The Rhun

mateolog

The Rhun

-Baldin “Ironside” Frostbeard

Throughout the years in which I have led clergies, the question of the philosophy of the Rhun arosemultiple times. While teaching individuals is a duty of any religious figure, it is also important for the knowledge to be recorded and  be open to anyone that wishes to learn, as per the teachings of Ogradhad. Here below lies my knowledge of the dwarven Rhun.I was raised under this philosophy by my stepfather when I was but a beardling and I adapted it to my religious practice every step of the way for centuries. I am aware that some individuals claim the name of Rhun for themselves and claim to be able to discern the truest meaning of the Rhun. This mindset is the antithesis of the Rhun philosophy itself. If you disagree, feel free to write a contestation. Knowledge evolves through discussion, and it is in this form that much of the wisdom and information laid below has been learned. 

However, I have been raised under the Rhun Philosophy and I have taught it to other dwarves, including the forest dwarves. Two eyes will always see more than one, and hence the belief one cannot be certain that their view is the absolute truth ‘tis but a delusion, something that I hope is clear once one is done reading this work.

Rhun as a Philosophy…

The original conceptualization of the Rhun was a Dwarven philosophy that believed the Rhun was an energy field that surrounds and penetrates all living things, giving them life force. The philosophy supports the Dwarven religion as it sees Yemekar, The Maker, as everything and as the essence that gives our world its being. In addition to that, the Rhun was also used as a theory for sources of energy for phenomena, such as Redstone, which requires a focal point to channel the power of the Rhun. Without a focal point, the dust doesn't have a high enough concentration of the Rhun to give it power on its own.

Baldinian Rhun…

When I took up the philosophy of the Rhun I was educated by my religious mentors in it. I learned the Rhun philosophy as it was, a philosophy of viewing the world. The Rhun was in essence the power that moved the planes of creation. And it was so I developed the idea further, the Rhun was Yemekar’s will. It was achieved when the Olkodran (Chaos), which would later become Yemekar’s Forge and the source of all magic, was overtaken by the Unn (Balance) of Yemekar’s original form that created itself to contain chaos achieving balance through creation. 

Yemekar contained the Olkodran within the forge through the act of creation. Since the power of Unn can only be directed and not destroyed, Yemekar used it to create existence, making the Rhun. The Olkodran was processed through Yemekar’s labor into creation, something that is still ongoing process.

Yemekar’s role is to ensure the forge’s power is balanced and controlled. because of this his ability to keep track of the Olkodran in parts of his creation from overflowing he made the different descendants, orcs, elves, humans, and the final prototype that ended up working the dwarves. The dwarves were to keep the Olkodran at bay, to ensure the Rhun is stable, and keeping Yemekar’s balance. Essentially, keeping the pipes of creation from bursting open and flooding exitance with chaos.

Dwarven divinatory practices were then incorporated into this system of belief. It is something dwarves have been doing since Yemekar created Urguan. Through dreams, meditation, mind-altering substances, and reflection the dwarves can perceive the potential direction of the Rhun and where Olkodran (chaos) might emerge to disturb the balance.

The Rhun of the Dverga eron da Kirkja Rhun…

When I arrived at the Cottonwood village, I met the Cottonwoods and saw them eventually become Hefrumm. Bjor’s Cottonwoods were taught the philosophy they incorporated it into their worldview. When the Blackroot clan was formed, the forest dwarf perspective of the Rhun started to be put into writing.

To the forest dwarves, the Rhun was the force of creation, and by looking at creation one could see the intent behind it and exist within it as sensibly as possible. In their world view, animals and plants allowed their community to thrive and so it must be the intention behind their creation was to collect and protect them. They understood the symbiotic role that all things in creation have with each other. When their seers were formed they started to use their traditional forest dwarf herbs to try and see the purpose of things but from a different perspective. Because it was necessary to have as many different perspectives on creation to see as much of the Rhun as possible.

The Seers of Hefrumm encouraged a culture of non-hierarchical practice to allow many perspectives to join, then they would gather and analyze their findings. By doing so the Seers of Hefrumm were able to “predict” events, which in reality is just a higher awareness of creation through observation, analysis, and peer review, achieved by seeing from different perspectives and respecting each other's perspectives, if they were coherent.

