Things the server needs

argonian

A better sugre. Please. 1.8 pvp. Ive pleaded this to tech team idk how many times, never an answer. 

1.8 pvp is more fun, its easier for noobs too, so people who cant pvp wont have to go scizo and whinge. It allows for actual fun lore. I love reading about previous battles with shit like a 5v20 lmao. Its much better than, 500 v 700 (bigger side wins). And as everyone mentioned above, it always turns into a boring ass bow battle. Only fun thing about raids and wars are the vc

14 hours ago, argonian said:

wdym by mc head farms though?

From my assumption, I think they meant head farms, as in:

You see these grape heads as grape farms in almost every nation / noble estate? Make them right clickable so one can farm them without breaking it or making it appear as griefing

Wiki team on their way to make the most detailed wiki article about an obscure war/family (It's easier to write and new players will enjoy it)

12 hours ago, TheWaffleEater2 said:

I wanna see Racial Buffs, and something like Nexus come back.

I want Nexus 2.0 @Aesopian

18 hours ago, argonian said:

1. Overworld mining and resource gathering.

Agree to a somewhat degree. Dont think people should be able to deforest whole areas or dig massive mines. Prefer the current plugin but not applied to some random spots that nobody knows about, but the whole map outside of towns. Or just add ressource pits

2. Caves with dangerous mobs that me n the boys can hunt for mina and loot.

Agree on caves and random mines. Dont think mobs would work that well since they get disabled after a certain player count

3. More armour tiers. Swap iron with chainmail and make have actual iron armour be made from iron blocks or smth, and then add diamond on top of that.

Completely disagree. Grinding gear shouldnt be encouraged, to get the edge over somebody. Nor do I really see the point of it.

4. BUT in return swap back to 1.8 pvp so we stop dying of old age, arthritis, and the embarrassment of telling our doctors we got carpal tunnel from fighting for the glory of House Novellen.

Prefer 1.8 pvp over 1.9 pvp. The change was dumb

5. Remove tiles they literally serve no purpose besides making things worse.

No opinion on the matter

6. Remove most nation/settlement perks and just make them purchasable etc. This dumbfuckery that you can't get a green pillar because you have 50 too few EU4 bird mana or whatever is just ridiculous. 

Agree.

7. Freebuild anywhere that ppl don't pay up (mina-wise ofc!) to region.

100% Agree. Its amazing how stupid these rules are. Cant have trade caravans, cant have hidden bandit hideouts, cant have renegades, cant build a road tavern, cant do your own thing must join a nation. However dont think anybody should be able to build.. Maybe have an easy building app so people dont grief or build dicks everywhere.

Hopefully one day the disabled staff team will see reason.

8. A general abandonment of the idea that new player retention is fostered by babying them rather than by giving them agency (freebuild, overworld resource gathering, etc. are very much connected here!)

Hard agree. People aint gonna stay just because you spray pink paint over a turd.

9. Related to the above: streamline the application process. One important example, instead of just telling them to "read duh lore stupid" and directing them to our thousands of pages of mostly out-of-date lore, we should just have a thread for each race describing the basics (the Four Brothers, the original racial nations, major religions, etc.) and just ask the applicants questions that are clearly answered in the thread for the race they're applying as. Or smth like that. In Aegis we just had to know who the Four Brothers were and we could wave away our characters' ignorance by saying "ahyes but you see I come from a distant land". These days noobs have to pretend they came from the capital of Haense and then log in unable to actually find their "home". What purpose does that serve?

Going big and I agree too. Should also implement lore so that people dont have to say they're from an already existing nation. Maybe have them be refugees from another content..

10. Mass rule wipes. Some rules can just be deleted or merged, others trivially made obsolete (instead of banning players for jumping 3+ blocks on a horse... just limit horses to 3 block jump height???), and any and all rules related to RP magic and combat can be deleted too while you're at it.

