THE BOOK OF NAUZICA

Frymark

THE BOOK OF NAUZICA

The Reformation of the Nauzica Brigade

wWDatr36Z3YJf9UbeR9phuVP5M_8ySDlRefzO-DvmUiYU8uh-iPv9Pz0cleVOCjpqIJJiufZpJzQjCJqmuUnBmdTZJgx0FS5Zxk4xKVB9pc2PyIo-SkLWahOJv32sxHyBzOeTPpfqkLk-pmyz3MhjbI

The Nauzican Standard, first used under the command of Charles Henry Horen, c. 1487.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

I. Preamble

II. Rise and fall of the Nauzica

III. Duties and Payment

IV. Enlistment

P R E A M B L E

Introduction

The Nauzica Brigade, once regarded as the penultimate authority on the security of the Emperor's past, has since seen a lengthy period of hibernation. The Brigade has been ever changing with complications of time, along with the exigencies of their patrons; this military corps is more charged in history than one would imagine from its present appearance, presently bearing remarkable similarities from its inception as an auxiliary force of the Horosid armies of Aeldin - a elite force as it once were in that faraway continent, all those years ago. 

The Brigade’s mission ultimately remains that which it was in the days of the Horen Empire. The protection of the Prince of Alstion and his immediate family, and the relentless pursuance of its primary and secondary objectives.

C H A P T E R  I

The Rise and Fall of the Nauzica

“True gold does not fear the test of fires.”

Thomas Wettlock upon his mount to the Nauzican John Montney, before the great flames of Seahelm.

T H E   R I S E

The Nauzica Brigade were formed in Agathor, Aeldin, in 1487 at the dispensation of Governor Benda Chivay in the Prefecture of Nauzica. Comprised of two-hundred archers, one-hundred men-at-arms, and two dozen demi-lancers, the Nauzica Brigade positioned themselves as a company-for-hire under the watchful eye of the young Prince of Alstion Charles Henry Horen, later known as the ‘Old-Pretender Polycarp’. After challenging the Emperor of Aeldin’s throne the Nauzica were roundly defeated at the Battle of Ronda in 1499. Its present-day sigil, fourteen skulls on a black field, remembers those fallen comrades in that uprising. 

The Brigade dwindled over the next thirty years to be a minor retinue in service of the Old-Pretender Polycarp, but was given a new lease on life after his son, John Frederick, reclaimed the throne of the Holy Orenian Empire in 1526. Under the command of Vulpes Roke, the Brigade asserted its place as the bodyguard of the Emperor. After Roke’s death, the Nauzica shuffled through a number of chiefs, but soon lost its relevance and was shelved at the tail-end of Emperor John’s reign. 

Despite attempts to reform the Empire at the Diet of Saltstone, the Empire fractured when in 1557 the island of Avar threw off their allegiance to John II. Its expansive standing army confronted the Empire’s levy system in a series of poor skirmishes. It was clear that the military needed change, and the Nauzica Brigade was once again revitalized and executed with great success at the Battle of Dogger Bay, where the promising Michael Sunfield, later captain, spearheaded an assault on enemy lines. A number of rebels were captured and executed, and a direct attack on Felsen averted. The Brigade earned distinction after again breaking through lines at Seahelm in 1559, where trapped Rurkid commanders put up a little resistance. The siege won, a frenzied looting broke out amongst the levy-army whilst the Nauzica were put under orders to set the city alight, which carried out ruthlessly. The 1559 sacking was a watershed moment for the Brigade, who were under intense scrutiny by the peers of the realm, and their victory was memorialized in tapestries at the palace in Johannesburg some years later.

D E C L I N E

The Brigades fortunes wavered and waned through the reign of John III, who coordinated its integration into the order of Alstion, and later in 1579 the Imperial Legion. This centralized form of command brought a series of quick victories to the Empire. On the eve of John’s death, the Empire made up the vast majority of the continent of Axios. But these reforms may have proven fatal. John III died by an assassin’s hand at the height of his power, and John IV after him died in similar fashion not one year after his father.

The succeeding reign of Philip I saw the Empire engulfed in civil war, and its collapse was not helped by the turning of the Nauzica’s 7th Captain, Philip Louis, to the rebel banners. Nevertheless, those loyal to the Brigade fought to the death, and were eventually decimated late in 1595 by Philip’s hand at the explosion of Johannesburg. With the Empire gone and the imperial line in disarray, any loyalist remnants dissipated into the mountains and swamps.

The Nauzican never reached the peak that they had enjoyed at Seahelm midway through the 16th century. The formation of the Sixth Empire was the nadir of Oren’s fortunes. Successive failings in leadership culminated in the abdication of Peter II, the loss in the War of the Beards, and the death of the child-Emperor John VI at the hands of Arpad of Vilacz in the 1638 coup d’etat of Adelburg. Alongside ending Johannian rule, the coup was the death-knell of an already crippled and exhausted Nauzica, with its number wiped out entirely.

