[✗] [Magic Lore] Druidism | The Gift of the Wilds

WestCarolina

Ummm excuse me. You didn't give credit to Melvin & he knows all the lore.

Ok but seriously, very proud of you & how much work you put into thia rewrite. Know it's something you poured a lot of time & energy into to help druidism get to a better place. 

Super cool

WOOOOOOOOOO cant wait to make a bloom scythe (just kidding on that spear all the way) Great write only question is what happens to those who already have a TA and are T5? do we auto learn the new stuff?

could the proposed removal of grasping be explained? feels like a major tank to our healing which i dont understand, especially considering we're in the second instance in which our healing isn't enough without killing ourselves anyways. would strengthening it not make more sense?

i think the lower range on blight healing and removal of grasping is unneccesary. more combative spells are nice but why do we have to nerf the healing when it already was an exhausting multiple person job?

edit: druids are already crazy underpowered and this just makes us even moreso. 

So now second post! I've had time to really look over the lore and I'm equally pleased and bothered by this piece, here's why~

I'm grateful for the plethora of skills that were terribly redundant to be grouped together, I agree we had too many abilities that did exactly the same thing just slightly nuanced. This makes it much easier to understand and keep track of and far far less lessons for each ability.

That being said I need to cover some other topics:

Guidiance, on this one everything seems good till you get to combat scenario. It takes line of sight, which is both good and bad in my opinion. Druids have never needed line of sight to know where something is, take for example roots. If I'm stuck underground trapped and I cant see the roots that are all around me, is this saying I cannot use them to tunnel out because I cannot see them? Or do I just have to stare at the 'dirt' in which I know roots are threaded through? Some clarification would be good.

Druidic Limbs, with the one I'm only confused about the creation. Before we would need to use Awakening to bring the dead wood back to life, which on one hand was confusing because blooming did that as well, but it looks like it's specifically an enchantment for druidic limb function in passive. Some clarification on that would be nice.

Restoration, one of my biggest concerns. It seems to take a large step back from the previous Purging/Beastpurge/Cleansing in that it's been nerphed down horribly.
Why at T5 can I only go 10 blocks from the previous at best 15? Fertilizing is a 15 block radius, why can this one not be? Other magics can reach way way father then that, and can do it instantly. It also doesn't specify if we can move or not, when previously we were able to slowly move forwards while casting.
Druids have been a large support class and this feels like the shortened range and unclear on whether or not how easily it is to disrupt feels like a step back. On top of that it says the source of blight can still spread meaning we cant use this to cleanse it? So then what's the point if a Necro can blight a tree (the source), and it can keep spreading and we have to what...chop it down? It makes no sense we cannot use this ability to purge the source of the spread, just the offset. It feels like the healing aspects/peaceful druid types got pushed to the back as there is far more attack and combat related abilities then peaceful/support abilities now then ever before.
Some clarification would be good please.

Luonto, I do not understand why it's a 'passive' and yet has to be taught? It's an Rp aspect at best and it requires a lesson to learn, that to me is bloat for lessons. I think it should be an auto learn like it was prior.

Barkskin, I need some clarification. Why does it take two druids with the knowledge to teach it? Why cant it be just one? It's saying also that the ritual is performed as a means to teach and demonstrate, but what about a T5 Druid that already knows it? Do they need two other Druids to help put new bark on them, or can they do it themselves? Clarification please.

Mending, the only issue I have with this is why not animals? Once again we have an ability that works on people, non druids, and druids but not animals? Why? What makes them different then a person? As a Druid they are a part of nature and again get the short end of the stick, because another ability doesn't include something we're supposed to be able to help. I would like to see more abilities being able to aid animals, who are part of nature unlike people, and to add in that they can also be mended. I do not see any reason why animals specifically are excluded when their flesh is the same kind of flesh others have.
And if the argument is that they wont hold still? We can pacify animals and I can certainly use a normal bandage on them, but you're telling me they wont sit still for me to put a leaf bandage? Makes no sense, clarification please.

I'm really upset at the loss of Grasping. Once more healing/peaceful druids are losing out to combat related abilities, and now one of our best abilities that doubled as a new Infusion is being pushed out. It was a great anti-dark magic barrier ability, and it gave hope to those Druids that want to do less fight and more support that they have something major they could do. I would like to see it re-added or at least give us an equivalent ability that boosts the healing side of Druids. Especially since in the redlines it says we can be disrupted by literally someone throwing rocks at us. Another issue is that again as it was pointed out, a lot of the time we're called to heal and fix places that we cant because we're just not strong enough.

In conclusion, I hope a buff to the more healing/peaceful aspects of this rewrite because in various places they got nerphed while the combat warrior class got a serious boost. Druids were meant to be equally both but this feels more leaning towards the other, though I am very grateful at the combination of the redundant abilities.

