[✗] [Magic Lore] - Gravity Evocation

_Grey_W0lf_

I've started work on a second version, with the fixes suggested in it.

1X0q8ywt-qr1jwiTf-yRLomGuJpyBW9F5dJddWHy

6bb98ab7b10e27afa11d50931af39ce9bf5641ca

[!] A master Gravitationist using Gravitational Field.

Note for ST

Spoiler

2 or 3 players would need to be Grandfathered into this magic so they can teach others. I would have some ideas on whom those people could be, but I'm open for suggestions if needed.

Background/Origin

For centuries, mages have been investigating the natural phenomena found around the realms. Ranging from fire and water, to air and life. Naturally this led to some geniuses among the magic societies to investigate that yet unknown and unused. Gravity was what was discovered, and the group of mages, notably the Voidstalker, questioned if it would be possible to somehow control or create using the immense power of The Void.

This Voidstalker, whom's name is lost to history, worked tirelessly on his experiments, leading to eventually find a way to create a small sphere of gravity.

He used it to experiment further, finding that he could change the polarity, making it so it either threw away or pulled things towards it.

divider-5318234_1280.png

Magic Explanation

Gravity Evocation can be learnt by anyone having a Voidal connection. Mages with access to Gravity Evocation may use their power to create both polarities of Gravity, pushing or pulling objects or people, or can even bend light to a certain degree if they’re powerful enough. This power scales up with a longer study, similarly to other Voidal evocations.

- Gravity Evocation takes [1] Magic Slot.

- Gravity Evocation can be practiced with a valid [MA], which can be obtained by learning under a mastered gravity evocationist with a valid [TA].

- Gravity Evocation requires a stable connection to the Void. 

- Gravity Evocation is a complex magic, and can only be learnt when someone already possesses [1] Voidal magic

divider-5318234_1280.png

Abilities/Spells

Abbreviation Key:

[C] = Combative

[N] = Non-Combative

[A] = Ability

Conjure Gravity [N] [T1]

Before one can use their element in combat, they need to be able to conjure it.

This spell will create a small sphere of pulsating mana in the color of the user. The sphere can grow to at most 1.5ft (~45cm) in diameter, and cannot harm in any way. It can attract anything affected by gravity, including water, stone and the likes, but can’t lift more than a combined weight of 3kg.

Redlines

- The sphere of gravity cannot grow over the size of a playerhead.

- The sphere can attract things to a small degree, but no more than a combined weight of approximately 3kg ([1] stone or [3] liters of water etc).

- The spell does not do any damage.

Orb [C] [T1]

The first combative spell in the arsenal of a gravity evocationist. 

A small sphere of gravitational mana which increases in power the more a mage casts it. Within the spoiler is the progress from a mage, and the increased power the spell gains with each Tier. This small ball cannot attract anything too heavy, but is more akin to a heavy punch in most cases. It takes [3] emotes to cast the spell, but this increases depending on the Tier.

Redlines

- The spell cannot do more damage than described in the spoiler below.

- The spell takes [3] emotes to cast at T1-3. [Connect - Charge - Cast]

- The spell takes [4] emotes to cast at T4. [Connect - Charge 2x - Cast]

- The spell takes [5] emotes to cast at T5. [Connect - Charge 3x - Cast]

Spoiler

[T1] This spell, when thrown directly at someone, does nothing more than deliver a punch, only causing a bruise. When thrown past someone, they could however feel a slight imbalance.

[T2] When this spell is cast at this tier, it will, when thrown directly at someone, affect them as if punched with a strong punch, delivered by an orc. When thrown past someone wearing leather or cloth, it will pull aside, as if someone is pulling on it. Light weapons (shortswords, bows etc) will also get pulled aside, but not leave the grip of the wielder.

[T3] At this tier, the spell, when thrown directly at the opponent, will cause them to stumble back [1] block. When thrown past someone, it will cause them to drop light weapons, the weapons being pulled from their hands.

[T4] At this tier, the spell will cause someone to stumble back [3] blocks when thrown at someone’s chest, and pull weapons of medium weight (Crossbows, arming/longswords, one-handed axes etc) out of a wielders hand when thrown past them, as well as make them stumble aside [1] blocks.

