf0

Spoiler

ALCHEMY AND REAGENTS
3rd of Malin’s Welcome, 114.

Introduction: 

Without a question, one of the healthiest foods provided by nature is honey. It is well known to be one of the best foods for illness prevention and one of the tastiest foods to eat when having breakfast and drinking tea. It can be a good antiseptic, used to get rid of infections and improve your health, whether it's added to a drink or spread on a sponge cake, or eaten with a spoon.

Methodology

Most alchemists may find the research valuable as it allows them to identify useful symbols without having to spend money, time, or effort gathering flora. The research has been undertaken for alchemical reasons.

Additionally, this study includes three hypotheses that, ideally, it will be able to address:

Bees collect pollen from the flora, which includes several indications in the pollen.

Bees carry out chemical processes that turn pollen into honey, and they may also add extra symbols to it.

There are alchemical differences between Beeswax and Honey.

The General Research:

The general information concerning this study will be presented in this part. This will cover the time stamp, the steps, the equipment, and anything else that might be pertinent to and useful in this area.

Equipment used:

A few safety measures, such as suits and other protective clothes, were employed to ensure the bee colonies were completely safe and were not harmed throughout the research in addition to protecting humans from potential stings.

To soothe bees and prevent them from feeling intimidated by the researchers approaching them, smoke potions were also utilized.

To analyze the symbols and the distinction between honeycombs and conventional honey, particular portions of the honey were taken and examined under a magnifying lens.

Other tools were utilized to help in the collection, including shears, flasks, gloves, bottles, and other similar tools.

Location & Time-stamp:

The research was mainly conducted in these locations:

The wild forests of Petra

Lubba's Keep

The State of Lurin

It took the research summers to complete it with the desired results.

Procedures:

We had to start by looking for an average-sized hive. Neither too tiny nor too huge. Then we attempted to open the hive using a tool that wouldn't cause any harm or make the bees feel afraid. After that, we tried to create enough smoke by magic or through the use of potions to quiet the bees and prevent them from becoming angry.

After that, we made an effort to carefully open a decent spot in the wild hive to extract most of the honey using a flask and a wooden spoon and cut the honeycomb using a knife or a pair of shears. 

Then, to collect enough honeycombs and honey, we made an effort to visit 4 separate hives. After attempting to crush the four honeycombs and make them soluble in Aqua Vitae, we also obtained four bottles of honey to combine with Aqua Vitae before continuing with the next steps of the Mundane Extraction to study the symbols there.

Results

In this section, we will describe the general and specific results that have been acquired by doing this research.

By the results, we have acquired the following points were highlighted:

• The bees do most of the work by producing honey with its symbols. The type of flora is not dependent on the honey or the honeycombs.
  • It has been proven that honey/honeycombs do in fact, contains symbols due to the fact bees take the pollen from flora & reconstitute it. In this way, bee hives are like tiny alchemical laboratories.
  • Per Hive capacity, it takes around 1/4th of the portions to get the symbols needed to be extracted. It would take 4 bottles full of honey poured into a cauldron for the extractions to work. The same goes for the honeycomb.
  • A block of Honey or a block of Honeycomb contains the following symbols; (or 4 bottles of Honey or 4 pieces of Honeycomb)

Honey:

Signs: Air

It is believed to have Air since the honey has air properties and the bees' atmosphere along with its way of acting.

Symbols: 

Curtailment x1

Connection x1

Purity x1

Slowness x1

Curtailment and purity come from honey’s antiseptic, preservative nature. Slowness is seeming of its syrupy, fluid nature. Connection, as honey, seems to stick rather well to itself & other objects. Overall, a potent preservative & delicious snack.

A block of honey contains [1] measure of honey. 

Beeswax:

Signs: Earth

It is believed to have Earth due to the fact beeswax is rough. It is the material bees construct portions of their nests out of. Beeswax has many simple properties, 

Symbols: 

Rigidity x1

Order x1

Balance x1

The wax is rigid, if still soft. The natural ordering of its wax into hexagons represents some fundamental law of the substance. It is ideal for melting & reconstruction into candles but also serves as a humble base for salves or other mixtures. Wax can be molded, moved around, and remains rather unchanged. For this reason, it is also suspected to contain a symbol of balance.

A block of honeycomb contains [1] measure of beeswax. 

Conclusion:

To conclude, we believe that honey and beeswax will be one of the most useful reagents known to man after this research. Our future projects will be similar and hopefully, they'll be great foundations for every existing alchemist.

RESEARCH DONE BY,

Sir Emir d'Abbassia,

Mentor Ibisa,

Spoiler

OOC: IF ACCEPTED, THIS WILL BE THE TRUE RESEARCH. FEEL FREE TO COMMENT, HOWEVER, IC COMMENTS-COMMENTS WILL NOT BE CANON UNTIL ACCEPTED!

ST SUBMISSION: 

Honey

Sign(s): 

Air

Symbol(s):

Curtailment x1

Connection x1

Purity x1

Slowness x1

Appearance: A gooey container full of golden honey.

