The Islands of Vihai'lin; A Tennallar Tale

The Islands of Vihai’lin

The Tennallar’s Homeland

image.thumb.png.cfa39c7aa45a1afcddd1fb62a513eaf6.png

Foreword

Far, far away is said to be another Aeldenic land of High Elves - Vihai’lin, the Whispering Home. All we have are our father’s map and his stories, which he shared with my sisters Auriel, Arynn and me. If they are true - I cannot tell.

Yet, as the way to Aeldin has been closed since the dawn of the Second Age, none will truly be able to find the truth; so we can only guess, believe - or decide not to. 

ay’pueran,

Metta Tennallar

On the Whispering Home

Vihai’lin or, in common: The Whispering home is a chain of four islands in the east of Aeldin and named after the wind’s whisper caused by the unusual rock formation of the small mountain in the main islands south.

The Tennallar claim to be the ancestral rulers of the small chain, having done so since almost the dawn of time - they enjoyed peace and prosperity as traders and mariners. None ever even tried to invade them; their fleet scared off most invaders and their allies on the Aeldinic mainland did the rest to that: No other realm considered the risk worth it. Hence they enjoyed many years of prosperity, mainly due to their trading they conducted through all of Aeldin. 

Their population however was to decline abruptly, once their capital on the island now only known as the “Hollow Island” blew up in a voidal incursion, which slowly moved them into dependency of the rulers of Avir, eventually becoming their subjects.

On the City of the Eye & its people

After the large voidal explosion on the eastern island, those who survived moved to elCihi’sulii; from where they kept watch on the incursion and kept it at bay. It is not a large settlement, naming it a city a mere claim to keep alive their old glory. Largely built from white marble, orange and yellow roofs the town is a jewel regardless - designed open it is inviting for all, for the people of Vihai’lin were far less concerned about privacy than those western immigrants. Large walls were not needed due to the warm climate, so often large parts of the big, communal homes were open.

Those who dwell there are shipwrights, fishers, mariners, traders and explorers, largely of ‘aheralic descent and those of the upper class are typically well-versed in the sciences, arcane arts and other fields of knowledge. Yet unlike most other ‘aheral those who dwell within Vihai’lin and its capital usually just called Sulii are more open to others who respect their culture.

They love the sea and its starlit nights and often go out to explore - often successful yet often those who dared to try and discover new lands did not return, either they drowned, died otherwise - or they just stayed.

On the Dead Forest

The dead forest is a complete mystery - nobody knows what caused the forest to die, some say it isn’t even dead and just pretends to do so. All the inhabitants of Vihai’lin know that one night the trees lost all their leaves and the trunks became dark and dead, yet did not seem to wither fully either.

They rumor that strange shapeshifters inhabit that forest, said to be hostile to all who enter it. Others claim it is a forest-spirit, a Mani creating a large illusion over it, merely pretending to be dead; in order to prevent the people of the nearby town from cutting it down for the timber they needed to direly for their fleet.

On the Hollow Island

A cursed place which was once the Tennallar’s jewel - it is barely ever spoken of, so little is known anymore about the details of what happened and how the city there once looked like.

Yet nowadays it is a hollow empty of the life that once prospered there for many years.

Tarasynora Tennallar chuckled with her classic snarky little grin, "We all knew your maln was a bit wacky"

"How I'd wished to see the glory of Vihai'lin myself..." Talven, the youngest of the Tennallars, reminisces on the tales of their homeland taught to him by his elders.

A woman in a long black dress and seafoam cloak looks over her Mal’onn’s work. A warm, proud smile adorning her lips as she pushes her golden glasses into place, “Oh, how I miss those shores… Father’s tales at bedtime with Mother playing along…Arynn said, a sigh escaping through her nose as a sort of photo album flashed through her mind. Old memories and adventures flooding behind those sky blue eyes. 

Edited by _yink_

"I LOVE MY TALONNII!"  A Tennallar exclaimed proudly after reading the story 

The 'aheral dressed in lavender blue, suspired forming a grin on her face. "Your homeland sounds very...calm and pleasing," Her grin soon faded away. turning around she wanders off.

As she then saw a butterfly flying towards her, she extended her right palm gazing to the butterfly, "Melody from the sea, and those tales.." she scoffed a chuckled, the butterfly flew away and Llora continued forward.

9dc6bf2f79a9ef78429123719a22b048.thumb.jpg.77c55c3c4b7adb0f4cb3191b5be8fcd4.jpg

(The Butterfly landing on Llora's hand.)

(OOC: I didn't know what to say.)

"It sounds brilliant.. What a pity." Dazen commented, mostly to himself on the deck of the Tennallar's ship. 

A small, flaxen haired Tennallar daughter drifted upon the crescent court that was the talonnii household. Trailing a palm just above the water’s edge she thought on the bright and narrow histories of her newly found family. The futures felt fierce and fickle before her; she could be anything she wanted to be, sharp opportunity and grace at her finger tips and all it took was a little effort and suppliance to whatever star or dark space betwix them she chose. Such was the fragile nativity of a ambitious child..

A youth listened to the tale, the story. A ame amongst the Tennallar's as they listened with wrapt attention to the story that was filling their ears. Curious, dulled eyes glinting behind their glasses as the idly played with their chocolates while cradling their cane to their chest. Peeking at the map and listening to the tales before they found themselves quite intrigued!

"Are we going on an adventure to find this island?"