PROCUREMENT OF A MYTHICAL RELIC | KRUGIN KARGE

Greener

PROCUREMENT OF A MYTHICAL RELIC
THE KRUGIN TARGE

The 23rd of Owyn’s Light 1920

Spoiler

On behalf of the Canonist Church and the Pontifical Estate, I hereby announce the recovery and translation of the Krugin Targe. This item is a notable relic of Adunian origin reclaimed by the Pontifical Estate during the Schism War centuries ago, but the full story of such a relic was not understood until recently due to its inconspicuous nature. 

For centuries, the shield had been left in the pits of our pontifical reliquary, overlooked for other religious items of import, before one of our chamberlains noticed that it possessed a thin, fine script that sheds enormous light onto one of the eras depicted in our holy Scroll of Gospel. 

With the help of Balianese Harrenite scholar, Mr. Theobert Napier of the Royal Balianese Academy, we present these findings to the Canonist world, eager to share the account of Antero, witness to the legendary duel between Harren, son of Horen, and Krug.

Vice-Chancellor, Teodosio Cardinal Tyria

7fUPn96aL_M_wE-lvQcj5fDH5JbgrSRd_eQdxW6HAtsHSt6xqACvd820v895MqFVSrPl_LFwO_rdlsunTftfgrWPt3ibnXEZ80CJP-t_6E-U-p8E9EiZFnQIUlEPLhP00NhMwmHWdW4C0gC1J5hM3ck

The Krugin Targe is a High Adunian targe found at the base of the River Petra. The shield is marked with Old Harrenite script in rings around its center, separated into three sections by rings of iron. It details the Krugin Kohde, a saga of Harren’s lieutenant Antero of Alduun, who claims to be one of many bystanders in the desert of Kramoroe that bore witness to Harren and Krug’s mythical duel.

THE OUTER RING

The words of Antero, rider of Alduun, the son of Garavion and Ealasaid Elfblood:

Here I carve my witness of the kingly deeds of Harren Horenson and his sorrow at Kramoroe. On that day I ought have died. Therefore let this targe be set upon my breast, that I may plead my long life worthy before God and my shade not rise to trouble my kin.

Our kingdom was the mightiest in the four corners. We rode on swift and handsome Wildewynne steeds. Their like shall never be seen again, for they were the grandchildren of those made when the world was new.

All things are as such in our time. We are the children and grandchildren of those who came first. Our king kept the richness of those days in his heart, yet he raged too greatly at their loss.

Ever we mourned the death of the Horen Allfather, who was struck down by the thralls of Krug, the King of Orcs. We still reckon our years from that kinslaying. It is the word of my sire that then, with thunder, the heavens were set to their turning.

Our king mourned Horen Allfather greatest among us, for that King of Man was his trueborn father. 

The soul of Harren Horenson felt all things as such. He mourned greater than any man, and made merry greater as well. He had the richness of the world in him and the blood of the prophet.

Therefore we rode our steeds out of the mother of forests into Kramoroe, where Horen Allfather once ruled.  Our king would take no weregild for that loss. We had reaped our payment from the necks of Krug’s folk for many years, and here their last stronghold brooded upon the bones of our forefathers.

The greenfolk rambled and raced riot in the roads before us. We ran them down as a steed tramples on the turf, and we took back the tall towers of Aemon and Daemon. My heart reveled in the rightness of it. There was revenge for Horen Allfather.

Many fastnesses had fallen in our foray into this land, and never before had the King of Alduun forsook the feasting and mirth of plunder. But he did not drink with us on that day. He was dreadful and deft-handed, delighting in the deaths of our foes. His eyes sought not for plunder but only for his uncle, the murderer of his father.

So we took no more drink, and we left off our ransack and the reckoning of riches. Few watchmen were set over what we had won. Harren Horenson took up his hammer, and with our host he rode to the leanest length of the land of Kramoroe, where two seas crashed upon the crags and howled at the heavens.

THE MIDDLE RING

There was Krug Brother-Butcher, who we beheld as twice the bulk of any orc. Our king was not the tallest of Horen’s line, yet he was the loftiest among us and the liveliest of soul.

But here between the edges of the seas, the great soul of Harren Horenson went out of him. I am not wise enough to say what that sight meant. But in my mind I have called it the sorrow of Kramoroe which I hew upon this targe. Let my telling be true before God, that my shade may not rise: 

The King of Alduun came down off his steed and brought his hammer up in a threat, and beckoned for his uncle to come forth.

The King of Orcs laughed at him, and the last of his orc-fighters glared ahead and shoved each other, wishing to witness this kingly clash. The men of our side did as well, though we more worried than them.

