[✗] [Magic Lore] Druidism | The Gift of the Wilds

WestCarolina

19 hours ago, WestCarolina said:

For instance, one may experience an overwhelming sense of anguish if Voidal Magic has affected the natural area, or on the other hand, joy, should there be a balance held. 

Poking my head in to say, this looks like a good write all in all, huge fan of Druidism and how well its done on Lotc. My request is that it be clarified/ discussed which effects are referenced here. I personally believe it is important not to leave this vague.

I.e. if a Water Evoker sprays water on grass, is that causing agony?

Or perhaps this refers to pieces of lore which explicitly state their effects on nature? Such as Voidal Tears, Voidstalkers, Voidal Artificery Imbuement.

The point I am making is to ensure you're not inadvertently adding mechanics onto other forms of magic in Druidism Magic Lore; The better route is to make an amendment to those pieces directly, or established World Lore pieces.

3 hours ago, ItsMyWorld66 said:

I myself expressed and even cited a part that specifically states that we cannot heal the source of blight, which 100% negates our healing abilities. Because if we cannot heal it, cant get rid of it, then we're just constantly cleaning up the area of infection without treating the wound on Nature so to speak. This is directly a step back and I'd like it addressed.

This right here, I would like clarification please:
image.png.1748cd3f273dbb51bca08321a8f299da.png

Gonna jump in quick to answer your particular worry here: I don't believe this is saying druids cannot heal 'the [specific]' source of blight [being focused on], rather it's saying that 'a [non-specific]' source of blight can still spread into/be spread in Restored land. Admittedly, though, the wording could be adjusted for clarity. For example:

"Restoration can restore blighted land to its natural state, but does not make that land immune to being blighted again."

Hopefully that would fix your concerns with this redline, but feel free to suggest a different wording. The rest of your points, I'll let the druid players continue to discuss!

(I'll also take this opportunity to say thanks @WestCarolinafor letting me be a menace to yet another google doc)

4 hours ago, ItsMyWorld66 said:

It's me again~ Sorry to be harping on this but it feels like you keep somehow missing key questions, you say you addressed them but the fact that it's being asked again means your clarification wasn't clear.

Greensight no does not allow you to manipulate song however it does allow you to see otherwise unseen flora and fauna. Same as Communion you're able to 'hear' all the plantlife around you, this is why in dead zones Druids get a little crazy. Does that not stand to reason, that in a cave system, you would be able to 'hear' the plantlife of roots, moss, ect all around you even if you cannot see it? A single layer of rock does not work like lead against electronics, that's not how Druidism works.
We're just asking for an explanation on if we can hear it, why do we need to see it? Growth states that line of sight is not needed, but an extra emote is because it's not in sight. This contradicts your 'I cant grow it if I cant see it' sort of deal, if that makes sense?

He asked about Barkskin alongside myself, we both would like some clarification. I understand the reasoning behind partly of why you would need two druids, it's a balance issue. However for Druids who are not a part of a circle, or who do not come into contact with others frequently they are soft-locked out of this ability because even if they know how to do it, they cannot because they need two others. Do you see where the concern is?

Lastly you're not disagreeing with the bias of combat oriented abilities vs healing aspects. Multiple people have expressed an upset that we feel the healing aspects are being pushed to the side, unlike the combat abilities are given vague and low attention information. You might not use the healing abilities very often, your group might not use them as much, but there are other Druids who do and are very active in them and would like to see them grow. Not pushed back.

I myself expressed and even cited a part that specifically states that we cannot heal the source of blight, which 100% negates our healing abilities. Because if we cannot heal it, cant get rid of it, then we're just constantly cleaning up the area of infection without treating the wound on Nature so to speak. This is directly a step back and I'd like it addressed.
This right here, I would like clarification please:
image.png.1748cd3f273dbb51bca08321a8f299da.png

I don't mind reexplaining things!

With current Greensight, what I was referring to both in my comments and in this rewrite is this redline in Greensight, how you cannot see anything natural, ie, flora or fauna that is obstructed by unnatural things like rock or a building for instance. 
979917215_ScreenShot2023-04-14at8_49_14PM.thumb.png.f1516d47aa57d02fdccc9e8b74ed60b0.png

After rereading and reevaluating, I'll make an amendment regarding seeking out the song if the knowledge of it being there in the first place is not known at first - as it is written in the accepted Lore. 

For your Barkskin concern; If the Druid knows how to do it, as in they are a T5 if this rewrite is accepted, they won't need another Druid to help them create it. Only teaching Druids who do not get the knowledge, will require the creation ritual. Does that help? I'll make a clarification point if so under Barkskin. 

For your final point, I'm not disagreeing because I do not think this piece was more catered to combat v. healing. If anything, I believe Druids would have more routes of protecting themselves, through Barkskin, Bloomblade as shields and weapons, as they do healing physical wounds with Mending. In addition, as both @Hyperdron& @Werew0lfmade note, in this write, with the implementation of a clear exhaustion system that the last lore piece lacked, Druids can now heal & cast more times in an IRL day then they were previously allowed. 