No opinion

11. Related to the above, mass rollback of Region Owner rights. Just one example: crazy that these ppl can ban "vehicles" (read: boats) in their regions purely to prevent ppl sailing away to safety on their streams n rivers.

Dont know if that is really happening but if is I agree

12. Oh and stop having half the map be literal OOC demilitarised zones. The whole point of this server is to "deal with it in RP stupid", but then you actually log in and everywhere you go you get a message like "*THIS IS A HUB. YOU WILL BE PERMA-BANNED IF YOU SWEAR HERE))". You're mid-PVP chasing some guy and suddenly it's all like "Papieren, bitte!" because you accidentally crossed into the OOC international zone that takes up half the map. I heard the CT is being moved off map. Good move if so! Never let anyone return without dying please.

I agree.. But there is no Papieren its Papiere.

10 hours ago, Laeonathan said:

I will fight freebuild to my death because if it gets reimplemented I know I will be the one who will manage it.

Man honest question why are you on CT if you only want whats best for staff? Someone wants more freedom for the everyday player and you someone who should work for the community is against it because it would cause staff work.

Hope you know this is not a real job.

Clicking 10 cps is not gonna induce CTS for most lol. Also fights are way shorter on 1.8!

How would you propose this be set up exactly? I liked the change from mine-world to node mining this map. The mine-world was anti-rp and node mines could cause conflict. They never really were implemented to a point that it mattered to control mines which is probably a good thing.

1. Caves with dangerous mobs that me n the boys can hunt for mina and loot.

I would like PVE aspects of LotC a lot more if they were mechanic driven. I like playing Minecraft still even though I am a boomer and would prefer to use the mechanics of the game. Telanir's curio plugin was supposed to help with this but has not materialized yet. @TelanirDo we have an ETA on those cool features?

1. More armour tiers. Swap iron with chainmail and make have actual iron armor be made from iron blocks or smth, and then add diamond on top of that.

I don't hate this idea. I think one way that could be good is not to increase performance but increase durability. Also, stone tools should be infinite tools. They should not break. Why do I need an inventory of tools blocking collection of fields. Either that or bring back purchasable golden tools. That was a good minas sink. 

1. BUT in return swap back to 1.8 pvp so we stop dying of old age, arthritis, and the embarrassment of telling our doctors we got carpal tunnel from fighting for the glory of House Novellen.

I prefer spam click pvp as well. My real life gets in the way of participating in long CRP or PVP conflict like we have now. Dogs need to go out, my family interrupts my play, I have to respond to one of the my other hobbies or commitments, dishes need to get done, etc... Please shorten the time commitment to participate in battles. 

1. Remove tiles they literally serve no purpose besides making things worse.

I am not sold on removing tiles. They help with organizing the map for management from the staff perspective. We basically did not have tiles two maps ago and every nation was just limited to city state roleplay. That sucked much worse then Almaris dystopian roleplay. When I joined WT back then we ended up removing 100 charters (remember that word?) that were not registered a single player entering the region over about a month period. There were like 10 active nations and not a single active charter despite the plugin being automated. 

1. Remove most nation/settlement perks and just make them purchasable etc. This dumbfuckery that you can't get a green pillar because you have 50 too few EU4 bird mana or whatever is just ridiculous. 

I agree pillars should just be purchasable. What other perks do they really have? Subforums?

1. Freebuild anywhere that ppl don't pay up (mina-wise ofc!) to region.

I do not support freebuild everywhere but a freebuild area would be fine. If you want freebuild you should apply to staff so you can aid in cleaning that shit up. It is somewhat disingenuous to suggest such if you have never contributed time or effort to policing or repairing freebuild areas.

1. A general abandonment of the idea that new player retention is fostered by babying them rather than by giving them agency (freebuild, overworld resource gathering, etc. are very much connected here!)

I agree with your sentiments here. Outlets for new player creativity is great. They will eventually migrate to established player groups if they are allowed to fail/succeed on their own in the wilds. I build a house in Aegis in the wild and then figured out no one roleplays there and ended up living in cities.