The Orc-King said to him “Harren Atheling, well-done! You’ve thrown back my warbosses and wrecked this old waste. You are come many years from whetting my weapons while I wiped out the imps of the Great Liar, many more from carrying my water and roasting my rations. Is this the day you become the hero Horen was?”

Our king was filled with rage. Many times we had seen this with great dread, but on this night we grieved and were sorrowful. Once the rage of Harren Horenson had seemed to us the rage of the old days, the anger put into our hearts at the start of things. But now he faced Krug the Kinslayer, son of the first man, who had fought the Great Liar and lived before the reckoning of years. Yet our king was not dismayed, and even today I still love him for this.

The King of Alduun cried out “You speak his name as a brother and a man of his household, even as you stand upon his spilled blood. It was in this land he fell unfairly to your thralls. To kill the Father of Man in his sleep! You have no honor.”

Now Krug King-Killer’s soul awoke before us, and we saw the rage which once struck down the Great Liar. He said to our king “Since that bad chance I have not trusted the work of a thrall. Yet the dishonor is not mine, but my brother’s, for he fell to mere harriers sent only to drive him to me. The missed glory of that fight is still fixed in my mind.”

Our king hefted his hammer, and spake “And mine as well, for my father ought’ve bested you, had you a shred of honor. Now that glory is my birthright; come and give it to me, thief.”

Now Krug shifted to a bearing of battle and steadied his stance. His soul awoke before us, for his rage had once struck out at the Great Liar. He spread his shoulders wide and spoke to our king “It can only be taken.” With a snarl, he continued on. “Have you the strength? The last we had sparred, in your father’s war camp, you trembled like a boy, Harren Atheling.”

And Harren Horenson returned “This is no spar.” He spat into the sea, and ran forth.

They fought a fearsome fight.

THE INNER RING

The sand was slick and the shine of the moon was only a sliver, yet these kingly two did not stumble or slip. They both struck out with the wrath of years, as do wolves of the same father.

Now I must carve what I have feared to say in my life, and have dreaded all these days to put upon my death-targe. Yet I cannot carry this knowledge into the endlessness of death.

Thrice was Harren Horenson overcome, and thrice he ought have died as well as I. Yet the Orc-King stayed his own spear, or it seemed that he could not strike true. His soul had tired before his strength. It seemed as such to me, but I could not ask the other men, even in the seasons since.

Each time, the kings split and slammed each other back into the hordes of their own men, and their speech was that of spiteful sorrow.

The Orc-King said “You have my brother’s bearing, but not his soul! There is more of me in you, for I taught you this bloody way. Horen, his heart suffered even at the slaughter of imps! I do not know whether to slay you or slap you on the back.”

And this first time, the King of Alduun did not speak, but only grunted and spat blood into the sea.

The second lull it seemed that Krug was sullen, and nearly showed his neck to Harren Horenson. But he did not. Instead he said “I am glad almost, to see your father’s face upon you, for now I see it full again but for those few bruises. Last I saw that face, ‘twas choked and bloodless; the neck of my goodly brother girded with goblin’s gripping hands.” He shuddered, uttering “It’s all I’ve known these nights, since my spotters spied your coming. Yet now I know it anew.”

Harren Horenson was truly roused. He ripped at his raiment and raved, heaving his hammer hand “I wish that I should say the same, but there is nothing of my father’s fairness in your face. It has the fangs of a beast!”

Now they tore at each other with such might and hate, it seemed as if the stars would slip from the sky. The men of both sides shrank between the cleaving of the kings and the cresting of the sea-swells. Kramoroe would sink before one threw down the other, and the kings were cast back at last.

Our king called out, his mood calmed, “I may’ve little of my father’s friendly heart, yet still enough to forgive his brother for his sake. Soon his ruling wreath will rest upon my brow, and I will wash your wounds in holy waters, if only you will swear that you rued his killing.”

But Krug shook his head, for he did not believe such a thing could ever be. He ran forth into the fray and for the third time he nearly felled our king. Yet again, Krug could not help but stay his own hand, and he growled at the King of Alduun, “My hands are stained with blood now, and I have only blood to wash them! I will not swear I rue his killing, but only how it was done. Curse my foe-hearted thralls! Gladly I would have bested Horen, but only in the honor of such a feud as this. Surely our father’s Maker could not–”

This time Harren Horenson did not wait. He brought his hammer down upon the throat of Krug the Kinslayer, his own uncle. His body fell into a ravine, and Kramoroe was won, and the sorrow was finished.

This is the witness of Antero of Alduun, be it true before God. Let me be reckoned worthy.