Norlian Rhun…

Here, the conceptualization of it is adequate in the sense that the Rhun remains a force that keeps creation together, and it is expandend upon, promoting the idea of  the Rhun being a fire that burns within the dwarven soul, inspiring passion for craftsmanship and creation. Something that is in line with previous conceptualizations and properly builds upon them.

In Norlian conceptualization, the dream of creation existed before time and light in the vast abyss of the Void, and that is what appears in the dwarves (as it appeared in Yemekar from previous conceptualizations). He connects this ability to use the Rhun with the unmatched capacity to create, and claims that such capacity is what defines a dwarf and makes them the chosen children of the Brathmordakin. In a sense, this does not inherently go againtt the original conceptualization. It limits it, but does not go against it, if one considers existing as an act of creation onto itself and the way dwarves exist is inherently to use the Rhun and keep the balance. However, if one chooses not to relateh the previous conceptualizations with Norlian Rhun, it is fine. Dwedmar can disagree on conceptualization that goes beyond the original tenants of the faith. But the Norlian Rhun has two basic pillars which are the same as the other conceptualizations just worded differently these are:

The concept that all activities of the dwarves must be dedicated to the purpose of honoring the Brathmordakin and combating Khorvad the Deceiver. Suggesting in his works that the Rhun is a divine inspiration that drives the dwarven people to create, work, and honor their traditions.

And the concept that the Norlian perspective where Yemekar himself is called the “The Father of the Rhun” is something true in all conceptualizations of the Rhun.

The issue with the Norlian perspective of the Rhun is not the conceptualization of the Rhun, but the use of the concept in practice. He took the concept, altered it, and made himself the Prophet of the Rhun, claiming in the process to be the only one to be able to see the “true” will of the Rhun. In essence, he used a concept that came before him and created a personality cult. A cult that then passed on to other followers of the Norlian Rhun. However, none of his followers added any elaboration to the concept. It remained stagnant because instead of seeking the Rhun his followers accepted the perception of the Rhun as one dwarf.

From demonizing the seers of Hefrumm for their attempts at understanding the Rhun from different viewpoints thanks to ancestral divinatory practices, to flat out claiming to own the knowledge of the Rhun, that is the process the career of my successor took in his religious work. While Norli’s general religious work has been decent in educating a fraction of the dwarven population, his practical stance on the Rhun fails to properly convey the Rhun, and continues to do so in the sense some dwarves still follow this view, he took a religious concept that is meant to open a mind to possibilities of Yemekar’s creation and attempted to turn it into a dogmatic concept where the perspective of one dwarf can dictate the true meaning behind creation.

Agnarumm Vikti Eron Azwyrtrumm

tRzpsV3HWI2tUNLretxdrRRLaJ_L5wECs9KU0ham_N0wTZYKDG3YCwsCaxsleL9oQVuRb_ZSYut1J5YQYktG8AJauEyZdzUrbXd_cX_lqD9leH35SjXZdbyAzWApB3GCegCE5wEAtIQpnqyg826xivo

A dwarfess of gold and a follower of the so called "Norlian Rhun" reads "Wow. Nevah t'ought Norli still led us even t'ough I saw him give Rhun Prophet to Durin! T'is could c'ange everytin'!" The dwarfess nods as she wonders if Bjor's statue will go missing this time considering the Forest Dwarves' LAST move on the Rhun.

1 hour ago, Cosmiverse said:

A dwarfess of gold and a follower of the so called "Norlian Rhun" reads "Wow. Nevah t'ought Norli still led us even t'ough I saw him give Rhun Prophet to Durin! T'is could c'ange everytin'!" The dwarfess nods as she wonders if Bjor's statue will go missing this time considering the Forest Dwarves' LAST move on the Rhun.

I think you missed who this post was written as lol. This was written by a mountain dwarf.

Garedyn would read over the papers. "I'm glad teh see more things regardin teh Rhun have been put enteh writing, reading through 'as given meh some inspiration regardin teh Rhun, et es such an emportant aspect of dwedmar society afterall, et does not belong teh aneh one group and erryone should study an aspect o' et.. I shall write my thoughts down as well." He departed from the halls of the World Maker's Temple, to conduct offerings to Yemekar and ponder on the Rhun. 

Edited by VerminHunter
added a line