[✗] Void Magic Lore - Electrical Evocation

DISCOLIQUID

if this passes, can i have my lightning axe back? i lost it when the magic got shelved

As a former lightning evo TA and MA holder, this is one of the better rewrites I've seen and I can see it potentially having a place on the server. Definitely something I'd be interested in getting back on my elf.

+1 

Electrifying

Crowd control is a massively powerful tool. Too powerful to have the magic itself based around it.

Moreover, none of the other magics are really written to have the spells upgrade with tiers.

I will say I'm generally unimpressed with the way voidal magic has worked on lotc. Its boring and largely seems to lack utility, making you far too vulnerable for my liking.

When I read this, this makes me think of what I'd like to see in magic because its really quite strong with very clear and obvious utility in a Breadth of ways. However, this is also a clear signal to me that this magic is just far too powerful.

Ontop of that the idea of 'zap' and 'stun' are really gimmicky in a way the other evos arent. 

It kind of needs bringing in line more with the style of the other current evos, or the other evos being re-written to be like the style this has. 

+1 just cus Disco wrote it (ik u write good shit after working with u and knowing u well enough)

Plus Raiden LARPing lets go!

mortal kombat legends scorpions revenge on Tumblr

1 minute ago, Frostdrop1 said:

Crowd control is a massively powerful tool. Too powerful to have the magic itself based around it.

However, this is also a clear ainlgnal to me that this magic is just far too powerful.

Ontop of that the idea of 'zap' and 'stun' are really gimmicky in a way the other evos arent. 

It kind of needs bringing in line more with the style of the other current evos, or the other evos being re-written to be like the style this has. 

This criticism was due. Crowd control is powerful; however, these offensives abilities have several proactive counters. Shields, namely. As well, the reason that the magic is based around crowd control rather than being a more even split of control versus damage is that a hybrid list would provide a single mage too many combat options under one spell list. I agree that CC is impactful, but I hope you can see a hybrid list being ultimately more powergameable.

I would also like to point out that while Zap and Stun are indeed gimmicksthey are gimmicks based around the logical Balance default system we play in. Fire evocation can blow your head off of your body. Air evocation can make you explode. If electrical evocation is overpowered, is it overpowered in the timing advantage it gives you to transition to another form of fighting while your opponent is delayed. So, the effects are mediated through an alchemical delay on your own potions, and a charge effect to prevent any one spell from becoming spammable. 

I agree the spell list might be overtuned, there are many juggling pieces & a few internal pieces of logic (the charge system) that other evocations don't have. I would like community help in removing the extraneous & overpowered elements of the spell list with accurate analysis.

Please see my comment on wanting critique to be passed through the LT guidelines. The suggestion that the piece be 'written again' or that 'all other magics be rewritten' ignores the spirit of balance default, which should ideally give us hooks to balance magic around. A major action, a movement, these are qualities of combat as it stands now, and good lore will interact directly with them.

On top of that, Zapped and Stunned both allow for proactive and reactive counterplay. A shield, but also choosing the proper use of ones limited major action can prevent you from dropping in the tempo of combat. Then, anyone Zapped or Stunned are immune for 3 turns. From every Ele Evo mage there, not just one. That means that combat redundancy or effect stacking "probably" won't happen. (No promises, I can only balance, not control the lore).

I appreciate your comment, I actually think a lot of people here saw Ele Evo & were happy to see a rewrite, but haven't engaged with my desire to understand what parts of the generation may need changing. Thanks for providing a general response, and if you'd like, please check out the LT guidelines linked at the base of my page to offer some more specific critique. 

Can’t wait to turn stalkers with elec

Evo into Generators 

14 hours ago, Jentos said:

how the **** do you realistically dodge let alone survive a bolt of lightning 

Does this affect CAs that can't feel?  If Darkstalker, Paleknight or other Undead was struck, would they be stunned given as they can't feel or?

1 hour ago, femurlord said:

Does this affect CAs that can't feel?  If Darkstalker, Paleknight or other Undead was struck, would they be stunned given as they can't feel or?

As I've written it, any CA that can be damaged by Voidal Magic in the first place can be disrupted by Zapped or Stunned, such as ghosts or Darkstalkers. I considered writing in at first that only living creatures could be affected, but I considered it too large of a nerf. I believe it might be logically inconsistent if Undead are electrified (they don't have muscles so yeah) but it would also be logically inconsistent if the entire magic had no effect on a swathe of CAs, whereas all of the other evocations do. If you have some suggestions for balancing, I'd be happy to hear them. I'm not sure of a middleground, given that there are indeed, some logical problems that should be tackled. 

Niceee.  Should add in an AOE spell like a conjured storm, but besides that its refreshing to just see this gem of a lore piece brought back into the submissions.

4 minutes ago, hotbox_monk said:

Niceee.  Should add in an AOE spell like a conjured storm, but besides that its refreshing to just see this gem of a lore piece brought back into the submissions.

I think it could use another singular powerful spell, but with the current write focusing on crowd control, I worried about a list with both punching power & control. If a balanced spell was suggested, or this was passed as is, the spell can be added later in an addition. It is only 7 spells, a little weak. That's just because the effects are potent though. At least, I think they are. 

43 minutes ago, DISCOLIQUID said:

As I've written it, any CA that can be damaged by Voidal Magic in the first place can be disrupted by Zapped or Stunned, such as ghosts or Darkstalkers. I considered writing in at first that only living creatures could be affected, but I considered it too large of a nerf. I believe it might be logically inconsistent if Undead are electrified (they don't have muscles so yeah) but it would also be logically inconsistent if the entire magic had no effect on a swathe of CAs, whereas all of the other evocations do. If you have some suggestions for balancing, I'd be happy to hear them. I'm not sure of a middleground, given that there are indeed, some logical problems that should be tackled. 

I mean, it's not just lightning but "Void-charged" space cancer entropy lightning, right? Makes sense that it would eat away or similarly screw with beings that run on magic or other Mana substances just as well as living flesh and bone?

Also: Are there any weird interactions with storm (lightning) animists? Would be neat from a flavor standpoint if not a mechanical one.
(Force Lightning duels would be fun)

This is a shocking lore post, as one who loved lightning Evo... +1 

Im not sorry for the joke

2 hours ago, Mannamannaa said:

I mean, it's not just lightning but "Void-charged" space cancer entropy lightning, right? Makes sense that it would eat away or similarly screw with beings that run on magic or other Mana substances just as well as living flesh and bone?

Also: Are there any weird interactions with storm (lightning) animists? Would be neat from a flavor standpoint if not a mechanical one.
(Force Lightning duels would be fun)

Typically I wouldn’t agree with the notion that Elemental Evocations should have any hidden effects outside of the effects of the elements they represent (such as a bludgeoning rock blast causing space cancer too…) But you may actually be hitting on something here; If it is supposed that the power of a natural lightning bolt is beyond the scope of Descendant control - then it could be that they draw more influence from the Void for these spells, making it that suggested ‘void flavored lightning’. 

Have this magic steer into the power fantasy trope in an unprecedented way, and do so not by making it powerful and flashy, but by dipping it more into the Void than other elemental evocations do.

Lightning should therein be colored by caster aura.