When does your right to roleplay on LOTC get permanently revoked? [TW]

MunaZaldrizoti

For the love of allah please just lock this thread, literally nothing constructive coming from this anymore. Literally just edgelords and young children who don’t understand how the world works incriminating themselves at this point, seek God.

41 minutes ago, Gridlock said:

If you actually think someone on a minecraft server is going to rape or murder you I do think that you need serious help.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/patricksmith/breck-bendar-ipcc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Breck_Bednar

These sorts of things happen, especially by people who are not right in the head. I'm sure there's a lot more unreported incidents of this sort of thing happening that aren't spread due to privacy laws, and it happens on more games than just Minecraft.

44 minutes ago, Gridlock said:

If you actually think someone on a minecraft server is going to rape or murder you I do think that you need serious help.

We have already removed people from this community for doing things to other members they have met IRL. Your naiveté doesn't mean they don't happen. 

If one were to look closely, one could asume that it is mostly goons who defend it

Thank you admin team, but also, it’s sad that you had to see a forum post go viral for you to correct your decision. If it hadn’t, then had you re-banned them?

Either way I’ll take this small moment to say something else, you still haven’t banned others despite having reports and a lot of proof over it. Do you think just because they’re not entirely active anymore that they should simply be free to go? Where in the hell is the justice for the other people who have gotten harassed or threatened or bullied that you KNOW of? It’s disheartening and also one of the reasons I do not play anymore, I don’t want to deal with any drama or threats because I know some idiotic person will come around and make me deal with it.

keep this thread open, let people continue to report themselves lmfao

2 hours ago, satinkira said:

yeah bro, kids these days getting traumatised over r*pe threats and death threats, so soft of them ngl. I remember the good old days in COD lobbies when people were exposed to that shit all the time and weren’t soft!! so much better

just saying that someone shouldn’t be traumatized does not change the fact they were. This isn’t some cod game where the next match you’ll be with a new set of players. It’s not a threat made by someone you’ve never interacted with or will never interact with again. Rape threats are so incredibly jarring to many many people. Those who think it’s ok to say that crap are the kind of people who say it themselves. 

5 minutes ago, SapphirePool said:

just saying that someone shouldn’t be traumatized does not change the fact they were. This isn’t some cod game where the next match you’ll be with a new set of players. It’s not a threat made by someone you’ve never interacted with or will never interact with again. Rape threats are so incredibly jarring to many many people. Those who think it’s ok to say that crap are the kind of people who say it themselves. 

I agree with you, I was being sarcastic about what gridlock had said

5 minutes ago, satinkira said:

I agree with you, I was being sarcastic about what gridlock had said

ah, text is hard to discern sarcasm from. Then I’ll redirect my reply to @Gridlockas well. If this many people think your take is crap, I think you should take that as a sign man.

3 minutes ago, UnBaed said:

keep this thread open, let people continue to report themselves lmfao

For real, just lets us compile a list of people to avoid 

22 hours ago, marimbamonk said:

I believe it's possible for someone like Charlemagne to change, while also suffering the consequences of their past actions.

We should prioritize the safety and comfortability of our members and anyone who has been victimized in the past, over allowing someone back on the server after such behavior because "they've changed." Great, you've changed. Move on with your life. Take your changed self and help people elsewhere; in another online community. You lost the privilege to be a member in this community the moment you took those actions.

A Minecraft server isn't real life; the language used, threats made, and their effects are real life. So what exactly are we prioritizing here by allowing him to come back? Those of you who still want to hang out with him can do so on your own time, in your own space. Not here, where the shadow of what was done will always linger.

For God's sake, this internet Minecraft server is a privilege, not a right. Keep him banned, and let's all move on as best we can.

Just my two cents, given what I was able to understand about this situation

I had to sift through the slew of posts to find this one which sums up a very adult and reasonable way of looking at this situation.

I think between the abhorrent messages, the "virtue signaling" on both sides, and the snide back-and-forths; we are all dancing around a rather heinous-sized elephant in the room:

Human beings exhibiting behaviors and typing messages that, if were voiced in the public (real life) square, would have you penalized, punched, and/or otherwise ostracized and punished in some manner.

I have found myself always reticent to share my true thoughts about inappropriate remarks and behaviors because, as an older player, I find a gulf between me and most other players. The anonymity of the internet has me, in my mental calculus, assuming that the other player I am interfacing with is most likely a young teenager and thus I am often a little more charitable about some of the remarks I come across in Discord. That being said, another part of me tugs at the idealized opportunity to try and "set the tone in the room" so to speak and try encouraging a more civil discourse and more mature way of interaction. At the level of running a Discord for players on the server, I've at least maintained that civil "tone in the room."

Set aside the debating over laws and how player actions correspond with said laws. Generally speaking, to maintain a civil culture, one should not articulate/type threats of rape, assault, etc. If you were to do this in your workplace, your home, or your school, there would at the very least, be some form of reprehension. The very casual and blase use of foul language, slurs, etc. has never sat well with me and I think the overall vitriol in this thread is indicative of a deflection from wanting to meditate on one's own behavior or, at the very least, behavior that they've seen and never raised their voices about within their own circles of friends. The imbecilic premise that this is the Internet, so do as the Internet does shouldn't be tolerated. Type as you would speak in your church, your school, your workplace. Civil formality is not a sign that you "take the game too seriously," it just indicates to the anonymous other person that you are a respectful human being.

1 hour ago, SapphirePool said:

ah, text is hard to discern sarcasm from. Then I’ll redirect my reply to @Gridlockas well. If this many people think your take is crap, I think you should take that as a sign man.

Brother just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I am someone who would threaten to rape anyone. Also, if you honestly think the mass is always right you haven't been paying attention in history class. Just because there's a bunch of people on this topic disagreeing with me doesn't make my point of view invalid. I can show you an entire discord server full of people who agreed with what I said. Your opinion is no more or less valid than mine is. It's rather interesting how folks like you always seem to want to shout down and demonize anyone with an opinion that doesn't align with yours.