The Blackwater Dossier

Nectorist

The Blackwater Dossier

An investigation into the purported crimes of the war in Petra.

CHARGE I: The Alleged Infidelity of Renilde of Petra

After consultation with [REDACTED FOR CURIA] and [REDACTED FOR CURIA], the evidence present leans in favor of the sin having been committed. A formal review from the Curia is needed to determine guilt. Furthermore, I have recently received word from Miss [REDACTED FOR CURIA], a woman possessing evidence that may further shine light on the incident.

Guilt: UNDETERMINED

Recommended Punishment: To be consulted with the Curia.

CHARGE II: The Alleged Fornication of Marius of Haense

After consultation with [REDACTED FOR CURIA] and [REDACTED FOR CURIA], the evidence present leans in favor of the sin having been committed. A formal review from the Curia is needed to determine guilt. Furthermore, Miss [REDACTED FOR CURIA] also possesses firsthand knowledge of this alleged sin, and I will be speaking with her to acquire her testimony.

Guilt: UNDETERMINED

Recommended Punishment: To be consulted with the Curia.

CHARGE III: The Escalation Towards War by Constanz of Balian via the Causus Belli of His Wife’s Alleged Infidelity

After investigating the evidence at hand, I have determined that Constanz of Balian had reason to suspect his wife’s infidelity, whether the sin was committed or not, and operated under the reasonable belief that he was being cuckolded. That being said, the direct escalation to war was done out of rash tempers, and the Archduke rejected later offers of peace. Seeing as the man is deceased now, I see no reason to issue a formal condemnation of his actions, and instead advise the Curia to issue a general caution against inter-Canonist violence.

Guilt: NOT GUILTY

Recommended Punishment: None. An issuance of general condemnation of inter-Canonist violence is advised.

CHARGE IV: The Killing of Bianka Ophelia Jazloviecki by Supporters of Constanz of Balian

After investigating one of the war’s earliest deaths, I have come to the conclusion that the killing of Bianka Ophelia Jazloviecki, a noncombatant supporter of Renhilde of Petra, at the hands of the supporters of Constanz of Balian was unjust and unwarranted. Although they made the claim that she was a practitioner of dark magic, I have found no data to suggest that this was the truth, or that their motive for killing her was premised off of this. However, given the death of Constanz of Balian and many of his supporters, I find there is little to be done, otherwise I would recommend a formal apology and penance be mandated. If Sir “Wings” von Draco and Louis d’Azor, two prominent members of Constanz of Balian’s entourage, remain alive, they could undergo minor penance in order to lift the burden of the sin off of the shoulders of themselves and their deceased comrades, allowing the latter to ascend to the Seven Skies uninhibited.

Guilt: GUILTY

Recommended Punishment: Minor penance for Louis d’Azor and Sir “Wings” von Draco, should either be determined to have lived. Such should alleviate the burden of sin from their comrades most-involved in the killing of Bianki Jazloviecki.

CHARGE V: The Assault of Casimir and Augustus Vilac by Mercenaries Under the Employ of Renilde of Petra

During the aborted peace talks between Renilde of Petra and Constanz of Balian, it was brought to my attention by the King of Balian that two of his nephews were slain by Ferrymen mercenaries during Renilde’s storming of Castle Moere. After investigation, I have since determined that the two boys were a) formal combatants during the taking of Castle Moere, and b) only injured during the fighting, not slain. As revealed to me by Sir Paul Montalt and Sir Valentin Mareno, Renilde was not personally involved in the fighting and had little direct control over the events that transpired. That said, as the formal commander of the force, she bears responsibility for the sins committed by those under her command. Given the circumstances, minor penance would seem best-fitting.

Guilt: GUILTY

Recommended Punishment: Minor penance for Renilde of Petra.

Father Blackwater

Alexander rolled his eyes as he read over the last charge. "Sir Valentine and Sir Paul should be stripped of their Knighthood- for they are no honourable men. Calling an eleven-year old and thirteen year-old 'combatants' when the alleged actions took place. They must be weak men if they were unable to disarm them." He sighed then. "At least the boys live- and at least a verdict has been given."

