The Folly of Canondom: The Thesis of a Young Fatherist

AnonymousAlexa

The Folly of Canondom: The Thesis of a Young Fatherist

FsxPo4B.png

Penned by Hilda Ash, age 16

In the course of my tutelage under the esteemed guidance of Eyvind Kvitravn, I have extensively immersed myself in the profound tenets of the Red Faith and the teachings of the All-Father. As my understanding of my own faith has expanded, so too has my inquisitive spirit, drawing me towards the study of alternate systems of belief. Naturally, I began with a thorough exploration of the preeminent creed among the descendants: Canonism.

Upon initial examination, I could not help but discern certain similarities between these faiths. Notably, both acknowledge the existence of a divine creator who shaped the mortal realm. Moreover, the Canonists, akin to our own devotion to paragons, hold reverence for their saints. However, beyond these initial semblances, the paths of these two faiths diverge significantly, leading them on distinct trajectories.

The most salient divergence concerns the nature of the creator and the extent of his dominion over all planes of existence. Canonists maintain an unwavering belief in their god's omnipresence, asserting his sovereign watchfulness over the world in its entirety, from the celestial realm above to the depths of the netherworld. In contrast, adherents of the Red Faith deny the All-Father the exalted status of an omniscient entity. Our Faith proclaims that the All-Father reigns supreme over the heavens and our mortal realm, yet withdraws his presence from the abyss. Although seemingly a minute discrepancy in matters of doctrine, it exposes a profound flaw in the Canonist worldview. For if their god is indeed omnipotent and inherently benevolent, as the Canonists contend, then how does one explain the existence of evil in the world? The truth is, there exists no satisfactory answer. The followers of the Red Faith perceive this incongruity as evidence that the creator, the All-Father, remains absent from the abyss of malevolence. Hence, it is incumbent upon us, his children, to dutifully adhere to his precepts in exchange for his protection against the inexorable Long Dark. 

Secondly, the manner in which the Canonists venerate their ancestors pales in comparison to the practices of the Red Faith. While the Canonists hold their saints in high regard, their homage extends little beyond naming their bellicose holy orders in honor of these revered figures. On the contrary, the children of the All-Father, upon initiation into the Faith, select a patron whose influence shall shape their choices throughout life's journey. Furthermore, adherents of the flame undertake the regular act of offering oblations to their chosen patron. Consequently, the ancestors occupy a far more significant role in the lives of the All-Father's progeny.

Moreover, when exploring the realm of magic and witchcraft, a chasm of disagreement looms between the Red Faith and the Church of the Canon. The Canonists, in their tolerance, extend a measure of acceptance to those who wield magic without prostrating themselves before a distinct deity. However, such magnanimity is viewed with profound disquiet within the Red Faith. We firmly maintain that the employment of magic disrupts the delicate harmony of the natural order, for it draws its power from the sinister abyss, the abode of demons. Thus, the practice of magic inevitably engenders a burgeoning malevolence within the mortal realm, perpetuating the encroachment of evil forces. This stark contrast in perspectives further exacerbates the impassable chasm that divides our faiths, impeding any semblance of amicable coexistence.

Lastly, the proximity to the creator in the afterlife diverges between the two faiths. The Canonist doctrine maintains that the heavens are partitioned into seven ethereal spheres, forming a hierarchical structure wherein the first sky resides closest to god, while the seventh resides farthest. Within the Red Faith, we also share a similar perspective, positing that the truly devout shall forever find their place by the side of the All-Father, while others may dwell at varying distances from his presence, albeit not necessarily estranged entirely. However, the Canonists err in their belief regarding the determinants of this celestial hierarchy. Rather than suggesting that their god exclusively determines the company he keeps for eternity, the Canonists have arrogated to the High Pontiff the authority to declare only the sainted ones worthy of the highest heavens. This presents an inherent quandary, for it is not the prerogative of mortal beings such as ourselves to ascertain the rightful place of others in the afterlife. Indeed, it is beyond the purview of mortal perception.