Spoiler

OOC: Thanks to @VIROSand @Cracker for this refreshing piece of lore

"Krug?" an orc raised a brow, though after seeing it was an irrelevent missive to orcs, he tossed it away

Kor'garr the Clanless, at first merely curious upon the historical finding, snarls harshly in rage. A nearby stack of paper gets hurled into crackling flames as crimson eyes widen, bloodshot vessels nearly glowing from the Skriptgoths anger.

"Dey kleym azh mere humie vlatted KRUG? Wyth diz BLAZPHEMY?" Bellows of snarled curses echo from the front towers of San'Velku as an incredibly offended grey orc barely resists ripping the Vice-Chancellor's announcement into shreds of thin kindling. Harsh footsteps recede from the tower and instead approach the Keep of San'Velku, where many are assembled against the impending threat of spider worshippers and voidal mages.

"OI REX! PEEP THYS DIZREZPEKT VRUM DAH ZOGGYNG 'UMIE CHURCHIZ!" The paper is slammed down in front of the throne for all of the Clan Moot to observe.

Spoiler

@AfroJoeTheOlogBro @DrunkPapaBear @Sewer_Rat

Yeah... This will probably be mentioned in the Kaktuz Weekli. Looking forward to the RP!

"Yuz, this right here iz bullzkah" Targoth Kuvirr said, pointing at the paper "Dumb shâra making things up, he kould start being smart and reach out to his ancestors to ask for the true story - oh wait... they kan't, their ancestors are long gone! Eternally lost, only reached through Buurz-Mojo."

In the west, the Adunic Warlord, Tar-Uriel brushes many spiders off his desk as he read on, a tired smile wearing upon his face. Slowly but surely, he begin penning a letter...

armoria_2022-10-24-06-53-55.thumb.png.4057201f6ec6f28893a1d862659f4b18.png

FROM THE KINGDOM OF THE BARROWLANDS

border.png

It gladdens me to see writ for all, one of the better deeds of my ultimate predecessor and progenitor, Harren the Conqueror, that being the slaying of the Orc-King Krug, in the time before Harren's own descent into decadence, complacency, and treachery. Verily! Let it mark well, and be a warning sign to me and my own, that even a great warrior such as he would wane into great depths, should he be lacking in virtue. Let it remind also of the dreadful sorrow and cycle that is that of a kinslayer, ever bound to strike upon their own in seeking retribution. Even when it is justified, it should never be done gladly.

On behalf of me and mine, I express thanks to Master Napier and his Eminence, the Cardinal Teodosio Tyria. When our holy church is no-longer in the throes of mourning, I petition to see this Targe in person, that to look upon a piece of mine own people's history, I also petition that I might hold it in display for mine folk, when such a time as we are no longer at war. Failing that, I will be satisfied with seeing it.

border.png

His Majesty by the Grace of God Tar-Uriel

King and Protector of the Adunians, Lord of the Barrowlands, Chieftain of the Faithful Harren’hil, Templar of Archangel Michael, and Knight of the Realm

"Whub da zkah is even that?" A old uruk spoke, reading the missive.

"Horen the coward was killed because mine father did nub want him to wither away. As for Krug being dead.. HURHURHUR!" A guttural laugh erupted from the halls of San'Velku.

"Zkah.. them lessers grow funnier with every century that pass. Their memory fades with every generation."

"Wait till they realise that all their worship for the fake god empower the spirits.. HURHURHUR!"

An olog would have the missive read out to them “DEY TUUK WUB FRUM KRUG?!” He would exclaim before eating the missive “Dey zur ‘Ave sum tasti papur zo mabi mi cud let diz azh zlide.”

"Stolen valour,"  the orc frowns. "Shara speak of good-will and virtue yet affirm ignorance by spitting in the face of those who still live with brazen lies. No uruk has ever heard of Horren, nor a Krug without axe, Shamanism, and honor. 

The wounds of Horen's mercy killing run deep.  Truth and the urukim will prevail even if Horen's cubs have yet to learn from their krankluk's cowardice." 

2 hours ago, MalchediaelVult said:

In the west, the Adunic Warlord, Tar-Uriel brushes many spiders off his desk as he read on, a tired smile wearing upon his face. Slowly but surely, he begin penning a letter...

armoria_2022-10-24-06-53-55.thumb.png.4057201f6ec6f28893a1d862659f4b18.png

FROM THE KINGDOM OF THE BARROWLANDS

border.png

It gladdens me to see writ for all, one of the better deeds of my ultimate predecessor and progenitor, Harren the Conqueror, that being the slaying of the Orc-King Krug, in the time before Harren's own descent into decadence, complacency, and treachery. Verily! Let it mark well, and be a warning sign to me and my own, that even a great warrior such as he would wane into great depths, should he be lacking in virtue. Let it remind also of the dreadful sorrow and cycle that is that of a kinslayer, ever bound to strike upon their own in seeking retribution. Even when it is justified, it should never be done gladly.