If the explanations here, and what others have answered still leave questions please let me know. Feel free to also DM me over the forums if you'd like. If I ever miss a point you've made, it isn't intentional, there is just a lot to address. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Luxury said:

Poking my head in to say, this looks like a good write all in all, huge fan of Druidism and how well its done on Lotc. My request is that it be clarified/ discussed which effects are referenced here. I personally believe it is important not to leave this vague.

I.e. if a Water Evoker sprays water on grass, is that causing agony?

Or perhaps this refers to pieces of lore which explicitly state their effects on nature? Such as Voidal Tears, Voidstalkers, Voidal Artificery Imbuement.

The point I am making is to ensure you're not inadvertently adding mechanics onto other forms of magic in Druidism Magic Lore; The better route is to make an amendment to those pieces directly, or established World Lore pieces.

Hey thanks for reaching out and addressing this.

When I wrote, "For instance, one may experience an overwhelming sense of anguish if Voidal Magic has affected the natural area, or on the other hand, joy, should there be a balance held," the line "overwhelming anguish if voidal magic has affected the natural area" is referring to what you mention with voidal tears, imbuements, or blight. I'll reword and make that clear. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Hyperdron said:

Gonna jump in quick to answer your particular worry here: I don't believe this is saying druids cannot heal 'the [specific]' source of blight [being focused on], rather it's saying that 'a [non-specific]' source of blight can still spread into/be spread in Restored land. Admittedly, though, the wording could be adjusted for clarity. For example:

"Restoration can restore blighted land to its natural state, but does not make that land immune to being blighted again."

Hopefully that would fix your concerns with this redline, but feel free to suggest a different wording. The rest of your points, I'll let the druid players continue to discuss!

(I'll also take this opportunity to say thanks @WestCarolinafor letting me be a menace to yet another google doc)

And big thank you for both clarifying that Hyper, and for all the help from you and Pixel. You both ripped this piece a part and really challenged me to do some critical thinking. Appreciate you a lot!

The formatting for the spells under each tier is a little difficult to read through. Would it be possible to make the titles of the spells larger and introduce some colour to the explanation or mechanics + titles? Would simply make skimming through the list to find the designated spell much easier.

7 hours ago, Evonpire said:

I am curious why templar compatibility was removed, it was explained to me that there was a lore reason beyond chase's gf templar being a druid, that these two magics were compatible.

To my knowledge, Malchaediel or whatever his name is doesn't particularly care if people worship other deities - as long as they're seeking glory or something? Being courageous. Would like to know why this is suddenly getting stripped! It would also limit the different combinations Templars can have with other magics.

Just now, Amayonnaise said:

To my knowledge, Malchaediel or whatever his name is doesn't particularly care if people worship other deities - as long as they're seeking glory or something? Being courageous. Would like to know why this is suddenly getting stripped! It would also limit the different combinations Templars can have with other magics.

I said in my response to Evonpire that I'll clarify it! Was a mistake

1 minute ago, WestCarolina said:

I said in my response to Evonpire that I'll clarify it! Was a mistake

Oop my bad - thought you meant you'd clarify why it wasn't compatible.

In the lands of Almaris, the druids' dedication to their duties had been challenged by the Aspects. Taynei’hiylun, being one to represent these wild gods, tested the druids to determine what sacrifices they would make for nature. Some passed on to the Eternal Forest as a result, and others were left maimed as a reminder of their struggle. Steeling themselves with this suffering, many felt empowered and inspired to be proactive with their gifts. However, after mass voidal destruction struck the realm, the inability to heal this wound left many druids feeling helpless. Failed attempts were made to spread fire to the voidal hollow, inspired by the philosophies of Nemiisae’s culling. Cernunnos was with those druids who fought the creatures that survived within these blighted lands, yet even with the Great Huntsman's aid, it was to no avail. With Cerridwen's creations tainted, the druids were unable to plan or gather information through communion. In a desperate measure, the druids came to the decision to bring the Aspect Stones together. This was not without a sacrifice: the Hyssop Druid. As their fellow Sister’s death activated the stones, everyone near witnessed an explosion of natural energies healing the blighted land, leaving an Elder willow in the Hyssop Druid's place.

It was miraculous, but it required the intervention of the Aspects, leaving many druids questioning their own abilities to effectively serve their deities, and maintain the natural balance. There formed a group of druids who came together at the mark of every spring to ritualistically seek visions of gifts lost in the wilds. They hoped to receive a boon in the form of techniques that would allow them to more practically serve nature. Ritual offerings ranged from remains of nature's foes, infused trinkets of yore, as well as other creations from the hands of newer druids of the fold. Prayers were chanted, smoke from the Raell’vulsulin tree burned, and stylistic dresswear worn, in the hope that all their efforts may somehow be heard. Beyond these ceremonial gatherings, the druids spent every day performing their duties and seeking out more knowledge of their connection and gifts. It was then, one day, that Taynei’hiylun cast a vision upon all druids:

A barrage of druidic warriors and guardians sprinted across plains with gray smoke on the horizon. Upon treetops, druids pull powered woad(?) bows to fend off an attacking Iblessian force. Their arrows strike true, their gifts guiding projectile to target. On the front-line, druids have foregone metal armor to instead brandish growing bark mail, holding their polearms and shields to prepare for an advance. Each weapon was wooden, and when they finally bit into flesh of their demonic foe, the blades erupted outward into an entangling surge of binding vines. Another group of druidic guardians fell behind with the duty of healing reclaimed land, or infusing flora to then men the injuries of their warriorkin with. The battle lasted for what felt like only mere seconds, until the druids awakened, with these new gifts to be learned. 

