IRP Controversies Into OOC?

Franczhiz

IRP CONTROVERSY  

84 members have voted

1. 1. IRP Controversies, do they come from an OOC sentiment? (The controversial opinions in regards to homosexuality in the Church of the Canon, Human supremacy et cetera.)

• Yes
    • No

As many know, there are quite some IRP controversies which are often taken into OOC to debate the OOC sentiment of the person in question who holds such a controversial opinion IRP. Here I am asking the LOTC community, what do you think? Do those controversies practiced by the person IRP truly come from an OOC sentiment and perspective?

I made this post to find out the overall opinion about such given there have been quite some discussions regarding the topic that is mentioned here. 

I personally think it is biased to hold judgement against someone OOC for an IRP belief/opinion. Even if the IRP belief is contrary to your OOC belief/opinion, I would not care.

they don't need to and people who assume that people hold the same potentially 'offensive' beliefs as their character without any real proof are goofy and don't deserve their daily bread

people act like human supremacy doesn't come from ooc attitudes and then they'll go to McDonald's and order a ******* hamburger

i do believe some stuff come from an OOC standpoint. Even if the person themselves, are only doing it as a joke. But not all of it.

certainly not all but saying that people don't use RP to hide OOC animosity or supremacy shouldn't even be a debate

Find me a conflict between strangers ic, and I will find you what issue they had ooc 

yeah, I actually hate elves in real life :3

I believe you're describing a phenomenon called character bleed, which I wrote a guide on a while back here

Often I think these OOC debates stem from a lack of communication between players: if a type of RP is uncomfortable (such as, for instance, IRP homophobia), then that should be discussed as a boundary; but it should never be presumed that the player shares the same values as their character. I also think that when a player is uncomfortable with roleplay and doesn't trust the other player, they will project that discomfort not on the scenario, but on the other person.

motherfuckers will fr say the most abhorrent, specific, targeted nasty things in rp and be like "yh but i dont even know what a racism is"

From the examples you gave, I would say no. Fundamentally though, the answer is yes in that obviously any Roleplay choice made is the choice of the player to Roleplay in that way. The key difference is that people need to make a judgement on separating Roleplay from OOC.

I think it's certainly a far too prevalent problem that people will justify their character goals and actions based off of OOC, and although I like to presume this doesn't relate to topics like their characters being explicitly oppressive of other groups, I do think it sometimes begs questioning if someone can't separate a minecraft war from genuine OOC vitriol, are they mature enough to separate their other Roleplay?

I'm with critter that you need to presume people aren't acting on OOC vitriol, and I'd go further to say it is fundamentally just as much OOC projection to accuse someone of acting OOCly to justify not responding to their Roleplay normally as it is to act OOCly in the first place.

human supremacy yes

dwarf/elf/orc supremacy no

i will not elaborate any further 

As someone that is part of the alphabet mafia, I already deal with this out the server i don't wanna deal with it in the server. I don't think it should be prohibited, I don't like it, i've been there, gone through that, but situations like that happen, and the answer is almost always communication.

You are allowed to speak and want out of a situation you don't want to be a part of, as Critter said, safety before immersion. 

Edited by DistantCryprid
Letter coloring to make the text easier to read.

Speaking as a player who's lead Human Supremacist groups in the past. The most important part is ensuring to weed out the people who join as a result of OOC resentment. There can certainly be bad actors who wish to project OOC prejudice in character, a lot of people also simply wish to roleplay a character which does hold certain prejudice as they feel that's what their character would believe in. To restrict people roleplaying as characters who hold wrongful opinions is an over-reach. Although it certainly isn't easy to find out who roleplays with OOC prejudice or not. 

There are definitely people who use rp as an excuse to express ooc bigotry in a way they would be too scared to irl. I remember years ago there was a primarily human group with a focus on human supremacy that also just happened to especially target dark elves while calling those dark elves an rl slur for black people. Then there are people who play bigoted characters and are actually quite nice ooc. I've played with both and usually the person playing bigoted character for pure rp reasons do to try to add some humor to water it down since that rp can really be rough while the bigoted person will usually tell their victim to just suck it up since it is only rp.

Now for situations like the multitude of cultures that decided to include eugenic, homophobic, or racist ideology? I do side-eye them. Back in the day people used to explain away the amount of homophobia across the vast majority of ic cultures as being a part of the medieval history. This isn't history. Much less medieval history. If you wanted to make that sort of culture because you thought it was interesting then fine, but if you bring up the history argument on a fantasy server I am going to judge you.

Edited by Snelfma