[T5] The most powerful version of this spell. When thrown at someone directly, it will cause them to stumble back [5] blocks, as well as crack some ribs. When thrown past someone, all weapons will go flying, though heavy weaponry will of course stay closer to the wielder than light weaponry. The people closest to the ball will be made to stumble aside [2] blocks.

Levitate [N] [T1]

The ability to make objects float is very useful, and gained multiple ways.

Focus mana upon an object, decreasing the gravity around it to make it float. This spell is similar to those found in Telekinesis and House Magery. The more the mage practices, the stronger the spell gets and the more they can lift using the spell.

Redlines

- This ability cannot be directly used in combat. (Cannonballs can be loaded however).

- The spell can only affect what is said within the spoiler.

- This spell may not be used to fly, or make someone else fly.

- It takes [3] emotes to cast the spell. [Connect - Charge - Cast]

Spoiler

[T1] One can only lift a metallic object the size of a flowerpot, and a wooden object the size of a playerhead. They can also only lift [1] object at a time. It can also be only kept up for [3] emotes before it drops and one needs to recast.

[T2] One can only lift a metallic object the size of a playerhead, and a wooden object the size of a slab. They can also only lift [1] object at a time. It can also be only kept up for [4] emotes before it drops and one needs to recast.

[T3] One can only lift a metallic object the size of a slab, and a wooden object the size of [1] full block. They can also only lift [1] object at a time. It can also be only kept up for [5] emotes before it drops and one needs to recast.

[T4] One can lift a metallic object the size of [1] full block, and a wooden object the size of [2] blocks. They can also now lift [2] objects at the same time. It can also be only kept up for [6] emotes before it drops and one needs to recast.

[T5] One can now lift a metallic object the size of [2] blocks, and a wooden object the size of [3] blocks. They can also now lift [3] objects at once. It can also be only kept up for [8] emotes before it drops and one needs to recast.

Gravitational Flux [C] [T2]

The weight of one’s weapon is fundamental for their ability to fight. Changing this may confuse the opponent.

Increase or decrease the gravity upon an object to make it lighter or heavier. It can be switched around, though that takes 1 emote. It may be cast upon ones own weapon, or on that of someone else.

Redlines

- A weapon may only have its weight halved or tripled.

- To affect one's own weapon, it takes [2] emotes. [Connect - Cast]

- To affect someone else’s weapon, it takes [3] emotes. [Connect - Telegraph - Cast]

- To cast on someone else's weapon, they need to be within a [5] block range.

Surged Resistance [C] [T2]

A surge of energy that slows everything in its radius down.

Create a small area in which gravity is increased, slowing down the opponent. This spell is a weaker and simpler version of Gravitational Field, and will slow opponents down by increasing the gravity around their feet for a few moments.

Redlines

- This spell can be used for crowd control.

- While in the radius of the spell, the player's movement speed is tripartite (divided by three) of what it would be, but rounded up. (6 blocks = 2 blocks, 8 blocks = 3 blocks)

- The slowness affects anything within a [5] block diameter of the center of the spell.

The spell's effect passively remains for [2] emotes, but this can be extended to [4] emotes by concentration.

- It takes [3] emotes to cast the spell. [Connect - Place Anchor/Choose location - Cast]

Feathery Feet [A] [N] [T3]

Some say that the gravity around a Gravity Evocationist is changed in due time.

Gravity Evocationists may choose to not touch the ground. They may cast this spell upon themselves to float comfortably above the ground without focussing on their Mana. When they want to go higher, they will need to concentrate for it.

Redlines

- A mage can passively only float [30cm] above the ground.

- When floating passively, one can cast other spells.

- When concentrating, this height can increase to [1.5m].

- The spell can only be used on the caster themselves.

- To start the spell takes [2] emotes. [Connect - Cast]

- To increase distance takes at least [2] emotes. [Connect - Rise (20cm/emote)]

- When someone enters physical combat, they will float back to the ground.

- The floating takes getting used to, and such should be Roleplayed.

- The spell cannot help someone get anywhere they can't get mechanically.

Attract [C] [T3]

Deflecting or redirecting projectiles is a very useful skill for those weakened by The Void.

Create a point somewhere near oneself where gravity is stronger, diverting all incoming ranged attacks at arrow speed or lower to that point. To cast, one needs to focus themselves upon a single spot within 5 blocks of the mage.

Redlines

- The redirection works on anything with a physical weight, including Earth and Life Evocation.

