The Place of Capitals

Nectorist

The Place of Capitals

With the Reduction of New Vienne over the course of 1919-1921, the nearly unbroken line of over a century of continued urban settlement in the region was brought to a swift, inglorious end.

As the site of the capitals of three nations, this tract of land, which I shall hereby designate the Place of Capitals, boasted incomparable value to all other lands within Almaris. Situated on the flat, fertile plains of the Upper Petra, with ease of access both to the River Petra and the Kahaen Sea, it is no question why the Place of Capitals has consistently been the dominant hub of commerce, trade, politics, and social life in all of Almaris. It has been a place of some of the fiercest battles, greatest events, and fondest (or most hated) memories of hundreds of thousands throughout its time.

However, this period of dominance, already having sharply declined since the fall of King Frederick I of Oren, has now definitely come to an end. As the final stone of the city awaits its destruction, the Place of Capitals shall fall silent once again, just as it was when our forebears arrived upon Almaris in 1796. It is with a great reverence for the history of this great place that I, Father Blackwater, write of the four great cities of this place.

Providence

1796-1849

image.thumb.png.70272016159a7464a7f66f2bf0fe8533.png

While it cannot be said that Providence reached the heights enjoyed by the city of Helena under the reign of Peter III, its primacy upon Almaris was unmatched, which became a source of envy for the many that took to mocking it. A flourishing city, only during the reign of Philip II could it be said that Providence felt lifeless. Benefitting in great part due to the centralization programs of the Petrine Emperors, the capital of the Holy Orenian Empire became the home of culture, politics, and trade across the known world. If one were to walk down the city streets, they would hear the calls of paperboys selling the morning news, charged old men debating politics in the tavern, ISA patrols milling about, and the rush of inhabitants going about their day. Great buildings that scraped the sky loomed overhead, making the many denizens below seem like ants. Work was always said to be plenty, political activity ran high on both the local and national level, and the city was, undoubtedly, the most active and economically prosperous that Almaris has ever seen.

In the west of the city, the great Augustine Palace dominated much of Providence. As the home of courtly life, it produced scandal, intrigue, but also culture and esteemed Imperial pride. It was the home of the Imperial family, but also the location of many feasts, courts, balls, and other lavish ceremonies commonly associated with the Petrine Era. It served as the seat of the great Novellen Dynasty, where proclamations and judgements were ruled down from the lofty thrones of the Emperors and Empress that sat atop them.

One cannot define Providence by one or two iconic moments. Instead, it is a collection of memories and events that make its legacy an enduring one. One simply cannot tell the story of Almaris without first turning to Providence, that city which was once the center of it all.

NOTABLE EVENTS:

I) The Zannite Crash

Some say it was an attack, others say it was an unfortunate mishap, but a sudden explosion in the Augustine Palace, caused by the Worshippers of Janus, sparked a sudden backlash against the religious order throughout the Empire. It also caused High Pontiff Owyn III to declare a crusade against the Zannites, which inadvertently led to his own deposition. 

II) Robert’s Folly

The execution of Robert Foltest, Baron of Helvets, and the defeat of a rescue party from the rebellious Principality of Sedan outside the walls of Providence marked the definitive end of the Sedan Rebellion.

III) The Leader’s Debate

The great debate prior to the Election of 1800 between Franz Sarkozy, representing the Josephite Party, and George Kovachev, representing the Unionist Party. Between eight and nine thousand spectators eagerly watched the fiery exchange.

New Providence

1849-1870

image.thumb.png.7bf759cd8d88760340a1ed17dc3517bf.png

The Great Fire of Providence in 1848 gave Emperor Philip II ample opportunity to order a series of renovations to the City of Providence (indeed, it is whispered by many that he started the fires himself). With actual remodeling being overseen by Princess Imperial Josephine Augusta, New Providence was remodeled with the intent of finding more efficient use of the present space. Where Providence had been dominated by skyscrapers, office buildings, and the great Augustine Palace, New Providence would be more compact and intimate, allowing for a closer association between the noble and popular centers of the Empire.

While only occasionally matching the success of its predecessor, New Providence did succeed in most of its design objectives. The rationalized city square created a busy city atmosphere that concentrated much of the economic activity in the center and allowed it to disperse outwards. Small shops, forges, restaurants, and the like flourished, but political activity, having long-declined since its heights under Joseph II, continued to struggle.

An important consequence of the restructuring of the capital was the relation between the Aster Palace and the city proper, which created a strong cultural apparatus that rejuvenated the courtly prestige of the Novellens. As the court and the city occupied much of the same space, as opposed to the great distance of the Augustine Palace from Providence before it, much of the political and cultural activity in the palace spilled out onto the streets of New Providence. Although this did not spark some great blossoming as many had hoped, it did cement New Providence as the premier city on Almaris, just as its predecessor had been.

NOTABLE EVENTS:

I) The Aster Revolution

Philip and Anastasia’s march on New Providence saw them take the city mere months after its complete reconstruction. This swift, nigh-bloodless rebellion brought about the end of Philip II and ushered in the reign of Emperor Philip III and Empress Anastasia.

II) The Battle of New Providence

Once again, the fate was decided by battle in Providence. This was the site of the bitter final fight between Emperor Peter IV and his rebellious younger brother, Prince Frederick Charles, which saw the latter triumph and complete his dissolution of the Holy Orenian Empire.

