THE COMMAND OF IBLISS

hotbox_monk

Okay so here is an excerpt of my own writing from 2 years ago when i still actively played.  

“From the ilk of Urir Ireheart emerged the cursed bloodline of the Dorkadrel.  Their very existence defied most laws of the descendents.  Cast out and forced to rise from the ashes, the Doomforged have always taken up their own arms to hold fast during times of war.  

A storm has been brewing for much time, as the Doomforged have foreseen this many moons ago.  As the Elders gathered for what seemed to be several stone days.  They had finally emerged from the council chambers of Az’Nolvar.  They came to a conclusion and had begun sending word to any remaining kin of theirs.”

Now here is an excerpt from AI taking the concept and re-fashioning it into a different style without having to constantly refer to a thesaurus or whatever it is you doomer posters use these days.  

Verily, from the kin of Urir Ireheart didst arise the accursed bloodline of the Dorkadrel. Their very existence didst flout most laws of descent. Ostracized and forced to rise from the ashes, the Doomforged hath ever taken up their own arms to hold fast during times of war.

Lo, a tempest hath been brewing for much time, as the Doomforged hath foreseen this many moons ago. As the Elders didst gather for what seemed to be several stone days, they didst finally emerge from the council chambers of Az’Nolvar. They came to a conclusion and didst begin sending word to any remaining kin of theirs.”

Hate it or love it as you will see the previous 3 posts i have made all branded with the black drake picture have had AI incorporated into the posts.  Sort of a personal experiment i wanted to see what limitations there truly were and to see if better content could be created like using Midjourney for art.  But yeah — as you can see my own real writing is ill comparison to the AI, but thats okay because we live in a world where tech and human minds co exist.  I recommend this tool to anyone who struggles as you can take it a step further and really learn from the AI as you can have it explain vocabulary and simply break down the structure of its writing so that you can kinda digest that use it in your own.  

Yes, that's correct! I'm ChatGPT, a language model developed by OpenAI, and I'm here to assist you with any questions or concerns you might have. Is there anything specific you would like to know or discuss?

^ hotbox when he gets caught 

If you're going to use AI writing then at least make it clear you used AI to begin with. Don't try and pass it off as purely your work, y'know? 

As a server we're going to have to tackle the issue of AI writing being used to make entire lore posts, applications, TAs, etc. and how we approach the issue of artistic integrity in that regard. These tools have the potential to do a lot of good, as you've said, but the potential avenues of malicious or simply lazy usage needs to be addressed, accounted for, and safeguards need to be put in place. 

9 minutes ago, Werew0lf said:

Yes, that's correct! I'm ChatGPT, a language model developed by OpenAI, and I'm here to assist you with any questions or concerns you might have. Is there anything specific you would like to know or discuss?

^ hotbox when he gets caught 

Im deciding to purchase another 1000 Acres of land in your head.

8 minutes ago, Valannor said:

If you're going to use AI writing then at least make it clear you used AI to begin with. Don't try and pass it off as purely your work, y'know? 

As a server we're going to have to tackle the issue of AI writing being used to make entire lore posts, applications, TAs, etc. and how we approach the issue of artistic integrity in that regard. These tools have the potential to do a lot of good, as you've said, but the potential avenues of malicious or simply lazy usage needs to be addressed, accounted for, and safeguards need to be put in place. 

IMG_0372.png

Here is an example of how i actually used ChatGPT-  The writing i actually had to do because the AI wasnt willing to go the length, but vocabulary revitalizations and trying to narrow down casting mechanics and redlines were apart of the AI process.

Some parts of the writing were able to be carried out to the fullest extent with lengthly prompts and details, but without the given information the AI usually doesn’t give the hoped for result.

3 hours ago, Valannor said:

this is such a nonsense concern

"omg you used an AI to write this lore! cheater! cheater!!!"

who gives a **** if it's lazy or lets people sound like better writers than they are? lore isn't meant to be a "test". if people using AI means they produce better lore and content, then everyone wins.

the fact we literally have an ST here worrying that AI will turn lore-writing into less of a ****-measuring contest rly says it all

CHATGPT and the whole OpenAI framework is a fantastic scaffolding device for writing and the flaws in it are very apparent if someone straight plagiarizes.

Ngl if the ST accepts AI lore, that's just our fault for kinda sucking at reviewing when it's robotic and weird sounding

20 hours ago, ScreamingDingo said:

CHATGPT and the whole OpenAI framework is a fantastic scaffolding device for writing and the flaws in it are very apparent if someone straight plagiarizes.

Ngl if the ST accepts AI lore, that's just our fault for kinda sucking at reviewing when it's robotic and weird sounding

I agree, great idea machine, horrible final draft maker. Also with how harshly lore that has 10s of man-hours invested into it's creation is judged, I would be truly astounded if a basic AI prompt lore submission was not immediately ridiculed over small-detail level flaws in balancing/redlines/lore coherence, much less actually accepted.

On 2/23/2023 at 2:03 PM, Valannor said:

True! This is a discussion that should be made. In the end, I believe the response to "lazy writing" in LotC will be the same regardless of whether it was automated or made by inexperienced hands/humans... A swift denial. The concern I do have is any unexpected increase in the quantity of submissions our already overworked volunteers have to sift through from those willing to use AI generation as a shortcut instead of a carefully implemented tool in creating unique lore.

Ah, a quick clarification: By lazy I mean untested writing that is not refined to coherently mesh with the rest of the server lore either IRPly or OOCly (balanced redlines, overall lore compliance, techlock, etc). Just because lore is produced quickly or with AI doesn't make it bad. If it is made with a clear lack of respect for everyone else's contributions to our collaborative story, however, that is an issue.