11 minutes ago, ItsMyWorld66 said:

So now second post! I've had time to really look over the lore and I'm equally pleased and bothered by this piece, here's why~

I'm grateful for the plethora of skills that were terribly redundant to be grouped together, I agree we had too many abilities that did exactly the same thing just slightly nuanced. This makes it much easier to understand and keep track of and far far less lessons for each ability.

Guidiance, on this one everything seems good till you get to combat scenario. It takes line of sight, which is both good and bad in my opinion. Druids have never needed line of sight to know where something is, take for example roots. If I'm stuck underground trapped and I cant see the roots that are all around me, is this saying I cannot use them to tunnel out because I cannot see them? Or do I just have to stare at the 'dirt' in which I know roots are threaded through? Some clarification would be good.

Druidic Limbs, with the one I'm only confused about the creation. Before we would need to use Awakening to bring the dead wood back to life, which on one hand was confusing because blooming did that as well, but it looks like it's specifically an enchantment for druidic limb function in passive. Some clarification on that would be nice.

Restoration, one of my biggest concerns. It seems to take a large step back from the previous Purging/Beastpurge/Cleansing in that it's been nerphed down horribly.
Why at T5 can I only go 10 blocks from the previous at best 15? Fertilizing is a 15 block radius, why can this one not be? Other magics can reach way way father then that, and can do it instantly. It also doesn't specify if we can move or not, when previously we were able to slowly move forwards while casting.
Druids have been a large support class and this feels like the shortened range and unclear on whether or not how easily it is to disrupt feels like a step back. On top of that it says the source of blight can still spread meaning we cant use this to cleanse it? So then what's the point if a Necro can blight a tree (the source), and it can keep spreading and we have to what...chop it down? It makes no sense we cannot use this ability to purge the source of the spread, just the offset. It feels like the healing aspects/peaceful druid types got pushed to the back as there is far more attack and combat related abilities then peaceful/support abilities now then ever before.

Luonto, I do not understand why it's a 'passive' and yet has to be taught? It's an Rp aspect at best and it requires a lesson to learn, that to me is bloat for lessons. I think it should be an auto learn like it was prior.

Barkskin, I need some clarification. Why does it take two druids with the knowledge to teach it? Why cant it be just one? It's saying also that the ritual is performed as a means to teach and demonstrate, but what about a T5 Druid that already knows it? Do they need two other Druids to help put new bark on them, or can they do it themselves? Clarification please.

Mending, the only issue I have with this is why not animals? Once again we have an ability that works on people, non druids, and druids but not animals? Why? What makes them different then a person? As a Druid they are a part of nature and again get the short end of the stick, because another ability doesn't include something we're supposed to be able to help. I would like to see more abilities being able to aid animals, who are part of nature unlike people, and to add in that they can also be mended. I do not see any reason why animals specifically are excluded when their flesh is the same kind of flesh others have.
And if the argument is that they wont hold still? We can pacify animals and I can certainly use a normal bandage on them, but you're telling me they wont sit still for me to put a leaf bandage? Makes no sense, clarification please.

I'm really upset at the loss of Grasping. Once more healing/peaceful druids are losing out to combat related abilities, and now one of our best abilities that doubled as a new Infusion is being pushed out. It was a great anti-dark magic barrier ability, and it gave hope to those Druids that want to do less fight and more support that they have something major they could do. I would like to see it re-added or at least give us an equivalent ability that boosts the healing side of Druids. Especially since in the redlines it says we can be disrupted by literally someone throwing rocks at us. Another issue is that again as it was pointed out, a lot of the time we're called to heal and fix places that we cant because we're just not strong enough.

In conclusion, I hope a buff to the more healing/peaceful aspects of this rewrite because in various places they got nerphed while the combat warrior class got a serious boost. Druids were meant to be equally both but this feels more leaning towards the other, though I am very grateful at the combination of the redundant abilities.

im in almost entire agreement to the concerns listed + my own i mentioned.

overall my worry is that our primary function, that being healing blighted and dead nature, is being sidelined for combative abilities. don’t get me wrong, i think it’s good for us to have more capacity to defend ourselves considering before the most we’ve had is surge, however that shouldn’t negate our primary rp purpose. nerfing the AOF of blight heal abilities, taking away grasping, etc. feel like real downgrades. overall the post is well written and the streamlines i can’t complain on, but i feel as though some adjustments should be made to better fit rp

17 minutes ago, ItsMyWorld66 said:

huge +1 on this post, big agree. AS one of the more passive + peaceful druids that focus more on healing, if this was sent through i'd feel extremely demotivated to continue with drudism as a whole. i do enjoy more self defense, but i dont see why it has to come at the expense of something we already dont have enough of.