3 minutes ago, Shmeepicus said:

Alexander rolled his eyes as he read over the last charge. "Sir Valentine and Sir Paul should be stripped of their Knighthood- for they are no honourable men. Calling an eleven-year old and thirteen year-old 'combatants' when the alleged actions took place. They must be weak men if they were unable to disarm them." He sighed then. "At least the boys live- and at least a verdict has been given."

A response is given to the King of Balian weeks later:

"Your Majesty,

While I see reason in your beliefs that the two men ought to be stripped of their knigthoods, the conference and revocation of such falls solely on the government of the Commonwealth of Petra, which is a domain that cannot be touched by the Church. Were it a Holy Knighthood (although the practice has fallen out of favor within the Church) then revocation could be done, but they are knights of the Commonwealth of Petra, which is an honor that we have no control over. As such, I can only recommend those punishments which can be legally mandated by the Curia.

Best Regards,

Father Blackwater"

35 minutes ago, Nectorist said:

CHARGE V: The Assault of Casimir and Augustus Vilac by Mercenaries Under the Employ of Renilde of Petra

"Perhaps the should not have been acting as their father's bodyguards." Renilde prepares for the minor penance.

3 minutes ago, tilly said:

"They didn't even PK..." Renilde scoffed.

"THAT'S WHY I SAID ASSAULT!" Father Blackwater screams, smacking Renilde over the head with a dictionary.

5 minutes ago, tilly said:

"They didn't even PK..." Renilde scoffed.

Nehtamo Ibarellan decides to throw a heavy book at Renilde, should she ever go to Celia'nor again. "Shut up vile *****, we had to carry the bodies of children from the fight and laid them to rest in the Petra church. You don't get to have an opinion or defend your actions after that." 

1 minute ago, rukio said:

Nehtamo Ibarellan decides to throw a heavy book at Renilde, should she ever go to Celia'nor again. "Shut up vile *****, we had to carry the bodies of children from the fight and laid them to rest in the Petra church. You don't get to have an opinion or defend your actions after that." 

"When ya mad, ya mad." Remarked the Archduchess, on guard for flying books from that point on.

Albert read the dossier with a solemn gaze, his hands trembling as he sat in a cocktail of negative emotions. So many ill-thoughts poured through his mind, yet he fought all the same to keep them restrained. In due course, the boy arose from his desk and grasped his arming sword.

Memories of what came before the carnage, of simpler times, are what he clung to for respite in these moments. That, and a bit of late night exercise...

"M'lord, where are you going?" A servant asked as the boy trekked down the gloomy hall towards the training yard. Once again, the rattling of steel against a badly battered mannequin would keep the household stirring throughout the night. 

Spoiler

As Sir 'Wings' von Hahn reads this dossier, he raises an eyebrow as he sees himself being blamed for a murder he did not commit. He continues to read it with a furrowed brow, his face growing dark with anger. "I stand ready to face any accusations thrown my way. The truth will always triumph in the end.." He crumples the dossier in his hand, his hazel-hues blazing with enmity.

Edited by MikhaiI

Kor'garr the Clanless, Scriptgoth, looks over this report with clear interest, marking it down in his notes for possible leads. A shame the names of such vital witnesses were obscured, greater interviews would be a wonderful way to dive deeper into the truths of this mess...

Several names are underlined however, including Marius of Haense, Louis D'Azor, and Wings Von Draco...

"Let'z peep zum ztoriez..."

[This will be referenced in the Kaktuz Weekli]

The incredibly petty Former-Mistress-of-the-Wardrobe would ignore the dossier, choosing instead to focus on her preparations for the upcoming Balianite Social Season. “This whole affair leaves me disgusted… I cannot believe Renilde would manipulate me in such a way to cover up her own wrongdoings. I feel as if need to seek penance when I have done nothing wrong.” She commented to herself nonetheless; preparing a pen and parchment to catch her only remaining friend, the King of Haense, up to speed on her whereabouts and what had transpired prior to the scandal becoming public. 

@gusano