I typically don't do this, but I have alternative motives.

Here are some corrections for various spelling and grammatical mistakes in the intro to your lore. Woad sounds like a spelling mistake, but it could just be some weird wood I haven't heard of. I've put a question-mark beside it. I tried to restrict most of my edits to the aforementioned, but I have taken the liberty of making some small sentence changes to help it flow better. Depending on things, I might spend some more time going over this.

31 minutes ago, Aesopian said:

I typically don't do this, but I have alternative motives.

Here are some corrections for various spelling and grammatical mistakes in the intro to your lore. Woad sounds like a spelling mistake, but it could just be some weird wood I haven't heard of. I've put a question-mark beside it. I tried to restrict most of my edits to the aforementioned, but I have taken the liberty of making some small sentence changes to help it flow better. Depending on things, I might spend some more time going over this.

I'll consider the revision. Thank you!

And woad bow is an accepted lore piece written by @ClassyBells

https://www.lordofthecraft.net/forums/topic/219047-✓-magic-invention-woadbows/ 

Honestly I do like how you have combinded the mess that is druidism lore into a very coherent piece- as someone who played a druid for a while I always had a hard time going through everything and the formatting and combinations used in this piece are a welcome sight.

Though it does seem like you removed the fact druids can not be machine spirits or klones as it would go against the aspects? Is there a reason for this, did you forget about them? It was mentioned in the original lore they could not. To me it would remove the very cool niche idea of druids near death having the option to become a soul tree when they could just become a klone or animii.

4 hours ago, Jaxothy said:

Honestly I do like how you have combinded the mess that is druidism lore into a very coherent piece- as someone who played a druid for a while I always had a hard time going through everything and the formatting and combinations used in this piece are a welcome sight.

Though it does seem like you removed the fact druids can not be machine spirits or klones as it would go against the aspects? Is there a reason for this, did you forget about them? It was mentioned in the original lore they could not. To me it would remove the very cool niche idea of druids near death having the option to become a soul tree when they could just become a klone or animii.

Druids being compatible with machine spirits and klones is something I think Keefy added last year? Regardless they are compatible with the current write of druidism anyway (don't entirely disagree either though.)

3 hours ago, ClassyBells said:

Druids being compatible with machine spirits and klones is something I think Keefy added last year? Regardless they are compatible with the current write of druidism anyway (don't entirely disagree either though.)

Are they? Guess it has been a bit over a year since my druid died so I'm not completely up to date. Still I believe that druids not being able to use the more esoteric ways of revival would be better- obviously they can still make them. 

When I went through and made the plethora of hot-fixes and rewrites to portions which added stuff like Luonto and what not, MS and Klones were added under the position of the Aspects don't care cause the soul isn't directly being changed. With that said though, it also locks you out of accessing parts of druidism once you do this, and you cannot use alternate revival method after I.E. A klone cannot be soul tree'd. 

It basically becomes a small game of "Choose your phylactery".

Hmmm...seems it's more of a re-word than a rewrite, since a good majority of the spells are just re-named of the ones currently present.

I will, however, say I like the shorter casting requirements, as I think the current ones are wayyyyyyy too long.

I also like the bark skin (as confused as I am with the explanation, but that's mostly because I have trouble understanding) and the HEALING (FINALLY, CALLBACK TO OLD DRUID MAGIC). Bloomblade sounds goofy but it's my kind of goofy- about time druidism gets some combat capabilities instead of literally one spell (Say what you want about druidism being a 'peaceful magic' but I call bs cus druidism is metal af)

All in all, I give this 'rewrite' a 7/10.

19 hours ago, PotatoDruid said:

Hmmm...seems it's more of a re-word than a rewrite, since a good majority of the spells are just re-named of the ones currently present.

I will, however, say I like the shorter casting requirements, as I think the current ones are wayyyyyyy too long.

I also like the bark skin (as confused as I am with the explanation, but that's mostly because I have trouble understanding) and the HEALING (FINALLY, CALLBACK TO OLD DRUID MAGIC). Bloomblade sounds goofy but it's my kind of goofy- about time druidism gets some combat capabilities instead of literally one spell (Say what you want about druidism being a 'peaceful magic' but I call bs cus druidism is metal af)

All in all, I give this 'rewrite' a 7/10.

Well, another major part of the re-write is to condense the bloated amount of abilities/spells since there are quite a few that pertain to the same topic (such as Growth and Ungrowth). Makes more sense to be able to learn abilities that cover similar topics in a more streamlined process