A Disrupted Retirement [The Aftermath]

Javert

Spoiler

Previous post: 

A DISRUPTED RETIREMENT

b5dfa9b8391fc2c2074bf34753611c7a.png?wid

Ser Chadvik ‘The Bold’ in his forge, c. 125.

It was a normal day for the grizzled war veteran of Cahir. He had a few new armor commissions to work on, so there was little time to relax as Ser Chadvik arose from his creaky bed and donned his blacksmithing gear. As he walked into the forge the veteran knight noticed that his apprentice was nowhere to be found, and he heaved a heavy sigh.

Late again, Francizek.” Ser Chadvik grumbled to himself as he ignited his forge and took to hammering. While long ago Ser Chadvik was unsure if he would enjoy his smithing hobby, it quickly became more than just that - it became his new lifestyle. Of course he had tried other jobs such as training new recruits, overseeing construction, and other administrative jobs befitting a knight - but they all frustrated him quickly. The only thing that he truly enjoyed in this era of peace and stability was that of his clanging hammer upon newly smelted metal.

Behind the knight came a pair of footsteps. Assuming that his Apprentice had finally arrived - and his Father who often had to drag him there - Ser Chadvik did not bother to look up from his work.

Francizek, put on your apron. We have work to do-”

Ser Chadvik” came an unfamiliar voice, prompting the Knight to turn around. Before him stood two armored men - armor of the Royal Guard. Ser Chadvik quickly extinguished his forge, placed down his hammer, and placed his full attention upon the two men.

Gentlemen. To what do I owe the pleasure of two Guardsmen in my forge?” Ser Chadvik examined the two men, both seeming to be in their early thirties. He assumed that they were perhaps the more experienced men of His Majesty’s guard.

His Majesty the King has requested your presence at the Royal Court. Don your armor.” Without another word the two guardsmen turned and exited, leaving Ser Chadvik confused. Nonetheless a Royal request was a Royal request and Ser Chadvik made haste in going forth to retrieve his armor.

05d92132d67838a4595bbcabfcc6b6f3.png?wid

The royal court of New Roza, Cahir.

Ser Chadvik stood at the sides of the throne room in his scratched and battle-tested armor, his gaze upon the crowd. As he awaited the King’s entry the Knight was approached from his left by none other than his Apprentice who had been missing all morning.

Ser Chadvik!” the boy said excitedly. Francizek was a young child, only 10 when he had become Ser Chadvik’s apprentice and now a boy of 12. Ser Chadvik glanced down at the boy with an unamused expression.

Where was such enthusiasm when coming to the forge this morning?” Ser Chadvik replied, the boy pausing for a moment before responding. “Father said the Royal Court was today, so he told me to come.” Ser Chadvik sighed and motioned for Francizek to stand at his side, Francizek enthusiastically doing so.

Suddenly the blair of trumpets sounded off through the hall. King Armitage, his wife Queen Dani, and Crown-Prince Andrzej filed in and took their respective thrones as the King’s voice then boomed through the room.

Today’s subject, I fear, is rather grim. Our Crown has been informed that Prince Antoni and Prince Jakub, Sons of the long-imprisoned Prince Aleksy, has risen their banners in rebellion in the village of Fleurgrass.” Mutterings and chatter instantly spread through the hall though faded quickly as the King raised his hand once more. “The Crown believes it is the intention of these misguided boys to release their Father from the dungeons by storming Our Capital. I have already called for the assembly of The Crown’s loyal forces here in New Roza” King Armitage paused once more to scan the crowd and caught the eyes of Ser Chadvik, a half-smile forming on his face.

Ser Chadvik, approach.” The Knight’s heart sank. There was no question in his mind of what was going to be asked of him - yet he had hoped his previous speculations would prove to be false. Ser Chadvik approached the throne and knelt before the Royal family - his eyes not daring to meet the Monarch’s.

Your Majesty, I am at your service.” Ser Chadvik uttered as he kept his head bowed. The room was silent. The Knight could almost feel the crowd’s piercing eyes upon him. 

I do not wish to disrupt your retirement, Ser Chadvik. Nonetheless the circumstances of the realm call upon your service once more. As the only tested and seemingly competent commander within the realm, I am ordering you to take command of The Crown’s forces and bring me the heads of my traitor grandsons.”

Ser Chadvik took a deep breath. He was undoubtedly loyal to his Kingdom and its Monarch, but asking him to murder two Princes? Especially the sons of the man who had made him a knight in the first place? The Monarch cleared his throat and Ser Chadvik quickly realized he had taken too long to respond, to which he quickly rectified.

I serve The Crown, your Majesty. The rebellion will not survive the year.”

"The fire spreads.."

Murmured a Prince of another land, fighting another war.

Edited by Frymark