On behalf of me and mine, I express thanks to Master Napier and his Eminence, the Cardinal Teodosio Tyria. When our holy church is no-longer in the throes of mourning, I petition to see this Targe in person, that to look upon a piece of mine own people's history, I also petition that I might hold it in display for mine folk, when such a time as we are no longer at war. Failing that, I will be satisfied with seeing it.

border.png

His Majesty by the Grace of God Tar-Uriel

King and Protector of the Adunians, Lord of the Barrowlands, Chieftain of the Faithful Harren’hil, Templar of Archangel Michael, and Knight of the Realm

A public response is penned to the King of the Barrowlands,

To the most esteemed King of the Barrowlands,

It is with deepest reverence and humblest submission that I take pen to parchment to address your inquiry regarding the venerable relic that depicts the fabled duel between your illustrious ancestor, Harren, and the the father of the uruk people, Krug. I would be remiss if I did not express my profound admiration for your own legend and feats of glory.

You are a shining exemplar of a noble monarch, a model of wisdom, chivalry, and piety in these turbulent times. Your unwavering commitment to the precepts of faith and your unflinching defense of your people's liberty and well-being are truly an inspiration to all who seek to follow in the footsteps of a true warrior.

As Vice Chancellor of the Canonist Church, it is my sincerest desire to provide your Majesty with the fullest measure of erudition and guidance, and to do so in a manner most pleasing unto the eyes of the Almighty.

It is my most holy duty to inform you that while we are most delighted to grant your noble people access to the aforementioned relic, it is our most solemn obligation to rectify any and all misapprehensions regarding the duel, however well-intentioned they may be. Indeed, the Canonist Church upholds the tale of the Krugin Targe as the only veritable account of the fateful encounter, for it provides profound evidence as to why Harren will march alongside Horen in the final days of our existence.

Your venerable ancestor, and Horen's eldest son, Harren, was a complex and troubled figure, burdened by the weight of his father's murder and the bitter memories of his homeland's loss. Although his actions later were undoubtedly regrettable and unbecoming of a pious ruler, we must recognize that Harren was driven by a fierce determination to reclaim what he saw as his birthright and to avenge the wrongs that had been inflicted upon his family.

Unlike his brothers, who chose to turn a blind eye to the injustices that had been done to them, Harren bravely took up the mantle of his family's cause and fought with all his might to reclaim his rightful place in the world. In this regard, his legacy is one of great fortitude and sympathy and we must strive to remember him not only for his failings but also for his many noble qualities and accomplishments.

Yet, it is imperative to note that the cherished policy of the Canonist Church must be held inviolate, and we must avow that the notion that Krug was slain in the duel is a grave error. According to our most venerable records, Krug lived long beyond the reign of Horen, Harren, and even Owyn, and although he, by this account, seems to have lost the duel to your most illustrious ancestor, he survived the ordeal and can only be imagined as emerging a transformed figure, purged of some of his innate pride and untamed ferocity that had led him to wage such a fratricidal warfare against the humans.

It is evident, at least from the account of the Krugin Targe, that Krug lost the duel not due to a lack of martial prowess, but rather due to some desire of atonement for his previous transgressions against his own kind. Nevertheless, that should not dismiss Harren of a certain courage in confronting his father's killer when few else would.

Krug and Harren's depictions by Antero are a reminder to us all that even the greatest of our foes can be redeemed, and that forgiveness and compassion are the hallmarks of our faith, and why Krug will walk with Horen and even Harren in the final days.

With all this said, it is with great eagerness and anticipation that we await the opportunity to reveal this sacred relic to the people of Barrowton, so that they too may take pride in their noble heritage and the illustrious deeds of their forefathers.

And who knows, if the High Pontiff-elect deems it fit, perhaps the relic may one day be turned over to your royal custody, serving as a symbol of the enduring friendship and mutual respect that exists between our great nations, and a shining testament to the unyielding spirit of the holy Canonist Adunians.

May the blessings of the Exalted be upon you and your noble people, most reverent King.

With deepest piety and respect, The Vice Chancellor of the Canonist Church.

"Such lies..." Muttered a creature, resembling all but a massive Red Uruk in body. "Mortal nature, to hide deir weaknezz behind ah facade of false superiority... Krug is still alive, ah Godlike being of the Spirit Realm. Ahm sure if he knew of such slander on his name, he would command ah rightful Religious Crusade."