Despite having a notable reformation in 1700 under the reign of Augustus I, Emperor of Man, the Nauzica, its military and cultural legacy, has remained dormant. Two years after Augustus’ abdication, the then Emperor Antonius disbanded the small guard in favor of the infamous Dragon Knights.

In his efforts to restore his claim upon the Holy Orenian Empire, the Nauzica Brigade was reformed under the command of the Count of Yves, Leopold Alstion - though they acted more as clandestine informants, rather than a dedicated armed force. Following the formation of the Aaunic Kingdom and the rise following crowning of a Alstion King, the Nauzica Brigade was restored first by Ser Ulrich von Reuss and later by Owyn Jrent back to its place as the personal retinue and most elite force of the King of Aaun.

NIk2dy_mdkgRhEAx6HW8NP6UHJAFWqm8iyDXroWoYebloVG9Es3mkx_uvPrBuObs2QRB6DoMPu8X-mtecXH0RFsxChs0MPeXR4xCtuy3GXVoiSL9b5iYq3KMRwsGs4xy4GK6N0ddwpxxEDgBObH72PQ

“Rosencrantz, where are my legions?!”

King Arn of Aesterwald ranting after his defeat at Milvian Bridge

B A T T L E S

The Nauzica has had countless engagements throughout the years. The vast majority of these are in the record of the internal archives of the Brigade, the most notable of which are listed here.

1487 — The Sack of Caer Mant

The inaugural major battle of the Nauzica Brigade, the Sack of Caer Mant was where the Hexer School of the Griffin’s uprising was quelled on behalf of Governor Benda Chivay. The stronghold of Caer Mant was devastated through siegeworks, with the Nauzican Brigade assuming the vanguard and thrashing the host of seditious Marked Men in a bloody assault. The legendary duel between Prince Charles and Hexer Hieronymus of Lex is recorded in the song The Half-Hand Hexer, recounting Charles’ feat in maiming the Hexer against considerable odds.

1499 — The Battle of Ronda

At the hamlet of Ronda, the Nauzican Brigade suffered an emasculating defeat at the hands of Emperor Audemar. Commanded by ver de Linde, the Brigade attempted to ford the Rond river at the stroke of dusk in an attempt of ambushing Audemar’s own camp and capturing the Aeldinic emperor. Their feint was uncovered by forward sentries, who promptly stirred the armies from their slumber and apprehended the Nauzican skirmishers in pitched conflict. The battle ended in gristly defeat as an entire contingent of the brigade were massacred.

1559 — The Sack of Seahelm

The Nauzica Brigade played an instrumental role in the swift victory at Seahelm. Captain Drevin de Sarkozy was charged with leading the imperial vanguard into the city. Nauzicans served with distinction as they decimated the enemy force in a fierce blitz, leaving only stragglers in their wake.

1860 — The Siege of Haverlock

Following the Coalition defeat upon the fields of Sedan, the Nauzica Brigade was hence trapped within the City of Haverlock during the Sinner’s War. Under command of Captain Maxim Attenlund, the Brigade organized and fought a dogged defensive of the city, but were nevertheless overwhelmed by numerical superiority and Blackvale engineering which saw their defenses aptly sapped. Despite this, the Nauzicans surrendered no arms and fought to the last within the City’s square, honored as glorious martyrs of the Brigade. Now returned to Alstion rule, the Hero-City of Haverlock has been forever immortalized as a heritage site of the restored Aaunic Kingdom.

C A P T A I N S  O F  T H E  N A U Z I C A

The captains of Nauzica are listed below, those esteemed men entrusted with the leadership of the prestigious brigade.

• 1st Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Charles Henry Horen, Prince of Alstion
  • 2nd Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Ser Vulpes Roke
  • 3rd Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Ser John Godfrey Horen, King of Vandoria
  • 4th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Ser Drevin de Sarkozy
  • 5th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Ser Michael Hightower
  • 6th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Ser Alexander Horen
  • 7th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Ser Edwyn Harwyn
  • 8th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Philip Louis Horen-Marna, Duke of Marna
  • 9th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Owein Aep Cynan
  • 10th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Ser Phillip Marshall
  • 11th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Ser Stefan Morovic
  • 12th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Maxim Attenlund
  • 13th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Leopold von Reuss, Margrave of Velen
  • 14th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Johann Barclay, Marshal of Aaun
  • 15th Captain of the Nauzica Brigade: Owyn Jrent

N O T A B L E   P A T R O N S 

The Nauzica Brigade has always been in service to a greater purpose, from its rise in Vailor following the Horen Restoration, to the modern restoration in Almaris. The overwhelming majority of these iterations have been under the personal command of the Holy Orenian Emperor.

• Charles Henry 'The Old-Pretender Polycarp' of the House of Horen-Alstion
  • Holy Orenian Emperor John Frederick 'The Relentless' of the House of Horen-Alstion
  • Holy Orenian Emperor John Owyn 'The Lion' of the House of Horen-Alstion
  • Holy Orenian Emperor Philip Frederick 'The Defiant' of the House of Horen-Alstion
  • Holy Orenian Emperor Peter Sigismuind 'The Troubadour' of the House of Horen-Alstion
  • Emperor of Man Augustus of the House of Horen-Pertinax
  • Holy Orenian Emperor Alexander Leopold of the House of de Joannes
  • Leopold Johannes Alstion, Count of Yves
  • Charles I of the House of Alstion, King of the United Kingdom of Aaun

“A handful of men, injured to war, proceed to certain victory, while on the contrary, numerous armies of raw and undisciplined troops are but multitudes of men dragged to the slaughter.”

