Addiction Roleplay

ThatFunkyBunch

I am going to keep this very short and simple. Due to formatting of the forums it won't be that fancy. 

Addiction Roleplay isn't something I see to often but I hear of it and hear of characters that have addictions. As an actual Addict, I wanted to make a short, persay, guide to better help those that want to roleplay it. 

I do advise as this will contain mature content, in the sense of discussion of drug use, that you tread carefully. If such topics are uneasy for you, turn back and do not proceed. 

Spoiler

I myself don't do a lot of narcotic themed roleplay anymore as is, but that should not discourage you!

Addiction comes in many forms, eating, gaming, running, etcbut for this we'll focus on the addiction to substances. These range from alcohols to narcotics like opium, or other LoTC themed 'drugs' 

Leta talk about the two kinds of addiction. Physical and mental. 

Mental addiction to a substance is common in substances such as 'Cactus Green', Tobacco, and the sort. This is an addiction to a mental affect produced from one of these substances. Not having it in the body is only mentally draining. 

Physical addiction to a substance is common in things such as Alcohol, cocaine, opium, or other similar substances. This is dangerous addiction. As what it means to be physically addicted to a substance like this is simple. Once having used the substance for so long, the body begins to become chemically dependant upon it. Without it, you begin to have withdraws. At first these are subtle. Feeling groggy, minor spasms of the body. As the addiction progresses, they turn into 'The shakes' where the person is constantly shaking, moving and twitching without the substance. At this stage of addiction, without the substance, the body can have a seizer. These can be deadly if they continue to occur. 

The effects of daily life with addiction is slow at first. It begins with using here and there. To unwind and relax. Though as one progresses, it requires more and more of the substance to achieve the 'comfortable' state. Where one feels 'normal'. This is the same for both types of addiction. As the addict progresses, it's not uncommon for everyday to turn into a constant plot of 'Where do I get my next fix'. Many might  uphold employment or function well enough to maintain a life. But the drive to get their substance is constant. They live to use it, and life revolves around it. Even if they appear to be a functioning member of society. Though behind closed doors or at social functions, they go above and beyond. 

There is also, a stage beyond this that many simply start at further into addiction. They can not function. They can not be a productive member of society. They must use constantly to even feel at peace in their skin. One is never enough and a thousand is few too many. Those in this stage will more often then not, overdose. Which can lead to death. Their life is fully unmanageable. 

Now LoTC doesn't have roleplay rehabs or twelve step programs, but recovery roleplay is simple in theory. After being winged off, characters should tackle 'why' they used over life's problems. Everyone has the same issue as them, why can't they enjoy it like others? The answer is simple. Others didn't use narcotics or substances to escape their feelings. 

That's all for now! I'm more than willing to help those that have questions. :P

Based funk!

I've always been of the belief that it's important to RP themes of mental health, addiction, mental disorders, etc with as much consideration and awareness as possible. Ofc not everything needs to be a 1:1 replica, but it's the difference between RPing a stereotype caricature and something reflective of peoples' actual lives. Taking 10 minutes to understand the behaviors of the type of affliction you RP is the bare minimum.

Always love posts like these, thanks Funky.

Good post, I think if there was a easily place new players had resources like this to understand roleplay better (rather then taking from video games/anime), it may improve the quality of RP for everyone.

kaktus green ISNT addictive bro i SWEAR bro this is INDICA not SATIVA bro its DIFFERENT