2 hours ago, twinwolf1 said:

WOOOOOOOOOO cant wait to make a bloom scythe (just kidding on that spear all the way) Great write only question is what happens to those who already have a TA and are T5? do we auto learn the new stuff?

Hi! Thanks for your excitement. I do not believe this is entirely up to me, but if I were to suggest anything to LT, would be that if you haven't learnt something IRP yet, you would still need to learn the spell from someone who has the knowledge. Example; Your character holds a TA in current accepted Communion & Control but has not yet learnt Blight Healing abilities. They would need to get lessons on Blight Healing abilities. As for the newly written T5 abilities, Bloomblade, Mending and Barkskin, I would imagine like how previous new abilities that were added to CC, that folks would know it IRP without a lesson. In this case, the vision I wrote should it be accepted, would grant T5 Druids the knowledge to attempt to try and cast those newer abilities.

2 hours ago, Periphonics said:

could the proposed removal of grasping be explained? feels like a major tank to our healing which i dont understand, especially considering we're in the second instance in which our healing isn't enough without killing ourselves anyways. would strengthening it not make more sense?

That is a great question, and when I asked for opinions within the Druid community, many largely agreed that the ability went vastly unused, unfortunately. I believe that is because of how it is currently written, you are an idle duck unable to move, and waiting to be attacked once the bubble wears off. I was informed that the only way of making it stronger and more appealing, would not have passed, ie; adding movement to a shield bubble and having it last longer. 

1 hour ago, verriberri said:

i think the lower range on blight healing and removal of grasping is unneccesary. more combative spells are nice but why do we have to nerf the healing when it already was an exhausting multiple person job?

edit: druids are already crazy underpowered and this just makes us even moreso. 

The ability Mending is an addition for healing, especially while in combat. Can also see my explanation above for the Grasping ability!

37 minutes ago, ItsMyWorld66 said:

I'll address each of your concerns and points formatted below! Also, thank you for your feedback.

Guidance - The fifth redline clarifies this. It specifically states that LOS is required, however, for instances like you mentioned with tree canopies or roots, all you would need is to see the tree itself. Druids know the roots and branches are there. 

Druidic Limbs - I did rework how the creation process is done because of the confusion and redundancy you mentioned with Awakening & Blooming & Infusing. As it reads in the lore piece, you do the mundane crafting or pulling limb out of a tree with guidance, then a separate process now where Druids infuse the limbs with their energies which thus enchants it. I think it is important to look at it different from how it is currently done, or else it'll make things confusing. If this explanation doesn't help though, do let me know! I can try to clarify it more in the piece.

Restoration - I think I am a little confused as to where you're getting a nerf from. This piece is consistent with the current one, 15 block radius, not 10. I do want to say that I agree, it should not be lowered!

Luonto - Luonto has always been required to be learnt, as far as I have been made aware. My guide taught me IRP. If you think that should be removed, I can garner opinions from the rest of the Druid community and an amendment can be made. 

Barkskin - Great question! After speaking with some LT and previous LT, the reasoning behind needing two Druids to learn it is because of the ritual process itself. There needed to be a logical explanation for how a Druid is able to, in the middle of no where, pull bark onto their skin without the presence of a tree. This was the method most seemed to agree on, especially for the RP opportunities it presents. T5 Druids don't need others to help once the creation process is done. Two Druids are only needed for the creation process, not the summoning.

Mending - I would love to make this applicable to animals but as it currently stands, even beast-purging does not allow healing of natural ailments. The reason I was given for that was because of the Aspects deeming it as an interference of the natural way of the cycle. Like I said in Luonto, I can also gauge opinions on this and see if the logic could pan out. 

For your note on grasping, see my above comments! And as a conclusion, Druidism on LotC was not meant to be a healing magic, but I did try to make our previous Herblore more functional and practical by adding Mending as an ability we did not have, and included in the main magic spell-set, too! I know on other mediums and platforms Druidism has a large theme of being medicinal but I believe other magics on the server are meant to cover that, ie; Paladinism & Clerics (should that be rewritten). 

Thanks for the thorough review

Thank you for your clarifications!

Again, that didn't address my concerns with Guidance. LOS is required as you said but if you cannot see the roots, you cant use them is my question.
I'm not looking at a tree in the scenario, I'm in the dark underground. Or even if you're underground in a tunnel, you know there's roots around you with tuning but the way it's worded that I cannot use these roots because I cant see them.

