[Map Update | Preparing for Launch] - 9.0

squakhawk

35 minutes ago, ReveredOwl said:

question for @squakhawkthose big pointy mountains at 30 seconds, didn't we have them before on a previous map and they were completely useless and impossible to do anything with?

agreed^

in my personal opinion i don't like the really extreme elevation found throughout the video and i'm gonna predict that some builders will have a headache to deal with when the time comes to build housing or cities upon them.

the map looks beautiful otherwise. 

Two months to build while nations are still picking out where they are, all while there are several players who are in the middle of college. I am of course excited for this new map, as is everyone, but that is an insane deadline that is extremely unfair for builders. A good build takes about 3-5 months, and thats taking into consideration people have breaks from work and/or school. Two months leads to bad projects like Elvenesse's settlement rebuild (and I was the one responsible for doing the TERRAFORMING UNDER A WEEK AND GOT SICK). Elvenesse was a rushed project that only 1-3 builders from their actual build team actually worked on, and I was a late add in! That whole city is FUNCTIONALLY disorganized because it is a rushed and stressed project. 

If this was in June or July, it would be more understandable since it allows builders during college to spend their free time doing building.

But May is the literal month people are DOING EXAMS.

EXAMS

And lets not forget that nation leaders also have to lead their nations through the world ending events. With the time-span that people are given, nothing is going to look good unless you steal some map or buildings from some poor artist on E-Bay or something.

Edited by GammaRose

9 hours ago, Greehn said:

agreed^

in my personal opinion i don't like the really extreme elevation found throughout the video and i'm gonna predict that some builders will have a headache to deal with when the time comes to build housing or cities upon them.

I agree about extreme elevation. A nightmare to travel on or to build upon. But at this stage the scene is set. We're gonna just have to build Dwarven Minecart tunnels and the like.

Even regular non-Minecart tunnels will be vital.

I cant wait to Roleplay in this map and see what new lore will be implemented as we explore it. This is going to be very fun 

Genuinely amazing vid. This is my first world reset and I'm extremely excited to see the world when it drops!

28 minutes ago, GammaRose said:

Two months to build while nations are still picking out where they are, all while there are several players who are in the middle of college. I am of course excited for this new map, as is everyone, but that is an insane deadline that is extremely unfair for builders. A good build takes about 3-5 months, and thats taking into consideration people have breaks from work and/or school. Two months leads to bad projects like Elvenesse's settlement rebuild (and I was the one responsible for doing the TERRAFORMING UNDER A WEEK AND GOT SICK). Elvenesse was a rushed project that only 1-3 builders from their actual build team actually worked on, and I was a late add in! That whole city is FUNCTIONALLY disorganized because it is a rushed and stressed project. 

If this was in June or July, it would be more understandable since it allows builders during college to spend their free time doing building.

EXAMS

And lets not forget that nation leaders also have to lead their nations through the world ending events. With the time-span that people are given, nothing is going to look good unless you steal some map or buildings from some poor artist on E-Bay or something.

Just build tiny towns and start from there once it releases.

1 minute ago, Arafel said:

This, it'll also feel more natural than just everyone arriving to pre-built mega cities

3 minutes ago, Underscore___ said:

This, it'll also feel more natural than just everyone arriving to pre-built mega cities

This x2.

Pre-built mega cities will only hurt the map's reception if they cannot be largely populated within the first couple weeks, as the majority of their districts will become desolate, with the exception of their keeps and gate plazas.

Edited by Arafel

34 minutes ago, GammaRose said:

EXAMS

PRO TIP:

You don't have to build literally every possible home, public amenity, and event site for your city in the pre-build. People can still build stuff after the map has gone live. There will be nodes centralized in one location for easier building material access as well as (potentially) paid LC. You don't need to do massive terraforming projects. You don't need to make an insane 11/10 quality front page of PlanetMinecraft capitol building.

It is totally viable to start the map with just some starter homes, a tavern, a barracks, and some shops surrounded by walls and expand from there. It's better to be too small at the beginning and quickly expand to meet your housing needs than it is to be too large at map launch such that it's hard to find RP.

I get that we as LOTCers are very proud of our capital settlements and wish for them to be as perfect as possible as quickly as possible, but if doing so stresses you out then you're trying too hard and should scale back your plans a little.

They should make the prebuild period shorter actually

2e2d5d9b749cd0148c2de4c9c7c6bed5.jpg

Just now, JJosey said:

2e2d5d9b749cd0148c2de4c9c7c6bed5.jpg

We're ******* dying and im going to cry from being chokeholded

1 hour ago, ReveredOwl said:

question for @squakhawkthose big pointy mountains at 30 seconds, didn't we have them before on a previous map and they were completely useless and impossible to do anything with?

1 hour ago, Arafel said:

This. Didn't people explicitly request they downscale the landscale/terrain and stop drawing it like 2012 mega builds are still the hottest trend?

53 minutes ago, Greehn said:

agreed^

There's some decent elevation but elevation is fine. The only issue is whether it peaks at the top which 99% of the map doesn't. 

The one part at 30 seconds which may be "completely useless" got claimed by a nation to be their capital and maybe takes up less than 0.5% of the map. Lot's of mistakes from prior maps were thoroughly gone over as to not make them once again.

8 minutes ago, Arafel said:

4 minutes ago, Arafel said:

This x2.

Pre-built mega cities will only hurt the map's reception if they cannot be largely populated within the first couple weeks, as the majority of their districts will become desolate, with the exception of their keeps and gate plazas.

6 minutes ago, Underscore___ said:

From the perspective of a settlement leader, this is a bit unfeasible. These are communities that NEED a place to roleplay, and will NEED a place to settle without drastic changes every few days and loads of pesky moving around. Not the mention the influx of older players who make a return every new map. Having such a drastic time-crunch is borderline debilitating and will lead to only half-assed or half-finished cities (it will not be pretty). It's easy to say "Hey, just paste it, or build/expand it in once the map starts", but keep in mind that ASSUMING pastes are still an option next map, they still cost funds no one will have or be able to afford from the beginning. Lets say we just grind the materials and build things in by hand. With either of these options, it will at BEST take months to see it through. Why is this necessary? Rather spending time having fun and roleplaying, not to mention getting things together as made necessary by the beginning of the map, your playerbase would be spending it gathering materials; when they could very easily be given the opportunity to relax. Consider that all this building and all this work that is put forward is through the hard work of several people; volunteering their TIME into realizing all these things you suggest. 

I get the concept of immersion, and trying to stay true to realism. But sometimes that simply does more harm than good. Trust me, camp roleplay gets old real fast, and while nice in concept - it is incredibly inconvenient when put into practice.

Ayo @seannie build a village of ten houses, give none of your vassals land and have every member of Aaun fight each other to the death for a home