why do ST hate voidal magic?

_Sheylo_

23 minutes ago, squakhawk said:

its a meme sent in a few discords i took thirty seconds to find then circle in prntscr. lighten up bud. You don't even need to strawman that you have to be subjected to the terrible fate of being informed by reading any lore (which you then strawman again by saying its rewritten so often, sure, whatever you say - its not like I've managed lore for 3+ years). I also said specifically how harmful general, subjective, unhelpful misgivings are to any form of conducive roleplay. I know I really put the microscope on you in my post and broke down the play-by-play of what you said and what it amounts to, but you are entitled to your own opinions as much as I am to say they're worthless opinions grounded with zero experience or intent to do anything but whine. That's my opinion, you have your own, I just don't respect what you have to say because it's not helpful or representative of anything near the truth, unless maybe you're thinking from over half a decade ago. I'm just trying to give you feedback on what I think you can do to improve if you truly care, or if you just want to post on threads and get (you)s. 

you're inviting me to spend too much time looking for a treasure trove only to probably reply "i said that [time] ago hahaha", i'll pass.

I think things have been pretty good and they've shown, else I don't know how the **** things are doing so well throughout this time and we continue to learn and improve. Shit gets bad and has been, yes, but at least I've taken it under myself to right those wrongs and make something productive of it rather than forfeiting everything to what may or may not have worked forever ago. I appreciated our talk last week on discord because it brought up some stuff to Llir and the rest of mapdev and helped me construct some criticisms to how we're approaching things and how we should fix those, reminding ourselves of the goals we set before we figured out systems to achieve those goals. I'm not really talking about that though, nor was I before.

I'm just talking about over-generalizations made that provide nothingburgers of feedback (main character syndrome spookmen races, as if they do not exist or are given the chance to exacerbate elsewhere - "changing the lore so often that only sts ever bother to learn it because ic knowledge accrued becomes useless again a couple months later") - sure? It makes no sense and is just a lashout, again, to do an overgeneralization and cross your arms smugly on a thread that is just completely infactual. I'm sorry that one time four years ago when a shit admin shelved some lore and that affected your roleplay. But it doesn't need to dictate and rule how you continue to just be negative and unhelpful otherwise. I don't speak of this because I hate you or what you do, but that I love this server, and have no reason to hurt it or anyone on it. I want things to be better, I've made things so that they are better. Magic, feats, CAs, etc. are at more useage, availability, and fairness than they've ever been at any point ever before. People acknowledge that. And it's ridiculous of me to expect everyone to recognize that. But past simple ignorance and just being wrong with no intent to change that opinion is what irks me, and should irk you too if you really do want to see things improve and be better. 

an old adage says: "the more words you write the less mad you are"

meme_facts_-_2022-10-14T193458.242.jpg

i have the flu right now. so feel free to argue with james2k (who has power of attorney over me). i hope you get well soon squakhawk internet gamer

hi i write a void magic. i constantly get complaints about how life evo is the "most restrictive magic on the server" and i've come to the conclusion that most people just arn't very creative and blame that on lore rather than trying to think of new ideas themselves.

void magic is by far the most creative and freeform of all magics, with the ability to literally make your own spells (magnum opus) and pretty lax rules about freeform enchantment, as well as cross-compat between magics giving you fun and whacky abilities for pairing certain magics together. the sky's the limit, problem is most people want an escalator.

They don’t since prosthetics like Animii loose overclock abilities because “prosthetics shouldnt make it favorable to loose a limb” but telekinetic arms are an all around buff
+ Translo’s buff where you can teleport and attack in the same emote

Or I’m completely wrong, idk I’ve never had an rp reason to get into voidal magic 

STcels should spend their time writing my ratmen ca instead of doing shit events featuring ratmen as enemies

6 hours ago, argonian said:

the fact that lore changes too often for the average joe to give one singular shit needs only be proven by the fact that only the ST keep track of it. the lectors, a very based and incredibly fun group, nevertheless were only on top of it because almost all their lead players, and all their active players at least, were story team members

that lore in general changes too often for anyone to give a shit, you prove it yourself with your shitty comeback that no one besides me and charoodler will ever notice. enjoy reaching the rest of humanity with this b4 this current stance is retconned yet again. not that i understand why ur using a voidal magic thread as a weird attempt to flex on me, i've never fought against it once, but uh do what u want ig dude.