- The spell takes [4] emotes to cast. [Connect - Place Anchor - Charge - Cast]

- This spell can be held up for [4] emotes, though a mage needs to concentrate on it.

- The spell only diverts things up to arrow speed at most.

Crush [C] [T4]

Intensify the gravity within someone to crush them from within.

Increase the gravity within something to make them implode. Only if held on for a certain amount of time will it kill, since the pressure will gradually increase. Ofcourse, the pressure builds up gradually.

The pressure building up over the course of the [5] emotes that follow the casting will first seem to do nothing, but eventually will even pull in metal armor, bending it inwards into the chest of the target. If nothing has been done after [5] emotes, the target will be knocked out.

Redlines

- The range of the spell is [15] blocks, anything outside of that is out of range. 

- If someone moves outside of the range while the spell is actively being cast on them, the spell loses its potency.

- The spell takes [4] emotes to cast. [Connect - Choose Target - Telegraph - Cast]

- The spell will gradually hurt more and more over the course of [5] emotes. The mage needs to keep concentrating for it to work.

- Metal armor may be pulled in around the chest of the target after [4] emotes.

- If nothing is done to break the concentration after [5] emotes, the target will get knocked out for at least [2] emotes.

- The spell may be used to crush objects as well. Wood will break after [2] emotes, stone after [4].

- This ability can hypothetically kill, but only with consent of the player it’s being used on.

Gravitational Field [C] [T5]

A master of Gravity Evocation may choose to create a sort of forcefield around them for protection.

Create a field of either decreased or increased gravity around oneself or a desired point, making it easier or harder to move around. This naturally is the hardest skill to master, and can only be learnt if one already has learnt all other spells Gravity Evocation has to offer.

With this spell, a mage creates a [12x12] block area around themselves or a desired location where they may choose to either increase or decrease the gravity, making it harder for anyone to move around. The spell is passively held up for [2] emotes after stopping with concentrating on it.

Redlines

- This spell can only be learnt if one has already mastered all other spells.

- This spell takes [5] emotes to cast around the mage. When cast around the mage, the diameter will have at most the size of [12x12] blocks. [Connect - Charge 3x - Cast]

- To cast the spell upon a desired area will decrease the size to at most [8x8], and takes [6] emotes. [Connect - Charge 4x - Cast]

- Casting the spell away from the mage may only be in line of sight, and at most with a center [12] blocks away from the Mage.

- The spell duration can be extended to at most [6] emotes.

- The spell will endure [2] emotes after stopping concentrating on it, but prevents the mage from casting anything else.

divider-5318234_1280.png

General Redlines

- Gravity Evocation cannot be used to grief or destroy builds in any way, unless approved by both the PRO and ST.

- Gravity Evocation cannot be someone's first magic due to its complexity.

- Most Gravity Evocation spells will pull smaller stones etc to themselves, though these don’t do any additional damage, and are only aesthetic.

divider-5318234_1280.png

Tier Progression

T1 - Novice

As a Novice, a mage just starts with studying the powers of gravity. They may use the abilities Conjure Gravity, Orb and Levitate. This tier lasts [3] OOC weeks.

T2 - Apprentice

After 3 weeks of study, the Gravity Evocationist may use Gravitational Flux and Surged Resistance in their arsenal. This tier lasts another [3] OOC weeks. (6 in total thus far).

T3 - Adept

After 6 total weeks of study, the mage may unlock the next few spells, being Feathery Feet and Attract. This tier lasts 6 weeks. (12 in total thus far).

T4 - Expert

After 12 weeks, one may finally consider themselves an Expert on Gravity Evocation. They also are capable of learning the spell Crush, and can use that in their arsenal. This tier lasts another 6 weeks. (18 in total thus far)

T5 - Master

After 18 weeks of hard study, one has mastered everything gravity has to offer. They may now use the spell Gravitational Field, as well as make a [TA] to spread the magic to others.

divider-5318234_1280.png

Purpose (OOC)

The writing of this piece was a combination of my boredom and Air’s genius’. They had already started working out something, but got stuck at some point, and I got permission to re-use and rework some of what they had already written for this piece. I made the time between Tiers longer than usual for Evocations, because I’m of the opinion that Gravity is something harder to master than the “normal” elements.

