The Minting of Balianese Florins

tadabug2000

ReS8vNH-zyubTo2QvAMd9GH_Bmkcvuj9wjNhXC0YYunF3r7MJ0HQbV2iWNVpA9BenFeKeMnxOeVk5T7Tj66N_RHR8Y6LOT7i3x1feOJ8JefxU6_Cq8ndV2Rh3ZBjJThBi9grsPFhrMPqjiaQaDEPZZ8

7sVTMDX1nT2jgHAhkqvsvmPPAkqsH8VKT1lzDsxbbXehtNiXX0THaTPsRUMTS8wyLIbLgy5NtpiPlhY5sJpK10h-lrR1apn5LgeXjKTxKZLVFW9PWC3liKYuDsh7zDHbwM0QpjNfarSyq9sUMd-StYjK4BzSY-TAy3HrpYQsA8wRlfxxM-p2SCWJfw

THE MINTING OF BALIANESE FLORINS 

Florins is the coin those within Atrus use most prominently, as referred to in the ‘Nomenclature in the Language of Balian’ written by Mariano Saturnino Ferraz, albeit briefly, it speaks as to, “How many florins for the woven carpet, Segnor?”, under Formal Forms of Address, section two Segnor and Segnora, example one.

This piece is meant to touch further on the Balianese currency and shine a light as to a bit of its history, what their appearance is based on and just what they are made of.

nqogzddyxC7anrfUtffBlDfOwIDXzDV7KA37v4Qpq9EfvxGutR8nIQ-TmphWqn1vZ5bH0VfH1VeaJcRWF0XZb-5vci50dipe6nnYxahZSA9_OLXZ7CE2IM4Dz_72SucwfAft7E2vC4OQwD7r_p3cyYM

A depiction of the Balianese Florins is here for perusal, the backs engraved with the star of St. Lothar.

Keeping in mind that of the depiction above, each Florin has a different value and meaning to it alike. The gold Florin is worth 20 minas for the common term used amongst Almaris, though with its value, it too, holds a valuable meaning. As with the tradition made, the golden Florin hosts the face of Balians first Monarch, John I.

ZDoio1WfRJ6ls2cOIzVtNvN9fPQ2trqo1bNL2Ho2BwZw4aOrqS9v1JRj1IHljFV_OpXX4T-rVpdlDl4qVfOhneb8dh-IfL18ij5wmSCJg18spwyaMx01G-0bi6IU8_b3WXjAmVsltT6fAaGFiUYq23E2Lmn-6G35UZ3q2KzT52fsCzYR4awm1AY9TgGEKp6wfDUvh3k1Db1piyqIHgNW0PFUJ5I0Y-u1DwDNLQMwesSVheoZhz-BKWi_TL5O2qpBFs8epQkOxKvoug12dYbuoEs-vQxlxWc2G06eBzKiO1nvI8

A depiction of the golden Florins front-face, John I engraved prominently upon it.

The golden Florin is reserved respectfully for that of the prior Monarch before that of the current one. In this instance, it is John I, followed by the current Monarch, Alexander I upon the silver Florin.

The golden Florin is a majority gold as is the namesake, the exact percentages known only to the Procurators Office who mints the coin, with a percentage of Qalashi steel bringing it all to weigh all of one ounce, and only 1.2 inches in diameter.  

jUTNaUlyfK1B8Mt1TKyeHYbm5TXxvvM1tsh3qOupVDqgFkgFDPiHvcTM4PwsZCBmKfoBWHPHl3Ndw2k2Kwc9hcEOrySSmCzZWN0E3rSrPiBRMKnw85ZdaPXtvrNuZnGb2HjjoMnsBCxFIl1eJCBw42I

A depiction of Kadarsi ore before being forged with other elements so as to make Qalashi steel.