In conclusion, it is evident that the Red Faith and the Church of the Canon do find limited common ground in their beliefs, yet these concurrences remain sparse and widely dispersed. Therefore, it becomes manifestly clear that genuine adherents of the sacred flame can never dwell harmoniously among Canonists, nor can the latter find solace within the folds of our sacred creed, as the very bedrock of our respective doctrines diverge profoundly. Nonetheless, while cohabitation remains an unattainable aspiration, coexistence is not nearly as unthinkable. Despite the profound disparities that separate us, it is not beyond reason that the Canonists possess the latent capacity to assume a pivotal role in our ceaseless struggle against the encroaching Long Dark, should they but awaken to their senses and stand in unison with their brethren, rather than persistently endeavoring to vanquish us.

signature.png

A 'ker glances at the thesis and crumples it up.

"I AIN'T readin' ALLLAT."

"A mostly accurate work." The High Keeper commented, after having briefly reviewed said work of Faith literature. "However, there is a definite lack of specification when it comes to the Father's conception, and his role within the estranged hierarchy that is the cosm."

"A few jabs could improve this."

"The Difference is we don' allow glowin' filth to roam our stree's loike is ah sunn'ay" Amelie seemed suffice with this thesis, she believed such reasoning is why Norlanders are built better

Kenswey smiles the sun's smile

Gormôhk smiled the tusked smile as he looked over the paper.

"Missing some informations about Kanon agh how he tricked Horen, but most of it ahm correct. Hosh work little norlanders."

Draco looks upon his descendent Hilda very proudly as he seats himself in his light decorative armor and casts a joyful elderly grin under the shadow of his helm.

"My great-granddaughter has a studious mind loike her old man. If she keeps up the good work she could resemble a true relic of her ancestors."

gideon ofnir (elden ring) drawn by urbanknight_art | Danbooru

"I am very proud of the work of my student, she has come far." A certain named individual states.

Baldr was in prayer as the Ash's thesis was spread around the Norlander's encampment. He glanced over the title, expecting another wedding invitation or more news of the Mori's conquest of Nyrheim, and with a smile found it was something more illuminating. He pulls a small inkwell and parchment from his travel supplies and pens the girl a response.

"Ignite the flame, our Ashen Daughter, for you shall honor your forefathers greatly and in doing so you shall Spread the Flame."

In the camps of San Luciano, Villorik var Ruthern sweated off the last of his baby fat as he assailed the scarecrow he had conscripted as his training dummy.

"Just like I promised ..." He grit his teeth as he gripped his sword in mid-guard, sweltering in the southern heat. "Mamej, papej ... I'll slaughter as many pagans it takes to earn Godan's favour, and bring my sister back!"

@PerfectlyPeachy @Demavend

"Should never have shown them mercy," remarked Andrik var Ruthern.

Frey Freysson resided within one of the many makeshift homes within 'Little Alvagard'. The dirty little encampment where the smell of the impure, hedonist, ugly, terrible, disgusting, sinful, inbred, plagued, and rot-filled Canonist air was potent, due to the location Norland like many has chosen to flee to. He picked up a copy of the thesis, looking at the title for a brief second before putting it down. He grabbed a small piece of paper and wrote on it quickly "Reminder to Self: Unsubscribe from religious newsletters."

"no." Said a Canonist King

1 hour ago, Qaz_The_Great said:

Baldr was in prayer as the Ash's thesis was spread around the Norlander's encampment. He glanced over the title, expecting another wedding invitation or more news of the Mori's conquest of Nyrheim, and with a smile found it was something more illuminating. He pulls a small inkwell and parchment from his travel supplies and pens the girl a response.

"Ignite the flame, our Ashen Daughter, for you shall honor your forefathers greatly and in doing so you shall Spread the Flame."

Hilda unfurled the letter, beaming from ear to ear as she skimmed the note's contents. Tapping her pen upon her desk in thought, she contemplated the subject of her next thesis. 

Asbjorn peers over this missive, reading it, and nodding to himself

"An interesting idea upon this religion followed by so many, were I a Canonist myself I would consider this a challenge to who I am..." 

He then chuckles to himself