A Letter to Adria

Nectorist

dfDVHaesmoWzkHGQrcRnLtYjJ2D4JbZcSpFnZ8BXZqDJDKfvzD_QWv7YqeqT3iV1NbRn5f70t9u_vqfBhGLGsMAvbQUlAuB_WaX4ilGfCAqgXhb0mTv29PLw_BaDRiudkR32m_-3HIJS1873BIODYBI

A sketch of the ruins of a forward fort built across from Velec, but later burned by Duke Heinrik’s armies, c. 1917

To the people of Adria and all the Canonists therein,

Fellow citizens and defenders, we are besieged by ten thousand or more soldiers of Aaun under the king. We have sustained hunger, bombardment, and pillage for months and have nary lost a man. The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the city is to be put to the sword if the walls are stormed. We answer their demands with cannon shot and sortie of our own- the flag of Adrian flies proudly from our keep. We shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you, in the name of liberty, of Dumacracy, and everything dear to the Adrian character, to march with my father on the morrow. The enemy is receiving reinforcements and will no doubt increase to twelve or fifteen thousand in seven or eight days. Our time to march out in force and engage the enemy is now, for any further delay will cause us to cease our opportunity to find victory. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain as long as possible and die like a soldier and son who never forgets what is due to his own honor and that of his country.

Victory or Death.

Viktor Sarkozic

PS: The Lord is on our side- When the enemy marched upon us we had hardly enough sets of arms and armor to supply a host of three thousand. We have since scavenged from cast iron pots and household jewelry enough steel to forge the equipment to fit a host of five times that size.

Viktor

Bevel Barrow says, "What a well-versed letter. Victory or Death! Also, I'm gay. With delight, with joy. Gay." 

Wilhelmina once more found herself reading one of those missives written by Viktor. It brought the faintest smile to her face on the eve before the armies would start marching. 

"But you're the ones who have put Vienne under siege." remarked Arold.