9.0 Your View - Building on Roads

itdontmatta

Road Rules  

388 members have voted

1. 1. Restrict building on roads?

• Yes
    • No

I believe that building along the roads is a great way to produce roleplay. If someone wants to throw up a lair right next to the road or a nation wants to allow a vassal to build some village on the side of the road, that should be fine. Players are able to see people roleplaying in these small roadside communities and choose to interact if they wish. 

A problem occurs when the roads are actively blocked. Under no circumstances, should the main international road(s) be blocked off or built ON. If someone wants to be next to a main road, that's fine, but there shouldn't be built on top of the road or blocking it in ANY way. If a nation chose to create an aesthetic addition to the main road in their tiles, it should not have any applications to block the flow of traffic(i.e.. a bridge shouldn't have a gate).

I've always been in favor of freebuild maps, and building far away from roads feels like eliminating potential for a lot of very interesting rp. (Guilds, caravans etc.) I'm in favor of letting people build on roads full force, as long as they meet build requirements. Seriously, freebuild might not seem as clean but the rp potential is wonderful in my experiences from Atlas and I'd like to see it again.

Whoever owns the land/tile can do whatever they want with the roads running through it. If you try to restrict nations from actively utilizing their location then you just bring us back to the untouchable Ring Road BS. By all reports traffic doesn't even flow out from hubs next map, so there should be no issue of far settlements being blocked out. If a group decides to block off their owned section of the highway then open up an alternative route and divert traffic that way, simple as.

In short,
GO AROUND.

I personally think that allowing nations/groups to build on the roads to their main settlement is fine. Of course, there should be a set design of rules about whether or not the quality of what been placed there is actually worth being pasted in. Preventing settlements having gates/toll booths/security checks around main roads leading to their settlements isn't worth it. 

I can only see more people once the early new map hype dies down, then attempting to modify rules on building. 

A nation should be allowed to build on, over, or under any part of their land, including roads. If a roadblock is made, either find a way through it or go around. Walls surrounding an entire nation would fall under unrealistic landscars and would be removed. Therefore, anyone can just go around it. Those who think you can't are like the bad guys in Blazing Saddles, disrupted by a toll booth in the middle of the desert.

Allowing building on, over, and under roads fosters interaction, fosters communication, fosters compromise, fosters exploration, and fosters a sense of sovereignty within your own lands.

It seems like we are thinking about this topic too deeply. Aegis had one road with no restrictions and multiple nations located adjacent to the roads such as Renatus which had some of the best roleplay you could've asked for because it quite literally was always populated. Dwarves had a road branching from King's Road but it was not too far of a walk. You could go from Al'Khazar to Laurelin, which were at opposite ends of the road, in the matter of 5 minutes. This right here is what made LotC popular. The more we space ourselves out, the less chance we have to roleplay with each other.

All I can say is PLEASE do not make roads longer than they need to be. One of the main issues with the current map is the amount of time it takes to travel to each nation which I guess is realistic but it is not conductive to roleplay.

PS Bring back an area for freebuild. That was half the fun of Aegis and promotes RP more than it is credited. 

the real question is, looking at next map, what even are the main roads 

I think some people are confused, you are allowed to build taverns next to roads currently. The poll is for if nations are allowed to block roads to my understanding. 

Building on roads should never happen

1 hour ago, Burnsider said:

A nation should be allowed to build on, over, or under any part of their land, including roads. If a roadblock is made, either find a way through it or go around. Walls surrounding an entire nation would fall under unrealistic landscars and would be removed. Therefore, anyone can just go around it. Those who think you can't are like the bad guys in Blazing Saddles, disrupted by a toll booth in the middle of the desert.

Allowing building on, over, and under roads fosters interaction, fosters communication, fosters compromise, fosters exploration, and fosters a sense of sovereignty within your own lands.

you guys act like you don't have sovereignty over your own lands every single time a conversation about nation/land comes up despite nations having complete jurisdiction over literally every "do-and-dont build on my land" on their tiles OOCly and have the ability to bar the RP that happens there on a whim

it fosters nothing but a needless inconvenience for the dude trying to get from point A to point B but is forced to take an off-road detour because nations are so obsessed with prioritizing their metropolis RP hub over the average joes just trying to get somewhere. nobody is gonna see that they have to go off-roading and be like "wow this is such an interactive explorative experience" they're gonna be confused and think its annoying and groan every time it happens because the activity hub blocking their path couldn't tolerate just being 50 blocks away from the main road

If it on their tile, they should be able to do whatever they want with it. Nobody is railroading (no pun intended) players to use the roads and roads alone for travel. Its not like there's barrier blocks preventing you from taking  a rout that doesn't even have a path or road. So, if a nation is build over or on a road, and you don't want to go through or happen to be blocked, there's nothing stopping you from going around. Who knows, maybe you'll find something cool in the wilderness when you delve into it because you didn't take the road. Sometimes not taking the road might even be faster to your destination. Just learn how to parkour up mountain faces and effectively swim through large bodies of water. It's really not that hard.

The people have been asking for roadside taverns for 5 years....

I think building should be fine on the roads as long as it's not a settlement/Nation building a city or town on it example being places like aaun/Adria and celianor.

Spoiler

Those nations are just ones iv seen at least.

But if it's things like farms or little structures I think those would be alright.

The people have been asking for roadside taverns for 5 years.