I made it, because I’m currently of the opinion that gravity, being a natural phenomenon, should be something able to be recreated with the power of The Void, hence the creation of this piece.

divider-5318234_1280.png

Credits

_Grey_W0lf_: Main Writer/Ideas

Air: Previous Experience/Writing/Ideas

Mordu: Previous Experience/Advice

Olandyr: Previous Experience/Advice

Dire Swift: Advice/Proofreading

AlexMagus: Advice/Spell Check

The Mages Guild: Advice/listening to my rambling

divider-5318234_1280.png

Citations (spoiler)

Spoiler

[layout]

[Inspiration]

[Inspiration]

Wow. Very good and original. I like it. +1

Very interesting. But I am unsure how I feel about it being able to make other people's weapons heavier or lighter. 

are you able to adjust the purple, it burns my eyes

2 minutes ago, Evonpire said:

Very interesting. But I am unsure how I feel about it being able to make other people's weapons heavier or lighter. 

It's a first draft. We'll see what ST has to say about it, and then we work from there.

1 minute ago, UnBaed said:

are you able to adjust the purple, it burns my eyes

And sorry, it felt like the best colour considering the title isn't made by me, and I wanted to keep to one theme and colour

Love the piece - very clearly written spells and redlines and neatly formatted, +1 

27 minutes ago, _Grey_W0lf_ said:

I made it, because I’m currently of the opinion that gravity, being a natural phenomenon, should be something able to be recreated with the power of The Void, hence the creation of this piece.

Absolutely dig this - I was working on a similar idea, but I think you said it best, naturally occurring phenomenon should be able to be recreated within The Void and used in Evocations similar to this. Hope this passes and hope to see more poking into Voidal stuff like this!

Feedback

Orb - this is just Gust from Air Evocation, but stronger. You even used a lot of its descriptions - this is a fundamentally flawed thing you should not do when designing a magic, in my opinion. You don't want to just take an ability from another magic, make it better, then put it in your write

Levitate - the flavor is fine, but again this is already a thing used in other lores. Specifying that cannonballs can be loaded is kind of weird, but I guess it's not problematic?

Gravitational Flux - probably needs many more mechanical specifications for it to work, also no sense it making it tripling the weight, you're just straight up making it stronger than blood magic earth rune (which is also really busted). Should probably specify how this works with enchantments, or if it can at all.

Feathery Feet - again just replicating something that occurs in different lores but I suppose this one is more fine

Attract - uhhh.... that's broken. Needs a weight limit on the projectile, this is stronger than any other defensive spell in existence. I get that it's 4 emotes so it might be warranted, but this could have some really ridiculous applications

Crush - the effect of this spell is too potent. Cap it on making someone unconscious - just because it takes many emotes does not mean it's okay to have a spell this strong, and probably make it so it's obvious you're casting this spell - I can already imagine a situation of someone stealthily killing someone in a crowd in broad daylight with this. Also the effect of it is too nonspecific - what is actually happening to the target on each emote?

Gravitational Field - it isn't quite clear from your description what exactly this spell is doing. Same rules as Surged Resistance? I guess this spell is fine in that case.

Overall it's a little OP and lacks original spell-effects other than Surged Resistance and Gravitational Field, otherwise seeming like a more powerful version of other existing lores.

I like it. I can finally roleplay C-Moon +1. Redlines are clear and set perfectly reasonable boundaries to the magic. 

9 minutes ago, sam33497 said:

Feedback

Orb - this is just Gust from Air Evocation, but stronger. You even used a lot of its descriptions - this is a fundamentally flawed thing you should not do when designing a magic, in my opinion. You don't want to just take an ability from another magic, make it better, then put it in your write

Levitate - the flavor is fine, but again this is already a thing used in other lores. Specifying that cannonballs can be loaded is kind of weird, but I guess it's not problematic?

Gravitational Flux - probably needs many more mechanical specifications for it to work, also no sense it making it tripling the weight, you're just straight up making it stronger than blood magic earth rune (which is also really busted). Should probably specify how this works with enchantments, or if it can at all.

Feathery Feet - again just replicating something that occurs in different lores but I suppose this one is more fine

Attract - uhhh.... that's broken. Needs a weight limit on the projectile, this is stronger than any other defensive spell in existence. I get that it's 4 emotes so it might be warranted, but this could have some really ridiculous applications

Crush - the effect of this spell is too potent. Cap it on making someone unconscious - just because it takes many emotes does not mean it's okay to have a spell this strong, and probably make it so it's obvious you're casting this spell - I can already imagine a situation of someone stealthily killing someone in a crowd in broad daylight with this.