1. Related to the above: streamline the application process. One important example, instead of just telling them to "read duh lore stupid" and directing them to our thousands of pages of mostly out-of-date lore, we should just have a thread for each race describing the basics (the Four Brothers, the original racial nations, major religions, etc.) and just ask the applicants questions that are clearly answered in the thread for the race they're applying as. Or smth like that. In Aegis we just had to know who the Four Brothers were and we could wave away our characters' ignorance by saying "ahyes but you see I come from a distant land". These days noobs have to pretend they came from the capital of Haense and then log in unable to actually find their "home". What purpose does that serve?

I like that characters have to be rooted in the current nations and server lore. We as a server can do a better job handing them the info they need that is readable and digestible to prepare them. It would be even better if that was somehow integrated into in game mechanics during mechanical character creation. Think M&B.

1. Mass rule wipes. Some rules can just be deleted or merged, others trivially made obsolete (instead of banning players for jumping 3+ blocks on a horse... just limit horses to 3 block jump height???), and any and all rules related to RP magic and combat can be deleted too while you're at it.

Mechanical solution to rules is preferable to text rules. You should apply to mod team to have influence over these changes.

1.  Related to the above, mass rollback of Region Owner rights. Just one example: crazy that these ppl can ban "vehicles" (read: boats) in their regions purely to prevent ppl sailing away to safety on their streams n rivers.

Banning placing boats is pretty cringe. What other rights are Region Owner's abusing?

1. Oh and stop having half the map be literal OOC demilitarised zones. The whole point of this server is to "deal with it in RP stupid", but then you actually log in and everywhere you go you get a message like "*THIS IS A HUB. YOU WILL BE PERMA-BANNED IF YOU SWEAR HERE))". You're mid-PVP chasing some guy and suddenly it's all like "Papieren, bitte!" because you accidentally crossed into the OOC international zone that takes up half the map. I heard the CT is being moved off map. Good move if so! Never let anyone return without dying please.

I do not feel most of the map is a demilitarized zone. You have to have some sort of protection around hubs/portals/CT or people will just camp there to bully people. It is hard for moderators to crack down on horrible villainy roleplay quickly due to how much the community screams when someone is banned for being an ass. 

All in all, you have a lot of good suggestions. My one suggestion is that you should apply to staff to influence these things if you are passionate about changing them. My experience is that one can do a lot more good for the server pushing energy into nations/player groups on the server rather then staff. I am sticking to being creative and helping friends instead of focusing on appealing to the playerbase at large. However I think you would gain from seeing things from the other side to better understand why things seem broken. 

19 hours ago, ReveredOwl said:

like, a plugin that allows you to harvest mc heads that gives you a textured (with a resource pack) food item that represents the crop, like cabbages, which can then be used to perhaps add saturation or custom food crafting recipes instead of just the generic minecraft carrot and wheat farms

+1 that would be amazing to have

4 hours ago, VonAulus said:

How would you propose this be set up exactly? I liked the change from mine-world to node mining this map. The mine-world was anti-rp and node mines could cause conflict. They never really were implemented to a point that it mattered to control mines which is probably a good thing.

I dig into a mountain and mine myself some iron. Like in singleplayer. So long as mine entrances are kept pretty it won't make the world ugly, and it adds actual value to land (the more land I control -> the more potential resources I have access to). Alternatively, if that's not feasible (maybe it hurts performance? idk), you could limit this to regenerating Aegis-style mine areas that you could buy from the staff or something. Kinda like resource pits except much more RP-friendly because they'd look and feel like real mines and be scattered around the map where people place them, rather than weird OOC quarries at CT.

1. More armour tiers. Swap iron with chainmail and make have actual iron armor be made from iron blocks or smth, and then add diamond on top of that.

