What to do about the Economy?

Danjahb29

The Pressing Questions of our time: to mina or not to mina?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should our currency be tangible or Intangible?

• Tangible (a stackable item that you carry)
    • Intangible (What we have now with Mina)
    • A Hybrid of some sort.
  2. 2. How should the economy play a roll in our day to day RP?

• RP is king, the economy should not interfere in RP.
    • RP is most important but the economy can add to it.
    • The economy adds depth to RP.
    • RP and the economy are inseparable. Without both it all falls apart.
  3. 3. Are Auto-shops beneficial to the server?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. Would you like to see Regional currency or a single currency?

• Regional
    • Single
  5. 5. How would you like to see players earn coin?

• Voting only. (the way we do it now is good)
    • Voting and other options.
    • Other options. Get rid of Voting.
  6. 6. What other options would you like to see regarding earning coin?

• Monster hunting
    • Quests
    • Player specific skills that other’s must pay for. (like farmer, Carpenter, Smith, ect.)
    • NPC trading
  7. 7. Would you like to see the economy scrapped and just let the players figure it out on their own?

• Yes
    • No

This is not a Staff post.

This post was inspired by @Xergarok and the post made regarding the staff poll about mina.

Edited by Danjahb29
credit for post.

Answers to these questions are a matter of perspective, there is no true solution as people will always dislike something. However I'd like to share my rationale.

Whether mina is intangible or tangible is honestly a coin flip for me, but I believe it will be extremely awkward to carry money around. I already have an inventory filled with items and building blocks all the time and i dump stuff randomly. Its a matter of player convenience to keep it intangible, since although it is an RP server its also a videogame so its important to have more QOL features even that allows players to focus on the RP they like than worry about inventory management or sorting stacks upon stacks of mina so they can buy a fancy perfume from a shop.

It is impossible to seperate the economy from RP, since everyone does transactions or uses mina, the nations run on it for their pastes and for their taxes. However I do acknowledge that to the average roleplayer, who only buys food and trinket rp items they like, the economy doesn't factor in much to them since they can get a 100 mina if they just vote everyday. Economy is a much bigger part of nation leadership RP, i believe without it there wouldn't be much stakes in failing to manage the economy of your nation. Even if it was a good idea to seperate RP and the economy i cannot fathom how it would happen.

Autoshops are beneficial, i'm not online 24/7 to shill my products. Many people enjoy standing at their counter selling stuff, others find it mind numbing. With AH gone, dont take away more things that allow players to make a living.

Regional currencies would be a big pain in the ass. It makes sense in roleplay, but as I mentioned in my first paragraph, I believe QOL and player convenience are very important as well to server enjoyability, just as much as quality RP. If every system that leads up to RP is tedious, then the server is not fun.

In sort of opposition to my earlier point, I dislike voting for mina. All though it is convenient to players, I think it to be more detrimental to player fun. For an anecdotal evidence, I started playing as a homeless dark elf. I wanted to to a rags to riches story by fishing and selling fish, however by the end of week one, i already had a lot of mina just from voting and could afford a large home if I wanted to. The RP justification for this was "asking the monks for alms." which doesn't make sense for my character. One may respond to this "why did you vote if its against your character's story to do so?" But voting is part of my server routine, and it doesn't help that useful things like edit tokens are locked away behind it. And it is free money, it makes more sense to just get free money than bother to grind through it all. Because in fact there are no other options to grind for mina. Hence i'd like to see all those mina making options implemented, with equal amount of beneficial money sinks of course.

I voted for the economy to be scrapped in the final question, generally because I believe the solutions that players come up with to be far more creative than the ones our beloved overseers can do.

To conclude, I hope it is evident in my rambling that the issue of player convenience and RP is not black and white, and sometimes one or the other is more beneficial for the server depending on the topic. I do believe reworking voting, adding more IRP ways to grind some money, and adding money sinks would be a good option. However I also share the concern that the server may become too MMO-y for a lack of a better term, should those things be the case.