2 years already? [AMA]

CopOwl

It's been a long 2 years already - I've been on this server since March 7th 2021 which was a very different time.

I was really excited when my application got accepted - I'd been waiting at least 5 days and was bored out of my mind.

Two years on and a lot has happened - my longest running character just PKed, and I've done a lot since.

And I may or may not have forgotten/missed my 1-year anniversary last year, heheh.

*pulls up minecraft stats*

Hahaha - I've taken more damage than I've dealt - 11396 < 12421

Walked 678km

1,500 times quit game

Time played: 51.7 days

.... 4 player kills ..... versus 8 deaths.

But anyway - I wouldn't dream of answering questions on this day with an ounce of insincerity, let the AMA-ing commence!

Do you think there exists the possibility of aliens inhabiting one of the planets in our solar system? If so, which one, if not, why? Would you like to be an astronaut? If so, why, if not, why, if a little, why, if some, why, if not at all, why?

Just now, tcs_tonsils_ said:

Best moments?

Hmmmmmm...

I think I'll always have a soft spot for the many hours spent sat around - late into the night - with Gandhi, Raijen, Gus, you, etc. just chatting or doing some idle rp. 

Though I do love my girl squad - Pudding, Delta, Sarah, Yessie, Kls, Tea, etc etc. We've gotten up to some shenaniganery.

And there's a sense of nostalgia for older times of knighthood customs and slaying great monstrous creations in events run by Conor, Juli, or Limo. Obviously I haven't experienced a map change, but those were all super fun.

1 minute ago, DahStalker said:

How has LOTC impacted your life outside the community?

I think it's unfortunate to say that I worry a lot more now, hahaha. Running communities on LoTC as I've been doing for over a year now really takes it out of me though of course it's super rewarding as well. 

It's definitely taught me how to manage responsibility and what it means to work super hard on a project which I had no experience of before joining the server. It's also been really inspiring to me - reading certain forum works and emotes has helped me to actually refine some of my own essay-writing in real life for school and such (I had no clue wtf a ;semicolon; was for before this server).

So there's definitely good to the bad, but I'd say that it's helped me to improve my leadership and management skills which has been helpful in real life when organising real projects and such.

3 minutes ago, Frymark said:

Do you think there exists the possibility of aliens inhabiting one of the planets in our solar system? If so, which one, if not, why? Would you like to be an astronaut? If so, why, if not, why, if a little, why, if some, why, if not at all, why?

I might have read the War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells but I'm still not convinced on this whole extraterrestrial thing. They probably exist somewhere, but the chances of them being in our solar system or even our galaxy feels unlikely to me, so we'll probably never know. Would be cool though!

I don't think I have the calm attitude to be an astronaut lmao, I'd look out a window, see the Earth moving increasingly far away and lose my sh*t right there and then.

fav book? 

Just now, Gandhi said:

fav book? 

Oh, you've got me there ... !

So many to choose from, that's the problem.

In general, it's the book that I'm reading when you ask me lmao.

At the moment I'm reading the "Daughters of Eville" series by Chanda Hahn (twisting fairytales, basically) and that's been super good - right up my alley.

I'm also a big fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld - I've been making my way through the Guards series. To that end, I loved Good Omens (Pratchett and Neil Gaiman), so that's probably the best I can think of at the moment.

What do you think LoTC has done for you over the last two years? What was your best experience on LoTC and why? Do you think you would still join LoTC knowing what you do now, if you could go back in time?

On 3/8/2023 at 8:38 AM, DearConnorMurphy said:

Your favorite character?

Reveal hidden contents

Also I love an appreciate you so much <3

Easily Adele, she had such a wide breadth of things going on with her and I definitely enjoyed some of my most fun RP on her so far. Which is natural, given that obviously my RP has been developing and getting better, and I've been getting to know more people who I get along with and we all have a fun time together. So it makes sense, of course, but she's definitely my favourite. And she had a really satisfying arc as well - from young innocent girl searching for her mom and dealing with self doubt to a confident leader working so hard for her family to an old woman just trying to fix things in her last years as all of her friends and family fall around her. She was super duper fun to play, even to her last day, despite all of the stress that I was under during her lifetime.

Although I will always have a soft spot for my first Haense character; spunky independent Lynette.

Spoiler

also love you too boo <3<3<3

On 3/8/2023 at 10:56 AM, JuliusAakerlund said:

What do you think LoTC has done for you over the last two years? What was your best experience on LoTC and why? Do you think you would still join LoTC knowing what you do now, if you could go back in time?

I think that LoTC has taught me a lot about myself - I have learnt several of my strengths and weaknesses - and it helped me understand more about running projects, groups of people, and about how to motivate myself to work consistently on long-running projects through demotivation or fatigue. All of these are valuable skills and life experience that I'll take with me into the future. 

It's difficult to say what my best experience really was as all of LoTC has its ups and downs. I really enjoyed some Conor or Julius events back on Lynette - I think one of my favourite memories is that one time Squire Lynette decked a Rimetroll all by her lonesome out of sheer will. She had assistance from allies, and she was messed up after, but I (and she) felt proud of myself for that. And it was a really awesome event that seemed sort of spur-of-the-moment. 

Hmmm, it's difficult to say if I would still join. At the time when I joined LoTC, I was very lonely and I had just begun getting more into fantasy roleplay. I had already been roleplaying for several years, but nothing too broad other than chat RP and I was determined to do some Minecraft Roleplay. I had owned Minecraft for years, after all, so how foolish of me it was to have not combined these two passions of mine. It was the beginning of another year inside of Covid. It had been roughly a year since the full outbreak and I was approaching one calendar year of online school. Some of my friends had gone back to face-to-face, but I hadn't. In summary, I was feeling rather disconnected and bored with my life. I'm in a very different mindset these days -- I have lots of real life friends, and I've been going to face-to-face school and living in the UK for 1.5 years now. So I don't necessarily need LoTC like I did 2 years ago. If I went back in time to my mindset and circumstances from 2 years ago, I imagine I would still join LoTC -- even knowing everything about it that I do nowadays. But I really needed that something to spice up my life and bring me connection 2 years ago that I don't need necessarily anymore. Now, being on LoTC is a choice - whether that be because of the fun moments, or the many friends that I love spending time with or working with. If given the opportunity to join now, I imagine I would bypass the option and find something else to scratch my RP itch. 

That was rather long, but it felt necessary to explain my choices. During my time on LoTC thus far, I've felt much improved -- partly by its influence, partly by changing circumstances. But I don't think I could ever erase my memories of this place because of the friends and work that I've made along the way -- all things to be proud of.