I don't hate this idea. I think one way that could be good is not to increase performance but increase durability. Also, stone tools should be infinite tools. They should not break. Why do I need an inventory of tools blocking collection of fields. Either that or bring back purchasable golden tools. That was a good minas sink. 

Yeah, I'm not about creating OP gear to turn nolifers into PVP gods and banes of town guards, but just some more ways to spend your money and add a bit of diversity.

1. Remove tiles they literally serve no purpose besides making things worse.

I am not sold on removing tiles. They help with organizing the map for management from the staff perspective. We basically did not have tiles two maps ago and every nation was just limited to city state roleplay. That sucked much worse then Almaris dystopian roleplay. When I joined WT back then we ended up removing 100 charters (remember that word?) that were not registered a single player entering the region over about a month period. There were like 10 active nations and not a single active charter despite the plugin being automated. 

Nations were just city states because that was a literal rule. Nations weren't allowed to buy regions outside their capitals, or build in freebuild. I'm not proposing we bring back that ridiculous rule.

And it's not true that only the nations were active. Belvitz and Curon are 2 examples of active freebuild locations just off the top of my head. Two of the most active places on the map, in fact. idk what the difference between a freebuild build and a charter is, but it's the former I care about.

1. Remove most nation/settlement perks and just make them purchasable etc. This dumbfuckery that you can't get a green pillar because you have 50 too few EU4 bird mana or whatever is just ridiculous. 

I agree pillars should just be purchasable. What other perks do they really have? Subforums?

Ability to purchase tiles (although I'd replace tiles w/ regions as I said), declare war, that sort of thing. idk there's a buncmore but it's hard to think of off the top of my head, but a LOT of LOTC rules and systems implicitly rely on nationhood nowadays, because the staff's answer to everything is "have the NL dude it/let the NL decide".

Soulstones def the most important one though, and there's really no reason to limit it so strictly IMO.

1. Freebuild anywhere that ppl don't pay up (mina-wise ofc!) to region.

I do not support freebuild everywhere but a freebuild area would be fine. If you want freebuild you should apply to staff so you can aid in cleaning that shit up. It is somewhat disingenuous to suggest such if you have never contributed time or effort to policing or repairing freebuild areas.

This is a weird argument. Don't LARP for a second that you'd have accepted a World Team app off me if I sent in one. I don't think the WT even recruited ppl who solely served as grief-janitors anyway; you had to show builds and stuff. Not sure on that second one, but we both #1 is true.

I do clean shit I see sometimes though and I've played like 4 freebuild maps and the benefits always outweighed the negatives. We only had a WT for one of those anyway. Also, I don't get why someone who ran a place like Belvitz would be against freebuild anywhere out of remote "wilds" areas. The biggest advantage of freebuild is that settlements form where they naturally would, creating hyper-active places on important roads like Belvitz, Kramoroe, etc. You don't get that in region maps. Everywhere has to be off the road (although they made one exception with that ranger fort in Oren, dunno what that was about).

1. A general abandonment of the idea that new player retention is fostered by babying them rather than by giving them agency (freebuild, overworld resource gathering, etc. are very much connected here!)

I agree with your sentiments here. Outlets for new player creativity is great. They will eventually migrate to established player groups if they are allowed to fail/succeed on their own in the wilds. I build a house in Aegis in the wild and then figured out no one roleplays there and ended up living in cities.

Same with like Hyspia. They had the freedom to create their own identity in the Wilds and then eventually integrated into the main part of the server. It's Minecraft - a noob's first instinct is to go off, get some iron and build a hut. The only difference between a noob on a survival server and a noob here is that the latter wants to call himself baron of that hut.

It also just gives them something to do if other players aren't online or they haven't found a community they like yet.

I like that characters have to be rooted in the current nations and server lore. We as a server can do a better job handing them the info they need that is readable and digestible to prepare them. It would be even better if that was somehow integrated into in game mechanics during mechanical character creation. Think M&B.

