The Void - The Dream - Why?

A thesis on innate casting and the overcomplication of magic

By the ancient wizard Divadri

Before you was a parchment. It was longer than a usual parchment perhaps the writer was too lazy to write on the other side. Perhaps you found this posted by a tavern or mayhaps you are a fellow wizard summoning their daily wizard newspaper and found this thesis upon it. This was an open thesis.

“Ah yes, magic. So whether you thrive in the topic or hate it, we cannot deny that magic is a great part of our world. The world itself was born from the abyss afterall molded and shaped by a greater being, one GOD himself as the mortals say. This would by proxy make him the greatest magician of all. But what if it was all but a dream? I digress..”

Some ash was smeared here on the parchment. It smelled of fine herbs a bit minty as well. Perhaps a pipe was being smoked when it was being written.

“All students of mine can attest to one conclusion of magic in which it is born of a dream. It might be safe that our reality itself is but the dream of one slumbering GOD but.. That is another topic of debate for the future aye?”

A splotch of ink was here. Did he try to scratch something out or did his pen leak?

“These younger generations go out trying to put reason to rhyme with the unthinkable.. That there is a ‘Science’ behind the chaotic energies that lay between our stars and that one can tame that is untameable. Hoshposh I declare! I cry out asking for our generations to stop with their ‘rationalizing’ of the void and their over stepping in attempts to tame this beast. We must step back from these ways and go back to the ways of yore - a safer understanding of the void. Dreams!”

“I think, and therefore, it is.”

“This is what magic is. Not tearing open holes in realty and sundering thy souls to the void. Nay! We must ground ourselves in reality but keep our minds open to the dreams I say.”

“Magic is simply that - dreams. If we wizard's wish to conjure forth a pool of water to splash the rabble and youths off our lawn and keep them from stealing our pink flamingo lawn ornaments (I know who you are, I will find you and I will kill you) - Then we must first understand what water is innately! We must be able to picture it in our mind's eye!”

“It's just a dream! You do not need to know all this hoshposh of temperature and numbers. You just dream of the calm and cooling ocean waves splashing between your toes on a warm afternoon.”

A few dots of ink were here. It may be evident the writer was tapping his pen a few times in thought or perhaps he was just bored.

“We do not need to over complicate the already complex. We do not need to overreach into such a power and drag the world down with us. Simplify your wizardry and do it safely. Wizards and Witches of the realm hear me out. Reflect upon this, yourself and think deep.”

A cat paw was stamped here in ink. It looks as if the author was trying to get it off the parchment as it was smeared but gave up.

“Ask yourself this. What reason do you dream so big?”

“If you cannot justify it to yourself. You do not deserve such.”

OOC: This missive is public. You may read this wherever and post freely. I wanted to voidpost too.

"Everything is rational, old man. If one doesn't seek to comprehend the incomprehensible, you are doomed to uselessness."

There was no way Sarrion would hear this, a certain friend of his just did the normal forum copium.

A robe-clad figure looked upon the missive without saying anything or giving any clear indication of opinion on the subject.

Elenora Zytiaear glanced over the writing as her father finished it, a brief smile coming to her face.

"You know some people would perhaps take you more seriously if you took the time to actually make this look nice right? Hmm.. Ah- I hope you find out who has been stealing those pink flamingos. Such.. a shame.."

The druidess then headed off to her temporary room, assuring the door was tightly closed in order to hide the flamboyance of fake flamingos she had gathered.

"He cannot get you here... Shh.."

"I hate you Sarrion shut up shut up I want to make up wacky stuff so people think I'm SMART and COOL. Kidding. Magic should be magic!"

The Wizard conjures a psychic storm within the Void nonetheless and sends it hurtling towards Sarrion's crystal orb or whatever he has in his house. It manifests as minor inconvenience, and causes Sarrion to lightly stub his toe the next time he's around it. In addition, he hears this exact message relayed in his head, alongside laughter from the attacking magician! She knew it was Sarrion, of course, because of his pipe smoke smell staining the wizard newspaper. Perhaps it wasn't actually Sarrion, and Sarrion just got dunked on for no reason.

Spoiler

What is a psychic attack, and how can I protect myself from it? - Quora

2 minutes ago, Lord_of_losers said:

"I hate you Sarrion shut up shut up I want to make up wacky stuff so people think I'm SMART and COOL. Kidding. Magic should be magic!"

The Wizard conjures a psychic storm within the Void nonetheless and sends it hurtling towards Sarrion's crystal orb or whatever he has in his house. It manifests as minor inconvenience, and causes Sarrion to lightly stub his toe the next time he's around it. In addition, he hears this exact message relayed in his head, alongside laughter from the attacking magician! She knew it was Sarrion, of course, because of his pipe smoke smell staining the wizard newspaper. Perhaps it wasn't actually Sarrion, and Sarrion just got dunked on for no reason.

Reveal hidden contents

What is a psychic attack, and how can I protect myself from it? - Quora

Somewhere, sometime, the old Elf stubbed his toe and screamed out.

"SARRRAAAAHHHHHH."

"Finally. A void mage that makes sense a little bit! It is true that those of old are the most enlightened!" Said an Old woman who supports her fellow old person!