[NEW MAP IDEA] ONLY RACIAL TILES (NOTHING ELSE)

Priceflash

of my long time on Staff and previously as NL, I agree with absolutely everything Price has said.

Not a bad Idea, especially since it would fall under the idea of having Race realms

and cities having region control rather than owning their own tiles.

the again this would be complicated due to the issue of cultures and rp. Like you mentioned in this post Norland being very isolated away from other humans cities would have a lot of bad political issues if they were close to them. This being almost every Human nation is well

for better term, trying convert Norland to canonist by ceasing their cultural religion. As one fake quote mentioned “A good King, a Canonist King”.

on top of that not many elven nations at the current moment would like to share the same space with each other. This caused many issues and laps and needed remodeling of the map to adjust to everyone’s needs and expectations of cultural and rp dynamics and also just straight up, minding where people wish to be Oocly.

I like the idea, but feel the changes necessary would be too drastic, and would cause as many problems as it solves. It's always easier to turn what you have into something better, instead of starting from scratch.

I have a few thoughts I'd like to share, and then I'll get into how I think your ideas should be implemented.

Heavy handed approach

I agree that it would be beneficial to keep players closer together, for the reasons you mentioned; activity and accessibility.

I think your idea is a good foundation, but forcing players to stay closer together removes choice, and effects a lot of edge cases.

What if you wanted to set up an outpost to scout out the enemy before a siege?

What if you want to establish a new holy site for your religion in a very specific location?

What if there's a resource you absolutely have to capitalize, regardless of political consequence?

An ideal solution would allow settlements to spread out, but encourage players to play more closely together.

I assume this was the intention for activity checks.

Resource based economy

In the real world, things like gold, iron, wood, have value because they can be turned into things that are useful, or because they can be used in a way that is useful.

For example, a chunk of raw iron has very little value on it's own, but by refining it, forging it, and turning it into a tool, value has been added in a way that makes the finished product more desirable.

The effort of all these processes, and the skills required to carry them out, creates scarcity, which drives up cost. If I could find the tool I was looking for from a short stroll in the woods, it would hold no value, because everybody would just do the same.

My issue with a resource based economy in a game is that items have very little value to start with, and it is hard to add value to items in a way that makes it consistently desirable. In real life, the creation of a tool relies on the experience and effort of countless people, but in a game, I can mine the iron, chop the tree, and bring it all together in just a couple of minutes.

Think about how Mina are created, used, and destroyed, and how precisely all these things can be controlled.

My idea

Have few 'capital tiles' that have a high upkeep in Mina, and require settlements to vassal themselves to one of these 'capital tiles'. Then, charge settlements an upkeep in Mina based on their distance to the capital.

At the beginning of a world, the Humans may group together around a single capital, building their settlements closely together to avoid paying high fees. Small settlements that do not pull in much Mina would inevitably want to stay closer to a capital, and large settlements that are quite successful would be able to shoulder the higher fees.

As a nation, outposts would still be viable, but limited in number.

As a settlement, space and distance would be a serious consideration.

As an individual, roleplay would be more accessible, and settlements that are far away are guaranteed to be active.

If a settlement is unable to shoulder the fees, it falls into decay, and may be claimed by another group willing to take up the mantle.

A large settlement may chose to become a capital itself, if they are able to pay the price.

Edited by GgDionne

dude holy shit just implement a nations plugin this is so sad that THIS is a better proposal than what we have

Please tell me this is a joke... This completely decimates much lore, and would only make sense if there were constant racial conflicts that lead to the uniting of all same-race nations. This would also discourage new players who have a friend, let's say in Norland, to play an elf or orc leaving them virtually no choice in the matter.

On 2/26/2023 at 9:11 PM, NotEvilAtAll said:

I think we should all live in one big city with a High School as its central feature.

Now accepting requests for LOTC prom

Please god no, the ‘thill… THE ‘THILL

you're not wrong

but we could just get rid of tiles altogether and replace it with towny or nexus regions or something and very few people would notice. the tile system (and thus 70% of the land on each map) only exist to be conquered and traded around like tokens in nation v nation dickwaving contests. 

On 2/26/2023 at 7:11 PM, NotEvilAtAll said:

I think we should all live in one big city with a High School as its central feature.

brilliant.

On 2/26/2023 at 5:03 PM, TreeSmoothie said:

There doesn't need to be activity checks per se, just 'Is this nation consistently filled with people (i.e. by using playercount at peak times in each timezone)', 'is this nation hosting events and fun things to do?', etc. If they don't have many people OR events, then they just need to focus on making themselves bigger BEFORE creating new towns. 

It may be a bit RPG-esque or something like that, but I feel like it'd prevent a lot of these issues. 

(ALSO, I think lairs are at a good state rn... ish? From what I've seen they're being given to groups that need them, such as the Djinn, necros, mystics, etc etc. There have been a few that were simply wonky like someone getting a lair accepted for their broken-down Oren family, but those seem far and few.)

On 2/26/2023 at 4:46 PM, Priceflash said:

We shouldn't have Norland completely across the map from Oren

Not sure why these two groups would want to settle within a thousand blocks of one another.

Also brings into question how many biomes one tile would have. Seems like it'd be fairly difficult to have desert, plains, forests, mountains, snow, jungles and all that contained to one area, especially when other groups that aren't human also want to be in biomes just like that. Realistically, this doesn't seem particularly feasible unless you want to forcefully absolve any cultural distinctions between player groups. Norland doesn't get to be snowy, Barrowlands doesn't get to have the hinterlands aesthetic, and Balian no longer gets to be Byzantine anymore.