Which Tense Do You Roleplay In?

The King Of The Moon

Which Tense Do You Roleplay In?  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Which Tense Do You Roleplay In?

• Past Tense
    • Present Tense
    • Other (replied to this thread)

This is probably self explanatory, though having recently made the switch from present to past tense in my action emotes I'm curious to see both which style of writing is actually more popular as well as people's reasons for using either. 

I prefer past tense because it reads like a story or a retelling of one's actions. Adds to the immersion

for me it depends on the character, since i've slowly moved from past to present tense, but sometimes for those longer emotes it works out

The most common word I use to start an emote is "would" so, I'm mostly in past tense. but in [!] emotes its all present.    

I try and alternate between both sometimes, but I'm definitely more comfortable/inclined toward past tense. Both from people who mentored me in RP writing in past tense, and a lot of my favoured literature authors also writing in past tense. It's defo the one that feels more natural for me

I hate using past tense in emotes for a reason stated above. 'Reads like a story' -- I don't want to feel like I am writing a novel when I'm roleplaying, and I have just always been programmed that typing 'would' at the start of an emote is wrong (HL2RP GMod servers...)

While I have nothing against those who do write in other tenses (except maybe future tense, other than extenuating circumstances..)

I prefer past tense mostly because I think that my emotes sound and feel better that way, and it feels more like a story.

7 minutes ago, ThatFunkyBunch said:

I switch between both myself depending on the situation

Same

1 minute ago, Traveller said:

i am different and above all of you

i use future tense

(not a joke)

You will be one of the first to be culled during the rapture.