I don't want to be a slave to my region anymore

NotEvilAtAll

5 minutes ago, Llir said:

I've been reading all of your replies, thank you all for your feedback and drawing attention to these issues. I see two main concerns being outlined:

1. How prebuild land selection was decided for next map (and rather, who didn't make the cut).
  2. How activity currently works.

I'll start with the first -- the list we have right now is not final, though it contains 15 nations/settlements, and 10 lairs. We based this list off of solely activity numbers for settlements/nations, and individual audits for evidence of RP for lairs. I see basing this off of the raw numbers alone was a mistake, and consideration should have been given to every group who didn't automatically make the cut. I am committed to finding a solution for the halflings, please reach out to me on Discord ASAP @NotEvilAtAll/@Hearth.

Onto the current system... the purpose of activity should mainly be to flag dead settlements for staff, so the land can be freed up for other groups to use. Activity is a necessary evil to prevent land exhaustion and ghost towns, though I realize that this system has had major issues:

• Too strict requirements, especially for smaller groups who may very well generate great RP, though aren't constantly on.
  • Difficult for staff to maintain, leading to inconsistencies this map as the system was neglected from time to time.
  • Discourages traveling outside of your home region.
  • Creates a gamey culture around activity that goes against key aspects of our Mission Statement.

These are not issues we want to bring over to next map. I know the current system sucks, and needs to be changed. These are all points we have been discussing for months in the map development meetings, and have plans to remedy for 9.0. Many of the ideas I've seen have already been considered, and I am glad to share some details on the system design for next map:

• Activity will be monitored on both a persona's realm association, as well as your current location. These two factors will be tracked independently and both considered when making decisions on evictions.
  • The baseline activity threshold will be lower on average.

• Activity will not be required to maintain additional tiles, this will only be a mina cost.
  • All manual steps required in the tracking of the data will be removed, replaced with an automatic system that removes both the dependency on staff doing weekly spreadsheet work and potential biases (note: any final decisions on evictions will still require staff approval, there will be no auto-evictions).
  • The strike system will be removed in favour of tracking a rolling average.

These are just some central details for the system; much of it is still in work and the concerns raised in this thread will be considered as we prepare a final draft. The central point we've reiterated again and again in our map development meetings is that we want to remove the gamey and punishing aspects of the system. What we implement for next map will be fair, flexible, and easy for us to amend should it not be achieving its goals. This is key to having a fun and successful 9.0, as;

Aligning with our Mission Statement must come before the numbers game.

And that cannot wait until next map, that must happen now. Effective for the current weekly activity cycle, I'll be taking the following measures to prevent any further repercussions due to the system for the remainder of this map:

• Activity strikes due to failing to meet 1% for settlements and 3% for nations activity requirements are suspended.
  • Nations downgrading to settlements or losing tiles (aka 'Nation Diminishing' in the current system) will no longer occur.
  • Activity data will still be collected and sent to PROs, though this will only be used for:
    • Determining final ordering for prebuild land selection for next map.
    • Flagging truly dead settlements for eviction. The numbers will just be an indicator and we'll perform a manual audit for eviction decisions. If there is consistent roleplay, you won't lose your settlement.

I hope this information can help alleviate some concerns, and allow everyone to roleplay without thinking about activity for the remainder of our time on Almaris.

Please feel free to reach on Discord (Llir#5410) if you would like to discuss any of this with me personally. I will keep an eye on this thread, though find having direct conversations to be more productive when discussing details of systems like this.

not readin allat

8 minutes ago, Llir said:

I've been reading all of your replies, thank you all for your feedback and drawing attention to these issues. I see two main concerns being outlined:

1. How prebuild land selection was decided for next map (and rather, who didn't make the cut).

I'll start with the first -- the list we have right now is not final, though it contains 15 nations/settlements, and 10 lairs. We based this list off of solely activity numbers for settlements/nations, and individual audits for evidence of RP for lairs. I see basing this off of the raw numbers alone was a mistake, and consideration should have been given to every group who didn't automatically make the cut. I am committed to finding a solution for the halflings, please reach out to me on Discord ASAP @NotEvilAtAll/@Hearth.

Onto the current system... the purpose of activity should mainly be to flag dead settlements for staff, so the land can be freed up for other groups to use. Activity is a necessary evil to prevent land exhaustion and ghost towns, though I realize that this system has had major issues:

• Too strict requirements, especially for smaller groups who may very well generate great RP, though aren't constantly on.
  • Difficult for staff to maintain, leading to inconsistencies this map as the system was neglected from time to time.
  • Creates a gamey culture around activity that goes against key aspects of our Mission Statement.

These are not issues we want to bring over to next map. I know the current system sucks, and needs to be changed. These are all points we have been discussing for months in the map development meetings, and have plans to remedy for 9.0. Many of the ideas I've seen have already been considered, and I am glad to share some details on the system design for next map:

• Activity will be monitored on both a persona's realm association, as well as your current location. These two factors will be tracked independently and both considered when making decisions on evictions.

• Activity will not be required to maintain additional tiles, this will only be a mina cost.
  • All manual steps required in the tracking of the data will be removed, replaced with an automatic system that removes both the dependency on staff doing weekly spreadsheet work and potential biases (note: any final decisions on evictions will still require staff approval, there will be no auto-evictions).

