[Your View] The Mina Economy

Llir

Do you think there should be a way other than voting to earn mina?  

367 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there should be a way other than voting to earn mina?

• Yes
    • No

Make more mina sinks that players can use to discard their mina, and make these systems actually profitable in roleplay/ooc practicality. You can give a lot of mina to buy 1 more character slot, etc. 

I am also ready for national currencies if minas get discarded.

image.png (385×412)

It's already Tuesday and I've not read all of the above posts. I think some crucial questions can be asked to re-shape the way money and the economy works. What do people want, and how realistic is it to get there?

Do you want tangible or intangible currency? Intangible currency will always remain something external. It's a commodity like edit tokens or crowns: They serve a purpose, but they're not really part of the RP world.

What purpose should the economy serve? If it's simply to macro-manage settlements, tiles, upgrades and the likes, then I think the intangible variant we have right now (aside from needing some work on draining coin) is just fine. Personally I doubt we'd want to limit the economy to a tool for Administration to manage the server, and I assume most people want a more interactive and RP-friendly system instead.

So, a tangible currency could partially bridge the gap. You could still have a mixed version, where money can be put in meta-banks so staff can get to it (for the sake of nations and the likes) while withdrawn money for players becomes tangible. You can have meta-banks, which can't be robbed, tax the money (like it does right now, I think?) which gives incentive to store it manually but puts it at risk of being robbed through genuine theft RP. 

The point I'm trying to make is that the options are endless, and suggestions should be based on what the players want, while also keeping it manageable and realistic. So... What do you want?

Do you want an easy way to grind coin, a way provided by staff (be it mining, mobs, voting)? Do you want people to simply go back to manual trade and bartering? Do you want to be able to buy stuff when the merchant is offline, or do you want to be able to get what you need whenever? Do you want die-hard RP or something in-between? Does your coin have to be safe, or should people be able to steal it? One currency, or multiple currencies? Do you want a full reform, or minor edits to the system?

The answers will greatly vary, and each aspect will have to be developed and thought out before implementation. Above all else I think we need a coherent system with a clear purpose, which then 'answers' all of these questions.

So, perhaps there should be a survey based on the most relevant questions?

3 hours ago, Xergarok said:

It's already Tuesday and I've not read all of the above posts. I think some crucial questions can be asked to re-shape the way money and the economy works. What do people want, and how realistic is it to get there?

Do you want tangible or intangible currency? Intangible currency will always remain something external. It's a commodity like edit tokens or crowns: They serve a purpose, but they're not really part of the RP world.

What purpose should the economy serve? If it's simply to macro-manage settlements, tiles, upgrades and the likes, then I think the intangible variant we have right now (aside from needing some work on draining coin) is just fine. Personally I doubt we'd want to limit the economy to a tool for Administration to manage the server, and I assume most people want a more interactive and RP-friendly system instead.

So, a tangible currency could partially bridge the gap. You could still have a mixed version, where money can be put in meta-banks so staff can get to it (for the sake of nations and the likes) while withdrawn money for players becomes tangible. You can have meta-banks, which can't be robbed, tax the money (like it does right now, I think?) which gives incentive to store it manually but puts it at risk of being robbed through genuine theft RP. 

The point I'm trying to make is that the options are endless, and suggestions should be based on what the players want, while also keeping it manageable and realistic. So... What do you want?

Do you want an easy way to grind coin, a way provided by staff (be it mining, mobs, voting)? Do you want people to simply go back to manual trade and bartering? Do you want to be able to buy stuff when the merchant is offline, or do you want to be able to get what you need whenever? Do you want die-hard RP or something in-between? Does your coin have to be safe, or should people be able to steal it? One currency, or multiple currencies? Do you want a full reform, or minor edits to the system?

The answers will greatly vary, and each aspect will have to be developed and thought out before implementation. Above all else I think we need a coherent system with a clear purpose, which then 'answers' all of these questions.

So, perhaps there should be a survey based on the most relevant questions?

Well said. I agree that a more thorough survey would be helpful. 

Some of this has already been said I think, but I think a good way of mina generation would be a mixture of the following means;

-Letting various nations/regions have unique resources so that nations can specialize and actually trade
-Reintroducing a sort of tradesmanship like you had way back in the day with... nexus? or vortex? cant remember, but the one where you could pick a class or a role, like carpenter or w/e. Doesn't need to be as fleshed out as that was, but something where you need someone who picked a certain trade to craft certain items.
-Bringing back the caravan system we had in Atlas. Not everybody liked doing that, but some people quite liked it as a means of making money and the trade caravans coming through did give off a very rp-friendly vibe imo. Plus it gives the pvp goons a nice source of roadside raiding rp?
-Maaaaybe reintroduce the cloud temple admin shop that will buy up certain resources so that people who struggle to make money by other means can just trade in some resources for a small amount of minas? Not sure on this though.
-Definitely reintroduce something like the npc monster hunting/bounty quest thing that I think we had a map or two ago. I think a lot of people quite liked that!

Whatever you may do, PLEASE limit the amount of minas that can be generated daily or weekly.

We don't want to have an inflated market.

On 3/11/2023 at 7:49 AM, Kaladin Stormblessed said:

Whatever you may do, PLEASE limit the amount of minas that can be generated daily or weekly.

We don't want to have an inflated market.

lots of goods are selling at 0.1 minas per.

either let us price things in shops at 0.01 minas intervals or purposefully inflate minas more so things can actually be priced better. Iron used to be 1-2 minas per, yet in Almaris iron can be bought for 0.3 or even 0.2 minas a piece!

I believe a message board of NPC distributive quest/task system would create new ways to make money along with a potential for a more interactive roleplaying experience. 

Each settlement already has message boards so this system could incorporate clicking on a sign to display a list of jobs posted automatically or by other players/organizations. Tasks could focus on collecting items, crafting objects, and transporting items to another settlement. 

If additional systems were implemented into LoTC I could see additional quest types being added, such as, defeating a local hoard of zombies, traveling to a cave to retrieve an artifact, joining a side of a war for upcoming battles, joining a guild, being hired as an employee for a business. If nations, guilds, and businesses could act as hardcoded entities upon the server, they could handle many of their public requests upon the server instead of on the forums. A system such as this could result in a seamless roleplaying experience for players where forum messaging wouldn't be needed for creating roleplaying interactions between in-game characters.

Allow mina to be bought with crowns on the store.

Edited by LongArmedPopbob

To quote myself in a reply I made for another thread, but distinctly fits to the topic.

Also made a new post:

Inflation.

Ores such as Gold, Diamonds, quartz, coal and iron are way too underpriced... it's unrealistic. Make them rarer in mines, so the prices rise naturally. Gold and diamonds are way too commercial...

Other natural resources should also be harder to come by, to spur trade between nations. Make some products available in some nations, and others more abundant in different nations. 

Edited by Tiggly
typo

7 hours ago, Tiggly said:

Inflation.

Ores such as Gold, Diamonds, quartz, coal and iron are way too underpriced... it's unrealistic. Make them rarer in mines, so the prices rise naturally. Gold and diamonds are way too commercial...

Other natural resources should also be harder to come by, to spur trade between nations. Make some products available in some nations, and others more abundant in different nations. 

God, I wish.

On 3/17/2023 at 8:41 PM, Lenaia said:

Allow mina to be bought with crowns on the store.

No God Please No