Pp8dNMSwdxyA5dn4QZG_q-zVqndS16FYB_5d-CGzdLGd6ONUbZQGBwVT9qYsOueSTWjKoq5OnZlQdc61PftlprLjXnnQ4wb2KMORzw1Wceu_sD-0GSTPVxAtBtqmUcIDtfsXmZh5qGp1vtdTAiLZwNQ oQG9vA7ni2kGU76jeo1VB05kLFItjZwqUOvS9mHi4zVcNg18CpqX9szV40qDtnPQwbZa4Aw7ZiI1pdmUa51fw_gMKPKDZH0cu4hzTJG9D1yAnHUTqy3_tdazjN_6OG_ROW44w3P_i3LjLgF9RQHQwXM

A depiction of the silver Florins front-face, Alexander I engraved prominently upon it.

The silver Florin is reserved respectfully for that of the current Monarch before that of their heir. In this instance, it is Alexander I, followed by his heir, Crown Prince Hadrian upon the copper Florin.

The silver Florin is a percentage of silver, Qalashi steel and iron known only to the Procurators Office that mints the coin, bringing it all to weigh all of one ounce, and only 1.2 inches in diameter.  

_y9aj6DNMRUjsypf25CZB6Ukt9fpwy_8OQCqDKW0q0URlBiFLLpE5sUr40Msk7PwwiDlHNvU_4-8yMwKnTAbZh9t3_lh21xGVbhZdlMvb4c6tByVdheS-nOwTWIs72wno2GQKvhTszDNPWpexgxxX5I4FgWUsR8XFoN--j5VpolXvkWE1cJZaU1JDpxj2l7bIdl0Wx5G4OIkjdIpDYg-xexvxLgLhcpgW-XSuDcZYqhOLSneTNj49e-X4gnrcT707pGh0bTriBL-jZGZb5zFc4Q-GIABkcbCEgntyGu8sFo0eM

A depiction of the copper Florins front-face, Crown Prince Hadrian engraved prominently upon it.

The copper Florin is reserved respectfully for that of the heir of the current Monarch. In this instance, it is Crown Prince Hadrian upon the copper Florin.

The copper Florin is a percentage of copper, nickel alloy and Qalashi steel known only to the Procurators Office that mints the coin, bringing it all to weigh all of one ounce, and only 1.2 inches in diameter.  

The last of the three to be had at any given time, it is when the heir to the previous Monarch goes on to be coronated, that an entire new set is minted. In this case, the golden Florin of John I will be retired from use and Alexander I will take up the mantle upon the golden Florin, with the now Hadrian I upon the silver and his newly name heir upon the copper Florin. And so it will continue in perpetuity. 

7sVTMDX1nT2jgHAhkqvsvmPPAkqsH8VKT1lzDsxbbXehtNiXX0THaTPsRUMTS8wyLIbLgy5NtpiPlhY5sJpK10h-lrR1apn5LgeXjKTxKZLVFW9PWC3liKYuDsh7zDHbwM0QpjNfarSyq9sUMd-StYjK4BzSY-TAy3HrpYQsA8wRlfxxM-p2SCWJfw

Signed,

Her Excellency, Johanne Alstromeria Vuiller, Lady Procurator of the Kingdom of Balian.

toYxQcAIuDNFhd9HtcOZjbPM1AowbQCpe5EywrHXjw9EWuXV8w84aejEShhe_PGqfzyqO-CRMbLpUCKIEzf1yynWwliki2bzHNRFB2iNMQtfHbylDeiqFF73UEdhkkjC32-VaTBgi3Pyi7w5FQBhDkg

Spoiler

References used

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/151970-%E2%9C%93-kadarsi-ore-qalashi-steel-idea-updated/?tab=comments#comment-1435277

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/216675-nomenclature-in-the-language-of-balian/?tab=comments#comment-1936721

I made the coins myself - The faces of the Monarchs in particular on the coins are made by @SapphirePool, so big props to her!

Inspiration to make this post was gotten after seeing Minitz do the roll of arms for COAs and the like, so kudos to them!

Baron Gaius var Ruthern counts the Florins he made today after a successful day of serving patrons in his bakery. He wonders what kind of gift he should get for his wife with the newly earned Florins.   

Persephone smiled as she looked upon the faces of her kin now engraved upon precious metals. “It’s a bit weird always having my pater, brother and nephew in my coin purse” she mused, humor in her voice.