Ser Vulpes Roke of the Nauzica, whilst educating a young Albert de Falstaff in the halls of Anpalais. 

As1Fw1cAd7e59UhxBgqQ_0zEuB-eHGcynfMwfMOajgD9WwJA6bBePvLQ6LotnT5oPsOWY_rI3anDPVJVqEw9OFloGvc5dM3LyBq8_UE873g0p4-7GPphwTtf_WoxFYj3wraIr_9fnrBlIkUuv1QOJ2w

The Black Dragon Banner of Aaun, c. 1897.

C H A P T E R  II

Duties and Payment

“If only… I had paid them more...”

Vibius de Sola while being killed by his mutineering soldiers

The Brigade is primarily a bodyguard to and personal retinue of the King of Aaun and his immediate family. Those enlisted should expect the privilege of guarding and serving the Royal House of Alstion, as well as fighting its campaigns and sharing in its victories. Even so, the Nauzica has returned to its roots as a limited mercenary task force. If approved by the Prince, the Captain of the Brigade may exchange money or goods for its services in combat. This helps fund the soldiers' lodgings, arms, and awards.

The Brigade will correspondingly house, feed, and arm all soldiers regardless of rank or social status, as well as maintain appropriate conditions according to blood and pedigree. Additionally, those who have served eight years are entitled to a supplementary parcel of land within the realm of the House Alstion. Brigadiers are offered a share of a contract’s reward upon completion, the amount at the discretion of the Captain and circumstances provided. Monetary payments are paid by the House Alstion.

j0o2PWRHPeO-BwKM8vSl_WBtu_O7mwIDk_eVSFWNwNFwTkjenOLxRgLE1aCmDQsv5Z8tiwoWtWC2gIYO7aTYNqpeddR1-gFQam5QWC3y6LsdMpJNGKORY3NO6A0MmRtqsO0jKu5-OVAp292LJWkVnFU 

“Do as you are told.”

Emperor John I to Ser Baldwin the Black after ruling for the death of Sergius de Bar

C H A P T E R  III

Enlistment

What once defined the Nauzica as a gentlemen’s corp, occupied by the fine aristocracy of the past, is now instead reduced to small retinue under the King of Aaun. Resultantly, the Brigade has gone through considerable structural changes, from the consolidation of ranks to drastic alterations of its core identity. Nevertheless, certain expectations of discipline and decorum are still expected to be maintained, as the Nauzica are primarily responsible for the protection of the King of Aaun.

The Brigade doesn’t have specified ranks, with all Nauzicans considered equal with the Captain as their leader. Along with this structure, there exists the honorary role of Gentlemen’s Corps, membership of which is granted by the Patron to the aristocracy of the realm and the most decorated Nauzicans. The Gentlemen’s corps is not expected to conduct the day-to-day duties of the Brigade, but exist as a honorary role whose purpose is the upkeep of Alstion honor and prestige within and outside of the Realm-

In order to be inducted into the Nauzica Brigade, one must be handpicked directly by the Captain of the Brigade. Inductees are chosen from across Almaris and generally must have some experience in warfare on record, be of above-average skill, having prowess with a blade and numerous other weapons.

Upon enlisting, the Nauzica must swear the oath as quoted:

“I swear to be true to our Patron, and not to maintain silence about any evil that I may know which is being contemplated against them. I swear that I will obey my commander and aid my fellow brothers. I swear to cast off any traitor be it friend or foe in honor of our Patron and Captain. I swear this before God and men. I bid farewell to my former life and grace my newest with my shield and blade; stalwart and ever vigilant for humanity. This oath I give of my own free and independent will.”

C H A P T E R  IV

NAUZICAN JURISDICTION

Authority over Peasantry, Guardsmen, and Nobility in the Crownlands:

• Nauzican authority extends over the reach of peasantry and guardsmen alike - regardless of their rank.
  • Nauzican authority extends over the reach of nobility albeit it is confined to arrests until the King of Aaun decrees otherwise - action may only be enforced upon a noble with a cause of suspected treason.

Authority over Peasantry, Guardsmen, and Nobility outside of the Crownlands:   

• Nauzican authority extends over the reach of peasantry and guardsmen alike only with the behest of the King of Aaun.
  • Nauzican authoritu extends over the reach of nobility should they be suspected of treason. Arrest if the maximum capacity of a Nauzican, and can onlu be achieved at the behest of the King of Aaun.

Spoiler

Credit to @Optimus420 for having written most of the post! x)

Yvian nodded with approval at the missive commenting "Ich gut to see a famed order return, may GOTT grant his grace in zeir endevours!" Afterwards he'd caress his beard as he then pondered a thought "What of the Caroleans?"