[PK] Kargârn, the nomad

Acostrob

953ca82f228d461bf64ba011dbf595d9.jpeg?re

It was somewhere in the snowy tundras of the North that the Dwed met his end.

It was cold. A day of endless wandering as any other, the Dark Dwarf having lost all he held dear when the nation of Vistulia fell and his friends perished.

He merely wandered since then. Devoid of purpose and hope. 

Nothing accompanied him but the cold sounds of metal from the weapons at his belt and the crunch of the snow below those worn leather boots of his. For once, he enjoyed the solitude, the ability to make amends with his thoughts, for no man could possibly interrupt him here.

He took rest near a singular pine tree that stood, as solitary as he was. He began setting camp, as was his usual routine. Gather some scraps to set a fire with, set up the tent and boil water for tea.

“A long road awaits me.” He thought, “But where am I even going?”.

Crunch.

The sound of feet touching the ground rang through his ears like an explosion. He had looked around and no one was anywhere near him, yet it sounded mere feet away.

His head cocked instinctively towards the sound, and he was met with a frostbitten woman of bluish skin.

“Don’t scare me like that, lass.” His figure grew tense.

“You are far, far from home, Dwarf.” She noted.

“No such thing as home anymore.” He muttered in response, standing up from his momentary rest.

Within moments, the womans’ face was torn open, a giant, gushing wound and a hungry mouth at once. The creature charged towards him.

“WHAT THE ****!” He cried out, his weapons now grasped within those cold palms of his, ready to defend himself.

Stab. Twist.

The creature lunged onto him. An elongated, talon-like nail biting into the cold flesh of his collarbone and then twisting. His shortsword came digging into the female's waist.

No response.

Then, the warhammer fell upon her head.

THUNK!

Her skull vibrated, cracking from the impact, yet it only made the creature angrier.

Stab. Twist.

Another talon dug its way into his eye, those fiery embers quickly dimming out as another frantic blow came at the creature’s head.

THUNK! crunch. . .

The warhammer sunk in the snow as Kargârn contorted.

A terrible scream and a wet crack rang out through the frosted valley. Kargârn was no more. The creature feasted well that gloomy evening.

A lone mountain goat wandered the areas of Alisgrad and Urguan, a pack of letters strapped to its' back.

Spoiler

To my brothers and sisters in Urguan.

Although I did not spend many days with you, I would just wish you to know that you were always my kin and my devotion to you as family was absolute. My life had crashed when Vistulia fell and my heart was devoid of something that would allow me to continue. I... I loved you all.

Sincerely,

Kargârn, whereever I may be.

To those that yet live and remember the sunny, warm and salty days of the South.

If you are receiving this letter, it means that I, Kargârn Doomforged, closest friend and advisor to the Piast Casimir of the clan Vilchyc, have passed. I am afraid I have no words for you my former kinsmen, other than hope that you too miss our days together and your heart aches as mine did. I wish I could've met you all for a last tavern night before I passed.

I hope to see you soon.

With love,

Kargârn.

A stoic statue of esoteric stone would receive the news. "Hmmm... Long has it been since I saw Kargarn. Too little did I visit this location he seemed to love so much." it contemplated as it wandered through its own bleak and abandoned halls. "May we retrieve your soul from the terrors beyond. A worthwhile endeavour..."

Kargarn is welcomed by familiar faces at the long table of Dungrimm’s Hall.  “Narvak oz Dorkadrel.”  The gathered Doomforged would declare as their kin rejoiced with the rest of Urguan’s fallen heroes.