this simply isn't true though, it's an incorrect stereotype

if you don't read lore how can you tell when it changes

3 hours ago, Aehkaj said:

Translo’s buff where you can teleport and attack in the same emote

Hate the break the news to you... but this was always a thing. The buff came when it was given to Brisk Step, which has a cooldown, minor teleport always had this

1 hour ago, satinkira said:

this simply isn't true though, it's an incorrect stereotype

if you don't read lore how can you tell when it changes

the new topics section

51 minutes ago, argonian said:

the new topics section

image.png?width=2052&height=902

changes that are made are listed here sorta monthly - but people aren't obligated to keep up with them to do magic rp. barely anyone who rps magic or supernatural shit keeps up with all of the changes. not that they can't, but it's just that they aren't bothered. people can give a shit abt lore without keeping up with the changes

I fear I may be shadowboxing

20 hours ago, ronin_champloo said:

Because the majority of players are stuck in this section of the iceberg.

image.png

Regardless, seriously speaking from what I've witnessed and seen, it's not a problem of the ST hating voidal magic.. it's an issue with players themselves being unable to form their own proper opinions, and instead parroting what they've said again and again, like a circlejerk, and these reflect IRP. Concepts and thoughts that would drive a person mad are instantly believed by the Ben Shapiro, Alchemy-Guzzling and Philosophy-Snorting populace of LoTC so easily and quickly as a way to downplay, disparage and demean Voidal Mages ICly and OOCly. 

These same people will IRPly go to cities, talk about how the void is bad, and carry the same atmosphere as these guys, rather than relying on IRP experience to decide wherever or not something is bad/good.

image.png

Make your own opinions, read stuff and react accordingly to RP rather than looking toward forum posts and discord messages for your own beliefs. What you read OOCly shouldn't reflect what your character believes ICly.

LOL I gotta see the entire iceberg.

6 hours ago, satinkira said:

image.png?width=2052&height=902

changes that are made are listed here sorta monthly - but people aren't obligated to keep up with them to do magic rp. barely anyone who rps magic or supernatural shit keeps up with all of the changes. not that they can't, but it's just that they aren't bothered. people can give a shit abt lore without keeping up with the changes

I fear I may be shadowboxing

if not even mages can be fucked keeping up with magic lore, that's a problem innit

now imagine ur someone who only comes across a certain type of magic or CA once every several months, and it's a coin-toss whether half the reclines and counters will have been changed

lore shouldn't read like a league of legends balance patch

anyway pm me if u wanna continue this cuz I'm going way off topic here

voidal magic is dumb ******* evil sorcery bullshit and it's an irreparably shitty system of magic. literally the only way to fix voidal magic would be to remove it entirely and introduce manamagic

Voidal magic is literally the bread and butter of the ST. There are many other magics, that the ST dislike heavily no matter how many times it is re-written to be considered fair or nerfed into oblivion only to be shot down and/or shelved entirely.

ST Care more about voidal magic and druidism more than any other magic on LotC and they focus heavily on those 2 because they're the most prevalent, and that is fact. I dont know why you think the ST hate voidal magic...

But for anyone to say voidal magic is tough to get... well... you clearly havent attempted looking for it or getting it. Voidal magic is handed out like candy to basically any and everyone with little to no care, which has inevitably diluted the magic to be extremely boring and mundane to the average user who encounters it because nobody actually provides story telling or story building RP with it. Early on, when voidal mages actually were somewhat rare, the server loved to see them because it meant they had a 1 up in fights or that they were extremely good roleplayers who made cool trinkets with powers that could be used. Now, I can buy 20 of the same trinket from 10 different shops in 1 city alone. Voidal magic has taken a steep downswing in quality if you ask me. Otherwise, I think voidal magic is fine. Making magic accessible is fine and I am a firm believer in giving everybody a fair chance. But getting the magic to "just have a magic" or to craft items and sell items with your enchants on them, is as lame as it gets. Build some story, create RP posts, create guilds, do something other than "magic missile" rp. 

Void magic's fine. The players themselves just often deny any sort of important voidal events. Not to mention that void mages have a reputation even to this day of powergaming, violating redlines and being an absolute minmaxing blight upon actual RP.

Its the 'default' magic type. I play a void mage and even I can admit we are the problem, while taking active steps not to powergame myself and contribute to a healthy server narrative.

Man I'm ngl I didn't know you could do all of that cool stuff with void magic. I'm making a void mage next and I'm gunna go buck wild with it.