A Self Reflection upon the True Dwarven Sin

AfroJoeTheOlogBro

A Self Reflection Upon the True Dwarven Sin

[!] One would find this piece of written work placed wherever notices and papers could be found, the philosophical content free for all to view.

"It would be foolish of me to claim myself a philosopher, yet not share the thoughts upon which I make philosophy. Typically I teach directly, for mine is a habit of hands on work. But, for this piece of self reflection, I find it best put to the written word, and spread to as many as possible, for I believe I am not the only one to benefit from this. It is within the eve of Belka's season, and the dawn of my soon to be wedding, that I found myself drawn to my fiance's side, berating those closest to him about their inadequacies and failures, and how their ilk had a habit of devouring those brightest amongst them until there was nothing left. Of course, the issues I hold run so much deeper, and at its heart, hold logical fallacies that I recognize and accept as apart of my own bigotry and rage induced thought. Most suffer from this, when it pertains to family, and the long line of failures stems into my family. But, I digress. It was after this heated discussion that we made to leave, only to be confronted by one who so rightly deserved worse than death, and infact had suffered such thus far, yet had not met justice at my hand for the personal slights he had levied against me and my fiance. Those present encouraged me to not simply act upon my hate, and in a moment of confliction, I aimed the well deserved beating into a near by wall, smashing my hands into metal pulps of leaking fluid. It was in this moment of confliction that I nearly drowned in my hatred, quite literally killing myself with it. I could feel my heart burning, the gears grinding out of tune, damaging, because I was unwilling to let go of the hate.

I explain all of this context to come to the point of self reflection. Why was I so unwilling to let go? Why is it that my pride in what I believed was justly owed so overpowering that I was willing to nearly die to see it done? My thought wandered, as I sat to contemplate, mending my hands with the aid of close kin and friend, as to where the pride was truly sourced, for I already knew the source of the hate. Then I realized a fundamental truth. In my dwarven upbringing, I was taught how to be greedy and covetous, how to lord over others with my riches, and be proud of the fact. I realized, I had also learned how to hate, and how to cackle with ravenous glee as I clung to my hate like a precious treasure. We dwarves catalogue our hates in grand books, each clan holding their own hates. It is often encouraged and indeed rewarded to hate, and to hate eternally. I do not want what I describe as hate to be mixed with blood lust. One is expended with the application of aggression, but hate seems to only grow the more one engages it, until it is in so plentiful an amount as to drown in it. A dwarf can be defined on who he hates, why he hates them, and for how long his family has carried this hate from one to another. A perilous heirloom that roots in the soul. Some would posit that the sin of the Dwed is to be cursed with Greed, but in my experience, it is Hate that is far more prevalent. We do not even see as it rots us from within, driving us into early graves and grudge filled wars. It runs us to attack each other just as often as we might an outward foe. By Belka, we are a passionate and hungry people, starving for life, and living it deeply. So to is this trait tied to our hate, for better or worse. 

I end this bit of scribing with a simple message. That every dwed has a right to voice his opinion is an Urguani boast, but Hate is not an opinion, it is a phobia. It isnt a view point, it is a disease of the heart and soul and mind to make one unwilling to engage in the blessed rotation of the world. To engage in Change. I do not preach that one should be without anger. Anger forms in the face of injustice and beseeches ones morality to see justice done, but Hate taints Justice into Vengeance. Anything very big is very simple. If there is a big hoard of hate there is a big solution to releasing it, and that solution is simple. Let go, or let it ruin you."

[!] The text bore no signature, but in the tradition of his people, there was a Touch Mark stamped into the bottom of the work.

Rylanors_Touch_Mark.png

Spoiler

I got really philosophical in the mindset of my character after some really good rp, and decided that he would write it out and share his finding with the world, as any good scholar should. I hope it inspires characters present and characters to come. Cheers my friends 

Meylis recognizes the mark in an instant. The mark of a friend and teacher. He reads the note carefully and returns to his lab to grab a small book, his own book of grudges. He reads each page carefully and commits every name to memory before striking them from his book, in their place he adds one name... 

"I suppose I'll need to ask what happened next I see him... and to thank him for so clearly painting a picture of the true plague of Urguan."

"Its either kill or get killed, Rylanor." The half-borg dwarf muttered, his ticking eyes trailing off of the pinned letter. "You'll regret sparing your enemy when they come back to finish a job you failed to do."

[!] The stamped Touch Mark catches a set of blue eyes, which promptly scanned the piece with unconvinced amusement.

A silent ferocity comes mumbled:

"He never learned a thing..."

The low chuckle that followed is blocked out by the sound of paper being crushed by calloused hands.