It's So Quiet

Cheese

A little girl stood alone in a field, appearing no older than 12. The itchy grass and warmly colored wildflowers nearly reached her hips, and they blew idly in the breeze, synchronized with the child's short curls. The field was silent, so much so that the echo of one's thoughts may be loud enough to disrupt the scene. However, despite the warm evening sun kissing her skin, and the wind dancing around her to its own rhythm, the girl did not look happy. 

Even as dusk embraced the young girl and the breeze whispered its final goodnight, the child did not react. Leaving her to sulk, the sun slipped behind the horizon and let a divine audience of stars comfort the little one. Finally, after even the crickets fell into silence, the night cooed the girl into sharing her woes with the empty field. 

"I miss you," She whispered aloud. "I miss your stupid jokes that always made me smile. I miss the songs you would lull me to sleep with. I even miss how you scolded me whenever I made a mess of things." 

The only reply the petite child received was that of the clouds dissipating to reveal a shining moon. One that shone a cool light, in contrast to the sun's thermal caress. 

"I do not fear your darkness." The girl spoke up, daring to meet her gaze with the unearthly face of the moon "I only wish to hear her voice again." Another pause; giving the shadows enough time to swallow the single sob that would never reach another’s ears.

"Please… It's..- it's just so quiet..."

Spoiler

Hello friends! I wrote this little piece back a few months ago and submitted it to a Scholastic contest. There were over 2,000 submissions for my region, and I was one of 300 honorable mentions recognized for their writings. I was really proud of my work and wanted to share it all with you, so I hope you enjoy this little flash fiction <3

another pk post?

On 3/26/2023 at 8:19 AM, Ropceek said:

another pk post?

NO IT’S JUST A THING I WROTE 😭😭 U can’t get of juni that easily