[✓] [Magic Lore + Playable CAs] Naztherak

BobBox

When the rewrite was first conceptualized, we were under the impression it would only take a few weeks, maybe a month or two. It didn't. Between myself and @BobBox, we finished Naztherak, Zar'akal, and the Inferis Compendium in just shy of a year — 9 months. Something many of you will notice is that a lot of this is @Luciloo's writing, and we have no intention of downplaying the immense effort and care that went into what she wrote. Instead of putting all of her work on the chopping block, we instead attempted to write as an extension of the current lore, because in truth, there are a lot of things we wanted to keep, a lot of things that didn't need to be fixed. We enjoy many of the mechanics and abilities her rewrite introduced, and felt that removing them would be a detriment to our RP interactions. 

Before we had any intention of a rewrite, it had been an ongoing trend of amendment after amendment, addition after addition, all in an attempt to remedy the problem we faced, and currently do face: stagnation. The problems we faced were too big and all-encompassing to submit as individual amendments. Despite the depth and detail to it, we were struggling to utilize our lore in a way that would truly provide to long-term interaction, because the mechanics simply didn't allow for it. For example, in the old lore, there's nothing stopping boon application from being a one-off interaction wherein a player could receive a boon before disappearing, never to be seen again. In our rewrite, we applied an "expiration" date on it, which we hope will serve to encourage more natural, frequent interactions between players and the Naztherak. These sorts of mechanics are sprinkled throughout the lore, along with other additions, changes, and removals. 

It is a big lore piece. I regret to say that I was much more critical of Luci's lore a while ago than I should've been, and I apologize for that, because the truth is that our rewrite is likely to contain many flaws as well. As a novice lorewriter, I didn't comprehend the sheer amount of work and care that needs to be considered when writing minecraft fantasy magic. It is ******* hard. Towards the later months, bobbox and I started to experience heavy burnout. I did not want to touch the doc. I was doomering so hard. My wife and children left me. Eventually, @Valkireyshowed enthusiasm for helping us finalize spells, rituals, redlines, etc, which I am extremely thankful for, because he did an awesome job. 

What you see here is by no means what we had written two, four, or six months ago. We removed many initial concepts after reconsideration, peer-review and understanding that what was there simply wouldn't work. Although what you see now by no means introduced groundbreaking, revolutionary new ideas, the main intent of the lore was to create amendments that would provide to the broader scope of our storytelling abilities and interaction. I'm sure that in time, our rewrite will be left behind and replaced with something new, but I'm alright with that. I just want to focus on what we have now and work from the ground up next map with a hopefully thriving, engaged playerbase.

Things have been slow within our tiny community, but the players we've garnered in the last few months are passionate and engaged with what the lore has to offer. Over the last few months,  @TimberBuff@_Leyd@Valkirey @greisnhave all been singlehandedly carrying the lore on their shoulders, and I want to thank them for that and hope that their support can follow through with us next map. Without them, I genuinely think I would've lost hope and pursued a different niche of RP. 

With that being said, I want to once again take this opportunity to state that we are always looking for new players to bring into our community. We want an active, thriving playerbase that takes genuine interest in what we have to offer, and want to develop, expand, and engage with the lore. We want to weave storylines from player to player, because in my opinion, that's what makes the magic most enjoyable. Although my last recruitment post garnered a handful of interest, I found myself struggling to balance time between them, myself, and the rest of the community. It's my hope that with this project off my plate, next map right around the corner,  and summer coming up, I'll be able to truly focus on the players who show interest. 

Thank you to everyone who offered input and advice along the way, as well as those who reassured me when I was ready to call it quits. I'm genuinely thankful for the community and environment we've fostered lately, even if small, and want to spend more of my time on this server helping you guys pursue the litany of amazing ideas you've told me about in DMs. 

I LOVE NAZTHERAK I LOVE DEMONS +1

This lore has been denied entrance to heaven. You will be messaged the reasons for this denial, and any feedback if applicable, within the next 24 hours. 

Spoiler

The church of Satan is a good place to Goat to - 9GAG

the new rituals & greater boons r cool & the post is a lot easier to read gj

only gripe is that some of the combative spells (rok-krimth/rok-argal in particular) seem a little overtuned balance wise

I think making the magic stronger while reducing their physical drawbacks might not be the best idea. HOWEVER, I was pleasantly surprised by how well thought out and written this is. I can definitely see the months of work that went into it! Hope things work out in MAG.