Picture from your Tiers in Restoration:

image.png.c42a65e4081295d485ba9fb694063e04.png

Also you did not address my concern over the fact we cannot heal the 'Source' of blight. My example again, a Blighted Necro Tree, by your wording we can heal the corruption it spreads but not the tree itself since it's a 'source'. Is this correct or is it worded strangely?

image.png.2b15682d955a7cb97e75908d24945de4.png

So with Barkskin, every time we want to create it we need two other Druids that know it just to be clear for a total of three Druids to begin to use it. I get it's supposed to be an 'oh crap combat' button, which is really cool, and I can see the OP of it perhaps needing time out of combat with other Druids to be able to use it. I can only think from an Rp aspect, if you dont have the connections with other Druids you'll be soft-locked out of it because no one will help/teach you.

With Mending I strongly want the ability to be able to leaf bandage them, as I stated I can use a regular bandage and patch them up but as a Druid I do not understand why we cant. If you use the argument of Aspects deeming it as interference, then remove it from being allowed on Descendants because they are completely outside the Druids abilitys and always have been. There's no reason it should work on 'Non Natural People' and it cant work on 'Natural'.

You also bring up the point that we almost cannot directly heal animals themselves, but we can do everything and anything to plants. Again, animals getting the short end of the spectrum even from the Aspects themselves. Not every injury or illness is natural, it could be something as mundane as some jerk poisoning the water source and large swatches of animal life that Druids just have to shrug and say 'Cant do anything'. I feel that's more against the way our abilities should be then anything else.

Yes grasping wasn't used much but that was because we were so heavily nerphed before. We've never had a time to actually us it because so far everything event related has been 'Kill yourself to heal this or just leave it be'. That's sort of a terrible issue that's been plaguing the server as of late, but again that's just one more healing ability removed when you have three new combat ones thrown in the mix.

Of course! We're all here to make a fun Rp experience.

7 minutes ago, ItsMyWorld66 said:

Again, that didn't address my concerns with Guidance. LOS is required as you said but if you cannot see the roots, you cant use them is my question.
I'm not looking at a tree in the scenario, I'm in the dark underground. Or even if you're underground in a tunnel, you know there's roots around you with tuning but the way it's worded that I cannot use these roots because I cant see them.

Also you did not address my concern over the fact we cannot heal the 'Source' of blight. My example again, a Blighted Necro Tree, by your wording we can heal the corruption it spreads but not the tree itself since it's a 'source'. Is this correct or is it worded strangely?

So with Barkskin, every time we want to create it we need two other Druids that know it just to be clear for a total of three Druids to begin to use it. I get it's supposed to be an 'oh crap combat' button, which is really cool, and I can see the OP of it perhaps needing time out of combat with other Druids to be able to use it. I can only think from an Rp aspect, if you dont have the connections with other Druids you'll be soft-locked out of it because no one will help/teach you.

With Mending I strongly want the ability to be able to leaf bandage them, as I stated I can use a regular bandage and patch them up but as a Druid I do not understand why we cant. If you use the argument of Aspects deeming it as interference, then remove it from being allowed on Descendants because they are completely outside the Druids abilitys and always have been. There's no reason it should work on 'Non Natural People' and it cant work on 'Natural'.

You also bring up the point that we almost cannot directly heal animals themselves, but we can do everything and anything to plants. Again, animals getting the short end of the spectrum even from the Aspects themselves. Not every injury or illness is natural, it could be something as mundane as some jerk poisoning the water source and large swatches of animal life that Druids just have to shrug and say 'Cant do anything'. I feel that's more against the way our abilities should be then anything else.

Yes grasping wasn't used much but that was because we were so heavily nerphed before. We've never had a time to actually us it because so far everything event related has been 'Kill yourself to heal this or just leave it be'. That's sort of a terrible issue that's been plaguing the server as of late, but again that's just one more healing ability removed when you have three new combat ones thrown in the mix.

Nothing to add to this, just wanting to agree with the points made! 

5 minutes ago, ItsMyWorld66 said:

image.png.2b15682d955a7cb97e75908d24945de4.png

For guidance, so long as you've seen the tree that is all that matters. If you're in a cave, and haven't seen a tree, then yeah you wouldn't be able to pull roots from the stone (unless you can see the roots mundanely) just like how you wouldn't be able to see natures song past stone or if a house is in the way with Greensight. 

Ah you are totally right, there was a typo, put two 5's instead of a 15. Thanks for that catch.
367c641e96da8a87b324a33f5c415746.png

Barkskin - No, you need 2 Druids to help create it. In order to summon it in a combat scenario, you just need yourself. As I wrote above as well, T5 Druids should the write go in, will have the knowledge from the vision given that they are able to do this. Don't see it being a problem of it being knowledge locked with the amount of T5 Druids there are. 

Mending - I can gauge with others like I said!

As for Grasping, again, I am under the impression and guidance that any buffing of it would not get passed - as when it was originally written, restrictions were given on emote count, movement, and expiration. Perhaps a compromise can be made where it is turned into an enchantment, rather than its own ability, but even then I see it as obsolete given how it was hardly, if ever, used.