Gravitational Field - it isn't quite clear from your description what exactly this spell is doing. Same rules as Surged Resistance? I guess this spell is fine in that case.

Overall it's a little OP and lacks original spell-effects other than Surged Resistance and Gravitational Field, otherwise seeming like a more powerful version of other existing lores.

I will certainly take this into account. Might even ask you to look over the next piece of lore I write before I post it! 😁

I don't like it because it was written by you.

This is actually kinda cool. 

-Weird that it can only be learnt if someone already has a voidal MA. You could argue that Translo or Transfig is also a complex magic, even more complex than gravity, but you don't need to have another voidal magic
-What does it mean for something to be an "Ability"? Seems odd that that's included, does it mean to differenciate between "Passive" and "Active"? If so, why not just use those indicators
-Conjure Gravity seems kinda lame as far as Conjure spells go. It has little creativity and I think I can just do more with Alter Position or a Telekinetic limb
-Orb is a MUCH more powerful gust. Shooting someone with an orc strength punch at T2? If we're comparing it to Gust, then a T2 gust makes someone feel uncomfortable. It's crazy to have it so strong
-Why is Orb able to disarm? or cause a force on someone directly? Force caused by Gravity should be hitting someone with something physical by making something telekin- sorry, gravitationally shoot at them. A disarm should be a completely different spell if done at all
-Why is Levitate its own thing? Just combine it with Conjure Gravity and call it a day, Conjure Gravity should be overall spell for Non-Combative use in this magic, just like other voidal magics
-Gravitational Fluxdoesn't really explain what effect this has on the holder of the weapon, sure it changes weight, but does it also change density? If someone gets hit with something that has "halved weight" in the user's hands, does it do the same amount of damage as normal or does it do less? Why are the emote counts in the Redlines and not the mechanics? 5 block range is SUPER low. That's not even all of Quiet
-Surged Resistance says in the redlines that it can be used for crowd control... why is that there? It's a radius spell is it not?
-Surged Resistance says that it has a 5 block diameter, which is about a 2.5 block radius, but it doesnt say how far you can put this from yourself
-Surged Resistance Why do divided by 3 on a T2 spell? It might work better if it was a scaling spell where the strength increased the higher of a tier you cast at
-Feathery Feet: Same as Levitate, just add it to Conjure Gravity, and you should only passively be floating if you're connected
-Can Attract be used to shoot projectiles into someone else? Can it be used on arrows and whatnot or only things like Earth and Life Evocation projectiles? What happens if a projectile made of gas comes at you? Technically that's still effected by gravity
-Crush is a stupidly powerful spell, I believe. You only have 4 emotes that you have to cast it, not the usual 5 that super powerful spells have or the 6 that stuff like making a Tornado needs. You say it has a range of 15 blocks, does that mean that EVERYTHING in 15 meters of wherever is under this? So you could knock out everyone in a 15 meter radius (or kill) in 5 emotes if they're all standing there
-Crush should not be able to kill, that's reserved for T5 spells, for the most part, but even then, people die from their injuries, not from being hit by the spell
-How far away can you cast Crush?
-For Gravitational Field, what's the effect it puts on people? What exactly does it do besides "making it harder to move"? What does that entail? Why does the range decrease if you put it in an area rather than around you? Is the mage also effected by this spell? Why does it last for 2 emotes after the mage stops concentrating? Losing/Stopping concentration should halt the spell from taking mana, thus ending it. This also feels a LOT less powerful than Crush which you said can KILL SOMEONE
-Why does it take 18 weeks rather than the typical 16 that all other voidal magics, bar feats, have?

Overall, it seems HEAVILY unbalanced and very rushed. Take more time on it, add more stuff, balance things more. Descriptions should add flavor to the lore, it shouldn't just be all about the spells, the descriptions are also good. Most spells don't have half a line explaining what the spell does(the italics parts you have). Also, you don't need that ST note. You get to pick grandfathers if it gets accepted(which it won't in this state tbh). Telekinesis would just be better than Gravity Evo, you can do everything this can and more

+1 cause I think it’s cool, but not really optimistic since telekinesis is/was already a thing and has been kind of filed under transfiguration now. Either way, I don’t think they’d let us have gravity before lightning :/ Fun to read tho!