I don't really think it works. They write an app saying they're from Johannesburg, get denied and told Jburg was actually 300 years ago, edit the app to say they're from Vienne, and then log on as a born-and-breed Viennian who... has no idea where the city is, what an "Aaun" is, or any of that. So being able to name it in his app didn't really help him. Meanwhile he doesn't have a clue about basic, unchanging parts of human lore like who Horen is. 

I do not feel most of the map is a demilitarized zone. You have to have some sort of protection around dhubs/portals/CT or people will just camp there to bully people. It is hard for moderators to crack down on horrible villainy roleplay quickly due to how much the community screams when someone is banned for being an ass. 

They're just weird OOC zones and it's weird and annoying to be spammed with OOC messages constantly. And they take up at least 5 large tiles (CT might be multiple tiles not sure) in prime parts of the map, and create really awkward gaps between nations. Need to just get rid of hubs entirely, and CT needs to be as small as possible. idk why this server always has such massive CTs when all anyone ever wants to do there is LEAVE anyway.

17 hours ago, Borin said:

teach me the history of tiles from the inception to now monkeypoacher

genuinely don't know how this idea was conceived - but I think it just got too confusing to keep track of the territorial changes in the big coalition war and the map transition between vailor and axios (when there were like a dozen more nations than there were at the start of the previous map) so some admin came up with the idea of superimposing these tiles on the map to make it easier to refer to/keep track of who owns what

no one really thought of how this system would incorporate ppl starting new settlements at the time, because the consensus was there were already too many. so for instance tiles have never been subdivided into smaller regions that could be realistically claimed by a small group of players for a charter/settlement/lair/whatever.

the map immediately after axios was freebuild, and generally speaking people weren't allowed to claim land without nation status, so it wasn't a problem. but when the staff decided to do a reactionary 180º turn and gatekeep placing blocks behind an application again, they resurrected the tile system - still without thinking of how it would mesh with their plans to have "charters" which could be claimed with 5000 mina and ten human souls.

instead you had an awkward system where nations owned tiles and charters owned plots of land but maybe you could upgrade your plot of land to a tile if you got nation status which would happen if you got 30% activity and made an application and asked telanir nicely on a tuesday. afaik only one charter ever became a nation. 

because it was so ridiculously difficult to progress as an independent group - people would join charters, get bored of what little they could do with limited space and resources, and move on to the next thing, populating the map with all sorts of funny ghost towns. there was a huge forum war over removing these based on activity checks that were never on time or accurate. bloodbath

so to avoid having to lose face failing to implement activity checks again, the staff going into this map really didn't want people to make new settlements, I mean really didn't - you're ugly, you're disgusting, pay us 10,000. show us 30 players who want to rp with you, submit your lore to the lore team for totally irrelevant review and feedback. AND STILL settlements are in an awkward gray zone where they don't officially get to participate in wars or have clean borders. 

as you can tell the history of tiles is a history of the staff trying and failing to put elaborate abstractions on top of roleplay to make it easier for them to moderate, and forcing people to play an elaborate zero-sum game just to build a cute little town or a guild hall. we would be better off without abstractions like tiles, nation status, activity checks, etc. - roleplay gives us a tremendous ability to simulate things like warfare and national politics without heavy-handed staff intervention. 

On 2/28/2023 at 4:15 PM, ReveredOwl said:

Realistic terrain and usable mc head farms!

I'd be happy with just some custom food recipes added in.

Give me my cannolis back...

17 minutes ago, NotEvilAtAll said:

Give me my cannolis back...

Shit man, forgor that cannolis use to be a craftable item, better times.

On 2/28/2023 at 2:59 PM, argonian said:

8. A general abandonment of the idea that new player retention is fostered by babying them rather than by giving them agency (freebuild, overworld resource gathering, etc. are very much connected here!)

If this is the approach they've taken since I was last around, it would explain so much. This is so backwards, it's borderline comedic.