IL COMPLOTTO DELLA MOGLIE

ydegirl

IL COMPLOTTO DELLA MOGLIE

A play by A. P. Varoche

Published in 1912

Semi-inspired by the story of Emigliana of Napoliza, Duchess of Adria

CAST

Paloma – The mistress of Salvatore, a bawdy woman dressed in scandalous and revealing clothing.

Salvatore – Paloma’s lover and the husband of Anna. Tall, broad and handsome with dark hair.

Anna – Salvatore’s wife, paranoid and driven to insanity by the actions of Salvatore.

SETTING

Set in late 1700s, early 1800s in a Providence-esque city somewhere in the heartlands. A vast, wild kingdom, our story follows a high-ranking noble, his wife driven to madness, and his mistress.

ACT I | La Padrona

Spoiler

Curtains rise to an old manor’s foyer, neatly made up and in the early 1800s providentian style. It was lavish, with paintings showcasing each patriarch of the household – all of whom dressed in fine silks and adorned by jewels. On the left, a door leading to an off-stage bedroom is placed. Behind them is the front door.

ENTER STAGE LEFT: Paloma and Salvatore, stumbling out of the door. Messy makeup adorns Paloma’s face and a mischievous grin on Salvatore’s.

PALOMA takes a moment to glance about her surroundings, swiping a small, ruby necklace left on a nearby table.

PALOMA:

Querido, how familiar your manor has become,

The walls that surround us

Do not demand we be something we’re not.

PALOMA caresses SALVATORE’s cheek.

SALVATORE:

Mia colomba,

I’d offer the world to you if it meant

We’d be together forever,

SALVATORE grabs PALOMA’s hands, running his own over hers. He pauses for a moment, staring into her eyes.

SALVATORE:

Run away with me, cara!

We will be free from the consonant world

that we live in.

We’ll be free doves in a land far, far away.

PALOMA:

You know I’d love to,

But I cannot give up

what I have built for myself

in this world. What I’ve built,

for my family.

I’m not giving the fame of acting up,

to be a farmer in Norland!

SALVATORE rolls his eyes, scoffing. He drops her hands, displeased with PALOMA’s answer. He raises his voice, almost yelling at PALOMA.

SALVATORE:
Oh, you’re nothing more

then a used, bawdy harlot!

You’re no good of an actor,

you are only here for the money!

I’ve never loved you!

PALOMA:

Oh, please! It takes an bobolyne

not to see I never loved you!

Of course I’m only in it for the money, you fool!

SALVATORE furrows his brows, his face painted with an angry expression. He hits PALOMA with all the strength in his body. PALOMA tears up, a hand-shaped mark across her face.

SALVATORE:

Paloma…

PALOMA stands there in shock, unable to register what just happened – she sniffles, speeding out the front door.

EXIT PALOMA.

(Yelling) SALVATORE:

Paloma!

The curtains fall on Salvatore, standing in the foyer. His hand shakes as he brings it up to his face. He stares up to the audience, a phlegmatic look resting on his face. EXIT SALVATORE

ACT II | La Trama

Spoiler

CURTAINS RISE to ANNA sobbing in bed, her face smothered into a white pillow in an ornate, providence style bedroom. The bed, on which she lays, is a baby blue color with an intricate headboard. ANNA rises from the bed, wiping her tears off her face with a handkerchief and turning towards the audience.

ANNA:

That.. that bedswerver!

I have shown him nothing but kindness,

I provided him with my three sons, Abele, Paul, and Osmondo!

One heir and two to spare!

And this is how he repays me?

ANNA paces towards the left, stomping her foot down and flicking her hand back once she stops.

ANNA:

Laying with a prostituta!

I provide him with a caring wife,

an obedient wife!

A loving wife!

No longer will I be the subservient wife,

ANNA pauses, moving over to a cabinet, she throws out trinkets and bobbles – all in an opera of anger. Finally, ANNA pulls out an ornate, silver dagger. She smiles slyly, lowering her head.

ANNA:

The next time I see that puttana,

I’ll stab him -

ANNA makes a stabbing motion towards the audience, pausing for a moment.

ANNA:

Right in his damned heart!

CURTAINS FALL as ANNA paces around the room, muttering to herself her plan.

ACT III | L'omicidio

Spoiler

CURTAINS RISE to a providential-style apartment, white marble adorns the room, and ornate family heirlooms are scattered through-out the room. The audience finds SALVATORE ENTERING from the RIGHT, with ANNA sitting on a lavish, velvet couch.

ANNA hops up from the velvet couch, placing her hand under SALVATORE’s chin.

ANNA:

Oh, mio caro!

I’ve been waiting for you,

SALVATORE:

Really, agnello?

ANNA:

Si, marito.

ANNA drags her fingers down from SALVATORE’s chin, resting them on his chest as she taps her fingers on his collar.

ANNA:

I know what you’ve been doing,

I see her leaving the manor,

face marked by your palm-print.

I know you’re hopping beds with this prostituta.

SALVATORE looks nervous - shocked, even. A bead of sweat runs down his face.

SALVATORE:

I don’t know what you speak of, wench.

How dare you accuse me of these,

these unspeakable acts!

I’d never flee the bed of my wife!

ANNA pulls out the ornate, silver dagger from before, holding it just at his heart. She’s shaking, sweat pouring from her forehead like a summer rain storm.

ANNA:

I am not an artless fool!

We can sit here and rap and yak, all night

but I know what I saw!

SALVATORE:

I promise Anna, I would never!

SALVATORE’s eyes are wide – like a deer, about to be shot. He’s frozen, shaking, tears roll down from his face.

ANNA:

Oh don’t cry, you dug your grave!

You dug it the moment you laid in bed with that attrice!

In our bed!

ANNA’s dagger dives into SALVATORE’s chest. SALVATORE lets out a blood-curdling scream, bouncing off the walls of the apartment. Some sort of cherry red liquid spilt out from SALVATORE’s chest as he fell limp onto the floor.

ANNA drops the dagger, kneeling down to her deceased husband – she weeps. ANNA buries herself in SALVATORE’s chest, screaming and wailing. She’s only now just realized what she’s done.

After a few moments of crying, ANNA mutters a prayer.

ANNA:

GOD, forgive me for all my sins -

for I am but a humble woman,

doing her best to carry out your deeds.

When I die, GOD,

turn me into a flower.

ANNA picks the dagger back up, staring at it for a moment before pushing it into her chest – that same, cherry red liquid spills out from her dress. She falls limp onto the floor. ANNA, laying there as blood pools out around her, signs the Lorraine cross. The curtains descend down onto her.

Spoiler

I hate ITALIANS I HATE ITALIANS I HATE ITALIANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The current Duchess of Adria, Austina Sarkozic, laid in her sick bed enjoying the dramatic story of Lady Anna. Eventually, she’d offer the script to her husband idly mentioning her desire to play Anna. 

@Beamon4