These are just some central details for the system; much of it is still in work and the concerns raised in this thread will be considered as we prepare a final draft. The central point we've reiterated again and again in our map development meetings is that we want to remove the gamey and punishing aspects of the system. What we implement for next map will be fair, flexible, and easy for us to amend should it not be achieving its goals. This is key to having a fun and successful 9.0, as;

And that cannot wait until next map, that must happen now. Effective for the current weekly activity cycle, I'll be taking the following measures to prevent any further repercussions due to the system for the remainder of this map:

• Activity strikes due to failing to meet 1% for settlements and 3% for nations activity requirements are suspended.
  • Nations downgrading to settlements or losing tiles (aka 'Nation Diminishing' in the current system) will no longer occur.
  • Activity data will still be collected and sent to PROs, though this will only be used for:
    • Flagging truly dead settlements for eviction. The numbers will just be an indicator and we'll perform a manual audit for eviction decisions. If there is consistent roleplay, you won't lose your settlement.

I hope this information can help alleviate some concerns, and allow everyone to roleplay without thinking about activity for the remainder of our time on Almaris.

Please feel free to reach on Discord (Llir#5410) if you would like to discuss any of this with me personally. I will keep an eye on this thread, though find having direct conversations to be more productive when discussing details of systems like this.

Good shit Kowa

8 minutes ago, Llir said:

Based! A hopeful step in a good direction.

20 minutes ago, Llir said:

I've been reading all of your replies, thank you for your feedback and drawing attention to these issues. I see two main concerns being outlined:

I'll start with the first -- the list we have right now for prebuild is not final, though it contains 15 nations/settlements, and 10 lairs. We based this list off of solely activity numbers for settlements/nations, and individual audits for evidence of RP for lairs. I see basing this off of the raw numbers alone was a mistake, and consideration should have been given to every group who didn't automatically make the cut. I am committed to finding a solution for the halflings, please reach out to me on Discord ASAP @NotEvilAtAll/@Hearth.

tl;dr no more activity checks this map, major changes for next map

Finally, a good response from the administration, I hope to see these changes occur next map and I hope the playerbase will hold you to the promises made here, at the end of the day it should not be Players vs Staff but it damn does feels like it sometimes. Hopefully this can all change going forth, cheers Llir.

5 hours ago, Llir said:

This is mildly concerning and I do hope if you are going to move over to further convoluting and oocifying the nation/settlement system you can change the commands to be actually like...

Simple, the current command is smthn weird.

Take into account neutral folk.

Or dont do it at all. Im really of the belief lotc doesnt need more commands and features that you need to search the forums far and wide for guides to know wtf you're doing. This is a pain for both old and especially new players, and probably not great for player retention - esp rn that resource gathering and other stuff that should be straightforward and simple (its minecraft) is buggered from the dreadful vortex experiment, and hubs are shit.

Ah, finally, I can now sit two blocks to the east and not tank Bywater's stats

A step in the right direction, although we'll just have to wait and see how things shake out next map. Absolute jumper W tho.

I'm late to the party but I would like to add that from my witnessing a couple of these conversations that it was genuinely something the admins have been concerned with for a while, not just trying to appease people after an outcry. 

There is some sort of necessity for tracking activity to monitor truly dead settlements if we want to have a freeform system where people can create settlements easily. I'm hopeful for the system they're designing, and hope they continue to take into consideration factors like:

Travelers who don't have a home,

Potential adverse side affects of having a plugin automate this more,

Scaling realms next map, don't want to be too generous to where it's very easy to control a lot of land by gaming something alone,

etc.

This is just... Wow. I cannot believe that this is happening, and I strongly disagree with Halflings needing to have activity checks as it is not mandatory for them to have to be put into pressure like that. They've been around from the start and are BARELY any threat other than that they can acquire magical weapons and artefacts like anyone else. That is not to trample the Halflings, to say that they are weak folk- They are not! They are just very peaceful and enjoy life as it is, I enjoy rping with them and want to continue doing so!

Very good to see this flawed system being changed for the better

On 2/23/2023 at 4:12 PM, Mannamannaa said:

I really don't think any form of cooperation with the OOC activity check will solve the core of this issue:

Staff shouldn't be the ones deciding whether IRP communities live or die. RP characters should. Any OOC plugins like nations should exist only for the absolute necessities of being able to more easily operate/define the location of a large group and manage the mechanical perms for regions so that griefing and landscarring do not become commonplace.

My biggest issue with leaving it to RP and players, is watching how many smaller settlements show up, and how long they take to disappear. Those settlements can refrain from causing issues with other places, and then slowly wittle away and die on their own, but their build will remain and nothing will be done because the staff aren't aware that their activity is null.

The solution, in my opinion, lies in the middle of cooperating between RP, and staff managing the removal of builds from dead tiles.

On 2/23/2023 at 1:28 PM, Amayonnaise said:

I think a new mechanic could be added that utilises our /cardex perms, and the activity monitoring on the server. Keep the Nation Activity monitoring of course, but maybe when someone sets their "Nation" using /cardex, that will contribute to another activity statistic for that tile?

What I mean is, you could have
- Activity Stats for the tile itself
- Activity Stats for characters with that tile as their "Nation", or home

On 2/24/2023 at 2:37 PM, Llir said:

Activity will be monitored on both a persona's realm association, as well as your current location. These two factors will be tracked independently and both considered when making decisions on evictions.

big hype