A rough-draft system for sealing letters

Lomiei

Forgive me if youve seen this before but I havent ever known it to be suggested.

How about a plugin or a mod that allows people to seal small letters?
Like you know how in movies and TV where people write on a tiny strip of paper and seal it with wax? The most important part about that concept is that once it dries, the wax serves as a 1 time tamper-seal; an indication that the letter hasnt been read before.

How would this improve rp?
Obviously, the assurance of opening a letter knowing that its contents have not been read yet is a very valuable thing, especially the higher in importance the conversation is. Unlike the possible metagaming that goes on when people are handed (irply closed/sealed) letters to hand-deliver... having the note be physically unreadable until it is opened ensures that tampered letters are aknowledged immediately, and are known to be compromised. If a letter is delivered in-tact with the seal unbroken, the recipient and the sender can be assured that the middle-messenger is a trustworthy and responsible agent.... or at least a patient one.

In addition, I can see many opportunities for small items and decorations that compliment rp. Like an artisan crafted seal press, engraved with varying coats of arms or other symbols, small golden nuggets with intricate descriptions that allow you to irply seal letters would add cool personalized emote to an otherwise boring process. Also, maybe some red (or any color) dye can be used for wax. This too would give people a reason to really do more rp in their offices. Many government officials and landlords have big studies and empty tables that are never used. But say, you needed ink and a gold nugget in order to create one of these secure messages, people have more reason to regularly check on the stationary supplies of their offices, and consistently use rooms that otherwise go ignored.

How would this be implemented or executed?
Honestly, I am not a coder or mod programmer so I dont know, but if any of you would like to give it a shot, perhaps it would be a fun project.

How would it work (theoretically)?
Basically, It would be like making a cake. Similar to how you take a bucket (non-consumed during craft) and some edible products (consumed during craft), combining them makes a cake that is at first in a state of wholeness with no pieces taken out. Then, when you right click, it changes to a cake with pieces taken out.

The seal thing would be similar, You might write a note (paper item), and then put that into your crafting square with the seal press (gold nugget item) and dye (any color). When you join all of those things, OR maybe have them in your hotbar and run a command like '/notes waxseal', it would take that written letter, and when hovered, over, it would give you the message "This letter is sealed. Type /notes breakseal to remove the seal and read the letter". (the player would recieve the sealed letter which is still just a paper item, and then the golden nugget back, but the dye/wax would be consumed during craft).
Some process like this or with the basic principles shown. Im aware the exact items may not be compatible with the feasible code, but the core concept of encrypting something in 1 place, and then having to perform an action to de-crypt it in another place is something I think is really cool and should at least try to be put into lotc.

Wax Seal Skeptics: Lomiei, dumbass, what about aviaries?
Lomiei: **** aviaries

Again, if this has been suggested and shot down before, feel free to ignore this. But I think itd be a nice lil thing.

-love, 
lomiei

having seals on letters would be a pretty cool idea, with special seals that only certain nobles or knights would have is also really interesting for RP

3 hours ago, Sarven said:

having seals on letters would be a pretty cool idea, with special seals that only certain nobles or knights would have is also really interesting for RP

oh for sure yea like there could maybe be something where, when a mouse hovers over the sealed letter and you get the "/notes breakseal" part, under it would be the (@username) of the person who sealed it, similar to how signed letters show the real and irp names.

This is a great idea. Very simple, but would give a reason to use couriers instead of Aviary, that is if schemers could be induced to plot in game rather than over discord

definitely a cool idea!!! could also help with metagame to a degree, since to read the letter you would need to break the seal and can't just screenshot the letter 

This is a good idea. Honestly IRP ways to send messages/information should be expanded just to get players off of discord and onto the server if they want to know what is happening.

4 hours ago, Lomiei said:

oh for sure yea like there could maybe be something where, when a mouse hovers over the sealed letter and you get the "/notes breakseal" part, under it would be the (@username) of the person who sealed it, similar to how signed letters show the real and irp names.

IF you make it like the /notes sign (insert text) then you can just add your own symbols actually be like the seal is signed with '❂' and that symbol itself is used by a certain organization or smth 

If we can also maybe do some way to forge signatures this would be a good wombo combo...

What an amazing Idea! I love it. I had actually just started a Courier service (it's not quite functional yet but soon!) and this would work perfectly in tandem with my company. I would like to see one of them in each major city and the pricing is low and most of it goes to the couriers so players can find jobs and make some mina. Your Idea also increases RP as you said. Yes you could send a bird but what better way to flex than have a hand delivered letter that is sealed with wax delivered by a courier in uniform? I hope this gets some traction and becomes a part of the server.

1 hour ago, Danjahb29 said:

What an amazing Idea! I love it. I had actually just started a Courier service (it's not quite functional yet but soon!) and this would work perfectly in tandem with my company. I would like to see one of them in each major city and the pricing is low and most of it goes to the couriers so players can find jobs and make some mina. Your Idea also increases RP as you said. Yes you could send a bird but what better way to flex than have a hand delivered letter that is sealed with wax delivered by a courier in uniform? I hope this gets some traction and becomes a part of the server.

we will be in contact, sir