9.0 Your View - Building on Roads

itdontmatta

Road Rules  

388 members have voted

1. 1. Restrict building on roads?

• Yes
    • No

Giving players more autonomy provides a more dynamic map. The ability to create strategic chokepoints shouldn't be suppressed. As for roadside taverns, seems like something that could be solved by speaking with a nation and getting territory.

There was at least two roadside taverns this map on either side of Eastfleet that had brief lifespans. One died due to internal politics/banditry and other just didn't have a committed group to run it for an extended period of time. If there is such a constant demand for tavern RP then some people really need to step up and stick to it (it's a proven recipe for having consistent rp if maintained, people just typically get bored of running it). Merchant Caverns etc always end up becoming inactive and dead.

9 hours ago, Orlanth said:

If they own the land then let them do whatever they want. Anything short of this is an unnecessary restriction of roleplay.

However, for those of you concerned about roadblocks, I've devised what I feel is a solution that works perfectly and can be adapted by everyone.

Reveal hidden contents

roadmap.png

There is absolutely no need to argue, Orlanth said it perfectly. He's just that guy. 

roadblocks are still roleplay

if you are worried about roadblocks then have carts at the start of the map

let people chose if they want to either pay the toll, pay the cart, or take their chances walking

when did lotc become a hug simulator

if people would rather rp in roadside taverns and other establishments, so be it. 

forcing people to rp in nations for activity check shit made our current map really stale, it should be on the nations to attract players to rp there with events, etc. and if they fail to do so, maybe they shouldn't be a nation anymore.

If you're going to give us bigger maps that require horses to travel quickly, then don't restrict roads. You're already limiting our RP time by causing us to spend more of our playtime travelling via horse on needlessly long roads (This map hasn't been so bad), but to then enable people to build blockages that cause us to get off our horse, put it away, move through the blockage, and then resummon our horse is even more of a waste of time and extremely frustrating.

I think more buildings on the side of roads is great. They provide RP hubs much closer to spawn that invites random encounters and interactions by players roaming in search of RP, and are much easier to gravitate to rather than some random Nation that only has vague signs pointing towards it, and takes 3-5x longer to locate - only to then find no RP in the Nation anyhow.

My suggestion would be permitting road-building in the time of war, if this is not already a thing. Blockages and checkpoints would only add to the intensity and protective measures of a Nation in the middle of a war, and adds to the overall immersion of a Capital preparing their defenses. This would be welcome.

15 hours ago, itdontmatta said:

If a nation gets their activity cut off by a road that goes through another nation, then it should be dealt with in rp

"Could I get pro perms to destroy your road blockade in rp?"

"No."

Why continue allowing region owners (exclusively) to hide behind OOC rules if roleplay and player agency is the intention of this change?

Giving tile owners more control over players without also guaranteeing players the chance to respond doesn't make sense.

also "RP-diplomacy" lol get real

as my first issue within moderation that showed bias from orenian moderators and orenian world team members, the issue must be rectified purely on an issue of righting wrongs. Do not allow building upon roads.

If it is found that this solution is no longer viable, do as suggested and reassess at the three month point. 

restrict building on main roads and permit construction on secondary roads, initially trails that branch off the main road; it is lovely to see endearing little inns and interesting structures while strolling along the main road. However, if their roads are within a nations tile, let em treat them however they please

2 hours ago, Amayonnaise said:

If you're going to give us bigger maps that require horses to travel quickly, then don't restrict roads. You're already limiting our RP time by causing us to spend more of our playtime travelling via horse on needlessly long roads (This map hasn't been so bad), but to then enable people to build blockages that cause us to get off our horse, put it away, move through the blockage, and then resummon our horse is even more of a waste of time and extremely frustrating.

I think more buildings on the side of roads is great. They provide RP hubs much closer to spawn that invites random encounters and interactions by players roaming in search of RP, and are much easier to gravitate to rather than some random Nation that only has vague signs pointing towards it, and takes 3-5x longer to locate - only to then find no RP in the Nation anyhow.

My suggestion would be permitting road-building in the time of war, if this is not already a thing. Blockages and checkpoints would only add to the intensity and protective measures of a Nation in the middle of a war, and adds to the overall immersion of a Capital preparing their defenses. This would be welcome.

tf are you getting off your horse for? if there's no person there stopping you, just keep riding. if there is someone there, then gg you've found rp.

and like if you hate following endless turn-offs to get to nation capitals, why wouldnt you want capitals to be on the road? the whole reason they're always at the end of long-roads and turn-offs is exactly because they aren't allowed to build on roads. the one time a town was let actually go on a road this map was with adria and it hit like 16% activity.

iHiu53R.png

11 hours ago, Borin said:

death to america

This so much this!!!

Edited by sami03

1 hour ago, sami03 said:

iHiu53R.png

This so much this!!!

can u make an argonian wojack for me

my avi already has the gaping mouth

Just have CT be actually isolated and let nations decide roads by themselves I say

Don't gotta be that deeply thought about