Harvesting: Often, smoke is used to calm bees, before collection. Stings are always a threat. All role-play must be done & the items require mechanical representation. 

Raw Effect(s): Honey is a potent preservative, as well as a sticky substance. It is not glue, however, and cannot bind nor impede anyone.

Red-lines: 

Must contain [1] block of honey or [4] honey bottles to get the signs mentioned above.

Beeswax

Sign(s): 

Earth

Symbol(s):

Rigidity x1

Order x1

Balance x1

Appearance: Often in a melted block or a crisscrossed honeycomb. 

Harvesting: Often, smoke is used to calm bees, before collection. Stings are always a threat without proper care. All roleplay must be done & the items require mechanical representation. 

Raw Effect(s): Beeswax is a basic component of many salves, as well as candles. It has no potent mundane properties, other than its gummy, meltable form. 

Redlines: 

Must contain [1] block of honeycomb or [4] pieces of honeycomb to get the signs mentioned above.

Spoiler

REASON FOR THE ADDITION:

Bottles of honey and honeycombs are one of the most useless vanilla items on LOTC. Similar to Redstone, there is not much advantage in it and we want to see honey become more useful, especially to alchemists, and we hope this addition will encourage players to start honey farms more often in their places. Symbols & signs were chosen due to roleplay around honey, and wax.

CREDITS:

exogens - Writing

DiscoLiquid - Formatting, Checking and Symbol picking

"There has to be something in the honey," insisted manic Ibisa, who demanded Emir boil the mixture for the tenth time.

OOC: More reagents for the apothecaries of the world, and those who don't have time to pick herbs. Thanks for including me, Exogens!

The scientist was already smeared with honey with a few bee-stings on his hands as he got his hand inside the bee-hive for the 100th time as he looked towards his Mentor

"I will not give up until my hypothesis is proven true!" 

Albert Salvian lofted a brow as Sir Emir @exoo handed him the research papers.
"I won't pretend to understand your work, Sir... But I believe we ought to set up a honey farm swiftly!"

The only thing holding me against the idea of adding in honey/beeswax to have reagents would be how you want to harvest them.

Currently all alchemy reagents are node plugin based, do you want to add honey/beeswax to the same?

If you do all currently collected honey/beeswax would be illegible to be used in reagent harvesting.

If you do not, the storages of honey/beeswax storages are now used for reagent farming.

Alongside what of created bee hives people have in greenhouses? 

6 hours ago, E__V__O said:

The only thing holding me against the idea of adding in honey/beeswax to have reagents would be how you want to harvest them.

Currently all alchemy reagents are node plugin based, do you want to add honey/beeswax to the same?

If you do all currently collected honey/beeswax would be illegible to be used in reagent harvesting.

If you do not, the storages of honey/beeswax storages are now used for reagent farming.

Disco and I have thought of the same thing while making the lore and we had a few solutions to prevent an overflow of honey and beeswax.

First I personally thought of the nodes idea or having ST enforce public honey farms with a specific amount of hives, or a lengthy cooldown like one hive per 12 ooc hours per player, or a cool down for bees to be able to produce honey after harvested.

Worst case scenario we would up the number of honey into 4 blocks instead of bottles. There are too many solutions that can fix this thing

4 hours ago, tasty_cheesecake said:

how do i harvest redstone for my red oil

Natural Ingredients have been utilized in alchemy before without having specified harvestable reagents. For example- Deers heart for Audnian alchemy.

Or direct example:
image.thumb.png.76e6d85632f46d5c67bd6ddeba6b5d67.png

With your example of redstone having properties of; Rage, Instability and Vigor. It gives a good counterpoint, however they're still node based examples.

-

The reagent is a good post to give some reagency into, I am just thinking of the application of it.

12 hours ago, E__V__O said:

Not all alchemy reagents are node plugin based. There are many reagents obtainable in character, such as: blood, the biles, human fingers, elf ears, deer heart, camel guts, newt eye, monkey fists, frog tongue. About half of the Hedgewitch's Healkit doesn't require noded plants. For the most part, all these require for harvest is a few emotes either hunting animals in the woods or negotiating with another character (or their corpse). For this reason, I don't think adding alchemical symbols to honey or honeycomb changes much.

These items are not that common, honey farms are accessible, but few people have stacks and stacks of honey blocks. Even if they do, plenty of people have stacks of Goblins Ivy or Paddfoot. I would wager it takes someone longer to harvest a full stack of honey blocks than it does to find 64 paddfoot on the map. 

I am fine if the storages of honey/beeswax suddenly gain alchemical potency in lore, because we have written this piece to include the research for how they were discovered. The assumption is that others have not engaged in alchemical study of their honey. I am generally unconcerned with the access to these symbols off honey/honeycomb - they were chosen to not be particularly rare symbols or ones that were already hard to get. Going back and retroactively approving honey storage would be far more annoying. 

This lore has been denied. 

Mundane reagents can just be roleplayed, don't need a lorepiece- as for the signs/symbols, we're moving away from those being available for player signed reagents in commonplace.