III) The Execution of Prince Leopold of Sedan

Perhaps the most famous execution to take place during the Petrine Era, Prince Leopold I of Sedan’s death at the hands of Philip III marked the beginning of a renewed Imperial offensive to retake the Lower Petra. 

Vienne

1870-1882

image.thumb.png.6c7b3f6d2dda20f1b3e3ce38ad329b8b.png

The planning of Vienne, named in honor of his wife, Vivienne of Savoy, is said to have been conducted by King Frederick I of Oren himself. Wishing to firmly disassociate himself from the Holy Orenian Empire, the newly-ascendent Frederick ordered a complete remodeling and reorganization of his capital. Mostly finished by 1870, Vienne proved an able capital for the short-lived Kingdom of Oren. Following the design of New Providence far more closely than old Providence, King Frederick designed a city that, while lesser still than the two that came before it, remained the pre-eminent hub on Almaris.

Inspired by his time as Count of Mardon, King Frederick wished to recreate the clean, pristine atmosphere and strong artisan culture that he had grown accustomed to in Mardon (and that would later come to be a staple of the Commonwealth of the Petra). Hundreds of street-cleaners were hired as King Frederick meticulously strived to keep his city spotless. While a great expenditure to the royal treasury, it did make Vienne an attractive place to visit, and it was unmatched in its courts and markets.

However, the competing Acre to the north of the capital drew far too many eyes. Wishing to escape the bustle of the city, hundreds flocked to the quiet, serene woods of the Upper Petra, depriving Vienne of many of its vaunted craftsmen and artisans. With the explosion of the wine industry in Mardon in 1876, further attention was given to the rural stretches of land outside the capital, and much economic activity was redirected elsewhere. It was in part due to this stiff competition on two fronts that Vienne began to suddenly decline. Despite its staunch support for King Frederick during the War of the Silver Isles and the Harvest Rebellion, Vienne simply did not have the power to keep his place on the throne, and with his downfall came the plundering and sacking of the city. It would lay desolate for years, intentionally abandoned by the Harvest Confederation.

NOTABLE EVENTS:

I) The Battle of Vienne

The event that brought about the end of the Kingdom of Oren, and Novellen rule over the Heartlands. King Frederick I and his meager retinue was slain by the great host of Gustaf de Vilain’s Harvest Revolution.

New Vienne

1905-1921

2023-03-05_00.55.05.png

The last years of the restored Vienne, which served as the capital of the Kingdom of Aaun, proved to be a peaceful, quiet end to the once-esteemed lands of the Upper Petra. Although the center of life and commerce was divided between Minitz and Adria, New Vienne was refitted to be the seat of the House of Alstion, which took to ruling over the Heartlands in the aftermath of the fall of the Harvest Confederation. However, the Armistice of 1918 following defeat in Heinrik’s Rebellion brought the short life of the Aaunish capital to a close. The peasants of the woods were allowed to pick apart the empty city for their own use, and soon it and many of the signs of urban life around it were wholly demolished.

Father Blackwater, Bishop of Buron

image.png

((I don't know why this ^ is here. I'm not able to delete it for some reason))

13 minutes ago, Nectorist said:

III) The Execution of Prince Frederick of Sedan

Perhaps the most famous execution to take place during the Petrine Era, Prince Frederick I of Sedan’s death at the hands of Philip III marked the beginning of a renewed Imperial offensive to retake the Lower Petra. 

[!] Louis Owyn Haverlock writes a polite letter to Father Blackwater, Bishop of Buron.

Dear Father Blackwater,

The event of which you speak labels the wrong prince as being executed - My Father, Prince Frederick I of Sedan, was killed in Joannesport by a crossbow bolt rather than executed by Philip III. The Sedanian Prince that was executed in this event was actually my Grandfather, Prince Leopold I. I mean no malice in this letter, yet I felt a need to correct this otherwise harmless error.

Signed,

Louis Owyn Haverlock, secondborn son of Prince Frederick I.

6 minutes ago, Javert said:

[!] Louis Owyn Haverlock writes a polite letter to Father Blackwater, Bishop of Buron.

Dear Father Blackwater,

The event of which you speak labels the wrong prince as being executed - My Father, Prince Frederick I of Sedan, was killed in Joannesport by a crossbow bolt rather than executed by Philip III. The Sedanian Prince that was executed in this event was actually my Grandfather, Prince Leopold I. I mean no malice in this letter, yet I felt a need to correct this otherwise harmless error.

Signed,

Louis Owyn Haverlock, secondborn son of Prince Frederick I.

[!] Father Blackwater writes back to Louis Owyn Haverlock.

Dear Louis Haverlock,

I thank you for the correction. I will immediately recall these erroneous copies and have corrected ones re-issued. Even us diligent students of history may be prone to making the simplest of errors. 

Best Regards,

Father Blackwater

2 minutes ago, Nectorist said:

[!] Father Blackwater writes back to Louis Owyn Haverlock.

Dear Louis Haverlock,

I thank you for the correction. I will immediately recall these erroneous copies and have corrected ones re-issued. Even us diligent students of history may be prone to making the simplest of errors. 

Best Regards,

Father Blackwater

Louis Owyn Haverlock sends Father Blackwater a complimentary bottle of wine as thanks for the correction