41 minutes ago, creamynoteblock said:

the new rituals & greater boons r cool & the post is a lot easier to read gj

only gripe is that some of the combative spells (rok-krimth/rok-argal in particular) seem a little overtuned balance wise

Hey, thanks for the feedback regarding those spells, allow me to expand a bit more upon them.

Rok-Krimth is largely a port over from the current accepted Naztherak lore, except that it has been weakened in some direct ways. While it does take 1 less emote to summon, they also cost significantly more of a Naztherak's maleus pool (now taking 2/5s of a T5 Naztherak's). On top of this, the malflame from the chains will no longer spread across the victim's skin as they currently do, meaning that for each hit received, the recipient does not need to emote patting out the flame or something similar. 

Rok-Argal by contrast may be a bit stronger than it is in the current write, but only because it is a combination of the moving wall spell and the standing still wall spell. Rok-Argal in this proposed write requires the same amount of emotes but costs more (now taking 30% of a Naztherak's total maleus pool for the smallest one). The wall also then takes an additional 1 emote to send forward, meaning that if you compare this moving wall version from the currently accepted write, it is also slightly worse. The solid wall consuming projectiles is also something that can be currently done in Naztherak, requiring the same amount of emotes total.

9 minutes ago, ClassyBells said:

I think making the magic stronger while reducing their physical drawbacks might not be the best idea.

I am truthfully unsure how we have reduced the physical drawbacks of Naztherak, as in both sets of the Naztherak write we can only wear up to half-plate, equating them to a voidal-mage, though I suppose we didn't specifically say that we are limited to voidal-mage strength, and so I've included it now.

Very cool.

Awesome effort you guys put into this, looks great!

Spoiler

Witchwitchwitchwitchwitch

I seriously love this! It's a nice effort on building on old Naz lore and adding a lot more non-combative and freeform stuff. I really enjoy the aesthetic you've got going on. 

I think it might've been nice to see some more non-combative spells, though, to lend some more casual 'flair'. 

Looks good, but my only qualm with it is that it appears its just another dark magic CA that can just rp as usual descendants and continously hide their demonic traits, unless I've read it wrong. Why would their demonic traits only appear when they are casting or at whim?

5 hours ago, ReveredOwl said:

Looks good, but my only qualm with it is that it appears its just another dark magic CA that can just rp as usual descendants and continously hide their demonic traits, unless I've read it wrong. Why would their demonic traits only appear when they are casting or at whim?

Thanks for question. As I understand it, Naztherak is actually one of the most visually exposed Dark Magics on the server via a few of the systems in place, such as the permanent brand which cannot be hidden, permanent mutations should one wish to pact, a demonic pet which follows them around occasionally, and having to hold a demonic item on themselves in order to cast. 

To answer your question, we can reference the currently accepted Zar'akal write, which is exactly what you described - a demon man who cannot hide their traits at all. This CA is one of the least sought after dark magic ones, mostly because of this fact. When people (especially characters which were once normal) are forced to always appear evil, they will be ruthlessly hunted down. They can no longer associate with their past families or attempt to infiltrate any nation to cause problems. These characters would have to constantly wear armor (something many places don't allow) and would not be able to do any roleplay besides attacking people or sitting in their lairs, which isn't good for the server or their community as a whole.  It is for these reasons that Naztherak are not always demonic.

7 hours ago, Olandyr said:

I seriously love this! It's a nice effort on building on old Naz lore and adding a lot more non-combative and freeform stuff. I really enjoy the aesthetic you've got going on. 

I think it might've been nice to see some more non-combative spells, though, to lend some more casual 'flair'. 

We did poll quite a lot about non combative abilities that people in the community wanted, and the overwhelming majority requested everything included in the T2 spell Prince's Presence, with a bonus of Hell's Gate. This, mixed with the new familiar mechanics, being able to do aesthetic malflame conjuration without triggering your transformation, and malices being tweaked, should provide the community with abundant tools for flavorful roleplay outside of "I burn you with demon fire"